Author Topic: Share the FILM  (Read 9717 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Share the FILM
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:18:09 AM »
I thought that there might be some interest in a thread that is akin to the "Share the Love" series of threads wherein equipment is traded for only the cost of shipping, only with film instead. Many of us here are either over-stocked (i.e. significant other is upset because there is no longer room in the fridge for food) or we just have something interesting/unusual to share with others. So it will go like this. I will kick off by offering 2 x 24exp. rolls of 35mm Ektachrome Slide Duplicating film expired 1981. The film has been tested and does indeed produce images. Sample images HERE, HERE and HERE.

All you need to do, is to claim it and follow up with a PM to me with your address. I will get back to you with shipping cost (I am in the US) and preferred payment method. Then you MUST add an offer of film from your own stock to this thread. Like I said before, it would be preferable to offer something everyone doesn't already have, but if you really only have access to Tri-x, then I think we will let it slide as long as it doesn't become a habit. All film formats are welcome, but again, if someone is snapping up all of the 4x5 and offering a single 12exp roll of 35mm, that will draw some negative attention. I feel a little silly saying all of that since I have never seen a more generous, kind and considerate group of people on a board than we have here.

So there you are. Who wants the Slide Dupe film? It's free for the asking! :)

James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Re: Share the FILM
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »
Good Idea, very good idea. I will start rummaging in my fridge forthwith.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:24:10 AM »
Thought I would give this a bump to see if there is truly no interest or if I just had bad timing.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Terry

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »
This is too good an idea to let it die.  I'll take the dupe film and offer two rolls of Neopan SS exp. 09/2011
Edit: forgot to mention it's 35mm 36 exp
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:59:52 AM by Terry »

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:56:18 AM »
That sounds like fun, I'll see what i got in the fridge in the morning. May i also trade 120 vs 35 mm? I got loads of 120 that i'm not using. Freezer stored and all! Quite o lot of slide there, velvia 50  ektachrome 100...

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:33:08 AM »
I think we can keep it open to all formats Peter. Terry, pm me your address and I will get this posted probably early next week.
The current offer is two rolls of expired Neopan from Terry.
Flickr
Blogger

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:45:59 AM »
Should we keep it simple and just say two rolls at a time? Or should we just let things flow as they may?

I will rummage in the fridge this evening, and will offer up a few alternatives, I've been lucky in that a friend has gifted me all sorts of films over the past couple of years, and I can't keep up.

Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:20:25 AM »
it's a great idea and I'll jump in when I can... :-)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 12:44:47 PM »
Peter84's comment regarding "loads of 120 flm that I'm not using" is music to my ears. If he's offering up some, then I'm interested.  I have a couple of oddities (not rare - but not film I'm overly familiar with) that I can offer down the line....  Details to follow when I'm back home.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
Id be willing to send along a couple rolls of DoubleX for a couple rolls of ektachrome 120

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »
Should we keep it simple and just say two rolls at a time? Or should we just let things flow as they may?
I think we can maybe set the minimum at two rolls and just let people offer whatever they want to from there.

In order to keep this from descending into chaos, let's keep the thread linear just like the Share The Love thread with one offer on the table at a time. Of course if someone says, "I have loads" then they are opening themselves to trades 'off the books', but that should be done via private message. The idea of this thread is really just to grease the gears of exploration and experimentation with films that we wouldn't normally buy or that are hard to find.

Thanks everyone for jumping in. I think this will be fun. Once the trades start being made, someone should start a thread with some shots from their shared film.

James
Flickr
Blogger

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
I'm interested in participating and have some cool film to share but was waiting for something to pop up that I'd be likely to shoot.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »
Welcome aboard Adam. These threads can turn into a bit of a waiting game. Maybe indicate what you might like to see and it could prompt someone to put something up that they otherwise wouldn't. On the equipment thread, things would sometimes go unclaimed for quite a while, so keep checking back or subscribe to the thread so you get notified of new posts. That way you will keep up and are less likely to miss something you really want.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:47:33 PM by jharr »
Flickr
Blogger

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
Peter84's comment regarding "loads of 120 flm that I'm not using" is music to my ears. If he's offering up some, then I'm interested.  I have a couple of oddities (not rare - but not film I'm overly familiar with) that I can offer down the line....  Details to follow when I'm back home.

Of course send me a message with what you have to offer and I'm sure we work it out.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »
nice to mention that the first two packages with films are on there way, between Tintin and I, still got 120 rolls of velvia 50 and ektachrome 100 to spare!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »
Great to hear Peter. I think that trade was 'outside' the flow of the thread, but it's good to see some exchanges happening. Still on offer is Terry's expired Neopan.
Flickr
Blogger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »
I've got 2 rolls of Kodak EPR (Ektachrome 64) 120. No idea what expiry date as, although it's still foil wrapped, it's not in the box. Any interest. Happy to swap for 120 Portra 160 or slow B&W

PM me if interested.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 12:11:10 AM »
Since there are some trades outside the thread (including mine with James!) I'll offer up two hand rolled reusable 35mm plastic cartridges of any of the following:

Ektachrome Slide Duplicating film (5071 / sp 663) exp. 02/1981
Kodak Imagelink HQ microfilm (sp 425) exp. 12/1993
Kodalith (6556 type 3) exp. 12/1998
Direct Positive Panchromatic film (5246) 12/1987
Tri-X exp 2003 & exp. 1991 (different emulsions I believe or so I've been led to believe)
Kodak Plus X exp. 12/1965 (that's the correct expiry date - its gnarly stuff)
Kodak Recordak Dacomatic A (5461) exp. 12/1976

and these two are already rolled & taped into re-purposed 35mm cartridges:
Hawkeye Traffic Surveillance color film exp. 2011
Kodak Commercial Internegative film exp. 1991

All that stuff is currently in the freezer.

I'd trade for nearly anything 120 or 35mm except Neopan SS (no offence Terry). I have a lot of old stuff so maybe something fresher? PM me if interested in a trade.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
interesting collection of films there, mike! :)
/jonas

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 06:07:14 AM »
Ha! Don't tell my wife!

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
That is a pretty hilarious list Mike! I wlll not tell your wife - tho she probably knows and pretends she doesn't - Reb knows all ;-)

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
Ok, I am going to take Terry's Neopan SS and offer 2 x 36 exposure 35mm rolls of 9/1981 expired "Professional" b/w film (seems to be FP4 or some sort of Ilford). See this thread for example pics.

James
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »
Oh my wife knows all too well because she loves that Hawkeye Traffic Surveillance film!

I just got the Recordak Dacomatic A (400 ft!) in the mail the other day and my son was trying to use it as a hockey puck! 

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
400ft! yikes!  :o

Mike, you might so much film you may have to start up a side business such as http://www.labeauratoire.com/film/ -- whom Mike Raso endearingly refers to as "Lance from Belguim."  :)

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 08:23:47 PM »
Funny you should mention that as I was considering it. I've dug up some old 100ft reels that will fit the rollers and plan to reroll it on those and store it in old Tri-X tins I accumulated. Once I've done that I can roll some cassettes, shoot and figure out how to develop it. After that we'll see.

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:05 AM »
I thought I might bump this one up again as it seems to have gone cold.

I'd love to try some Xray film! Anyone have some to trade?

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
I have lost track of who is offering what, as there has been discussions about films to be traded outside the thread. I have a bit of this and that, that I could offer. But it is definitely not my turn, yet.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:55 PM »
I think I am the one offering currently. In reply #21 I took Terry's Neopan SS and offered 2 rolls of B/W "Professional" film. Since no one snatched that up, and Mike has expressed interest in x-ray film, I will switch the offer to five 8x10 sheets of Kodak Clinic Select Green. Yes! That's 20 sheets of 4x5 after you cut it down! Let me know if you want it cut down and I can manage that for you.

James
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:39:31 PM by jharr »
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »
Sheet film! Ok I wasn't even thinking that about that stuff! What I was looking for was this 35mm film that was used for Xray work (I'm assuming for dental work or scientific work).

Sadly, I don't have anything I can use for sheet film and a recent birthday present to myself (once I get I'll post some pictures)  precludes me from picking up a camera for sheet film.

So I'll have to pass on that but I think that sounds like a cool offer though!

And again if anyone is interested in anything in the above list let me know.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
Sheet film! Ok I wasn't even thinking that about that stuff! What I was looking for was this 35mm film that was used for Xray work (I'm assuming for dental work or scientific work).

Sadly, I don't have anything I can use for sheet film and a recent birthday present to myself (once I get I'll post some pictures)  precludes me from picking up a camera for sheet film.

I have never heard of x-ray roll film. Hmm. Will have to look into that. The sheet film is great for pinholes since it seems to have almost no reciprocity failure.
http://jamesharrphoto.blogspot.com/2013/09/new-8x10-pinhole.html

Good luck!
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 01:05:49 AM »
Hmm. That's something worth looking at, thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I'm in a place to take that on right now but maybe later in the year.

Sbode

• 35mm
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
I have some 120 Konica infrared 2 rolls for 2 rolls of ektachrome 35 or 120

WhyAreTwo

• 35mm
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »
If this thread is still active, and no one has stepped up for the X-ray film, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »
If this thread is still active, and no one has stepped up for the X-ray film, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Not sure it is X-ray but I've got a roll of Vari-X a uhm Cineradiography film, nice scrabble-word...

Also look here http://www.labeauratoire.com/film/varicath/index.html

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
Are you up for another trade Peter for that Cineradiography film?

WhyAreTwo, do you have something to offer to James for the X-Ray sheet film?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:53:02 PM by Hungry Mike »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:10 PM »

WhyAreTwo, do you have something to offer to James for the X-Ray sheet film?

He doesn't necessarily offer it to me, but to the thread. I take Terry's Neopan and offer the CSG to the thread. WhyAreTwo takes the CSG and offers something else to the thread. It's a chain like that.
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 11:04:39 PM »
Of course, its been a bit of a free for all lately!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 11:09:22 PM »
Of course, its been a bit of a free for all lately!

Yes, if I was a better thread owner, I'd bring the hammer down on all of you!!  :D  Actually, it is just good to see people getting new films and trying them out. It adds to our collective knowledge. A little bit of chaos is okay by me as long as there are some tasty offers going around.
Flickr
Blogger

WhyAreTwo

• 35mm
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 12:57:08 AM »
Ok, how about a case of "pick the format that suits you? "

For 35mm shooters a hodge podge; 1 roll each of Portra 160nc, 400nc, 400uc, Konica Infrared 750, and Velvia 100f.

or

For MF shooters 3 rolls of 220 Portra; 1x160nc and 2x400nc.

All expired. Refrigerated since purchased expired from the local camera store.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »
Ok, WhyAreTwo got the x-ray sheets and is offering what I think is a generous choice of a couple of formats. If no one jumps on these, I will have to make the sacrifice and take some for myself!  ;)

James
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
I'll bite. I'll take the 35mm 400nc & 400uc from WhyAreTwo. I'll PM with my details.

To offer, anything from the above list that I posted with the inclusion of some Dacomatic A (we are discussing it in this thread http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6949.0), Eastman Fine Grain Release Positive Film 5302 and some Tri-X from the 60s.  If no one is interested in that stuff let me know and I will dig through the cache for something else.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:48:19 PM by Hungry Mike »

WhyAreTwo

• 35mm
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 06:50:07 AM »
The 35mm bundle is now wending its way to Mike.

I could definitely see myself grabbing some of that 5302, but I'll resist... for now.

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »
I thought I would give this a bump as I just got the generous pile of film from WhyAreTwo. My offer still stands - anything from the following list:

Ektachrome Slide Duplicating film (5071 / sp 663) exp. 02/1981
Kodak Imagelink HQ microfilm (sp 425) exp. 12/1993
Kodalith (6556 type 3) exp. 12/1998
Direct Positive Panchromatic film (5246) 12/1987
Tri-X exp 2003, exp. 1991, exp. 1966
Kodak Plus X exp. 12/1965
Kodak Recordak Dacomatic A (5461) exp. 12/1976 (works well with Bluefire HR @ 80ISO)
Eastman Fine Grain Release Positive Film 5302

and these in re-purposed 35mm cartridges:
Hawkeye Traffic Surveillance color film exp. 2011
Kodak Commercial Internegative film exp. 1991