Author Topic: Ektachrome Slide Dupe Film  (Read 6379 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Ektachrome Slide Dupe Film
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »
I bought some of this (exp. 2/81) and rolled a couple of test rolls. Then I cross-processed in Unicolor C-41. The exposure is off, but I got a few 'interesting' images. The image below is pretty darn saturated compared to the actual colors.

http://jamesharrphoto.blogspot.com/2013/12/slide-duplicating-film.html

Open Seed Pods by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
Re: Ektachrome Slide Dupe Film
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:10 AM »
Interesting results. Those Pens always seem to bring the grain out.

I haven't rolled any of the Ektachrome Slide Dupe Film I have yet (I think mine expired in the 70's) but when I get some results I'll post here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:19:15 AM by Hungry Mike »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:55 AM »
I haven't rolled any of the Ektachrome Slide Dupe Film I have yet (I think mine expired in the 70's) but when I get some results I'll post here.

Aw man! I thought you would have loaded and shot yours already! Well, looking forward to your results. What iso were you planning to shoot this at? My reading led me to believe that 50 was going to be WAY high, but it turned out too low.

James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:24:58 AM »
Ha! I have a little bulk film habit! And the weirder & the older the film the better!

Currently working with Kodalith, Plus X which expired in '65, Tri-X from the 80's, Hawkeye Traffic Surveillance film and Kodak Commercial Internegative film. The closest to the Ektachrome dupe stuff I'm using now is that internegative film, a C41 film used to copy slide film & has a low ISO. Supposedly similar to Vericolor. Here's an example:

A friend shot some in a Holga and it looked like it was from another planet... another planet as depicted in a cheap 60's B-movie!

As for shooting that Ektachrome dupe film, I was thinking of using it in an OM2n and shooting it at ISO12 to start with and moving on up from there. It'll depend I guess on what conditions are like in the next few weeks. It gets so overcast here this time of year here in southern Ontario that I might not have too many days to use it. I'm guessing it needs bright days. I'd like to try to develop it at home but I haven't picked up a kit (C41 or E6) yet. Probably after Christmas when I have a little more spare time. So you'll have to be patient!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:21:12 AM by Hungry Mike »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:54:15 AM »
Hey Mike, Love the interneg stuff. We should start a film exchange sort of like the Share The Love thread, but for film instead of hardware. Any thoughts on what this might be? I picked it up cheap on Etsy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:55:57 AM by jharr »
Flickr
Blogger

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 04:20:33 AM »
Looks very... Professional. Seriously though, maybe Ilford FP4+?

Oh I'd be so up for a film exchange. Say 1-5 rolls each. Forgiveness for scratches.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »
Hey Mike, Love the interneg stuff. We should start a film exchange sort of like the Share The Love thread, but for film instead of hardware. Any thoughts on what this might be? I picked it up cheap on Etsy.

I just love mystery film  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
Ooooo that's a lovely image with slide dupe! Is that 35mm?  I have some 70mm (with back and cassettes for my ETRSi) that I'm hoping to use in the New Year.  I think mine's tungsten balanced, and I'm intending to rate it at around 6iso initially...

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:53:03 PM »
Ooooo that's a lovely image with slide dupe! Is that 35mm?  I have some 70mm (with back and cassettes for my ETRSi) that I'm hoping to use in the New Year.  I think mine's tungsten balanced, and I'm intending to rate it at around 6iso initially...

Thanks LEAF. Yes, 35mm. I wonder why my roll seems to be so much faster than others?? These negs at iso 50 seem really dense. Ah well, wasting film is all about the experimentation, right? Post some of your 70mm shots here when you have them!
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Since it's dupe film, the sensitivity is probably different whether it's shot on tungsten or daylight (which is the equivalent to xenon tube in the specs)
Francois

Terry

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
OK--I've got some TXP (Tri-X?) with a 1972 expiry date.  Any suggested ISO?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »
If it's the version with an ISO of 320, I'd go for EI 15
If it's the 400 ASA version, I'd go EI 25

This is for 1 stop added exposure per 10 years of expiration rounded up to the nearest DX value.
Francois

Terry

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 02:41:50 AM »
Thanks Francois!  I figured you'd know what to do.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

Thanks LEAF. Yes, 35mm. I wonder why my roll seems to be so much faster than others?? These negs at iso 50 seem really dense. Ah well, wasting film is all about the experimentation, right? Post some of your 70mm shots here when you have them!

Yes I will, definitely jharr! Thanks!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »
Years ago, I actually wrote a small program to do such calculations the easy way. It was part of by big darkroom suite. But since it's probably the single most used feature of the suite, I pulled it out and made a small installer for it. Here's the link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1dmZoIlURfDTXQwNnFTZ2dnNlU/edit?usp=sharing

Just put in the expiration date, the ISO and hit calculate. It spits out everything you need to know. It doesn't use the registry or even ini files. It's just a dumb specialized calculator.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 09:33:46 PM »
I've tried it recently (crossed in c-41)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »
I must say that this is not half bad!
I wasn't expecting soft tones from an Xprocess negative!
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 11:43:19 PM »
I've tried it recently (crossed in c-41)
Nice photo. Now give it up. What iso did you shoot at and was it mostly window light or tungsten light?
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
I dialed in iso25 on the camera for this. the box said ei:31 (aparently it used to not have a set iso but ei depending on how the master roll came out.)

here are some shots in varying light :)
/jonas

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 06:38:41 AM »
Just a couple more from a recent roll exposed at iso 25. I know I said I was going to 100, but I rolled 2 and decided to give the low iso another chance. I think I like it.

Rakes by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Fall foliage 1 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
Flickr
Blogger

Sbode

• 35mm
Ektachrome Slide Dupe Film
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »
Years ago, I actually wrote a small program to do such calculations the easy way. It was part of by big darkroom suite. But since it's probably the single most used feature of the suite, I pulled it out and made a small installer for it. Here's the link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1dmZoIlURfDTXQwNnFTZ2dnNlU/edit?usp=sharing

Just put in the expiration date, the ISO and hit calculate. It spits out everything you need to know. It doesn't use the registry or even ini files. It's just a dumb specialized calculator.

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 05:13:23 AM »
I like the look of the low ISO on those shots, Jharr. I think I will shoot the same instead of whatever mad plan I had initially decided when I impulsively bought my 100 foot roll.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 05:17:54 AM »
Sbode, thanks for the links. The problem is that there is no iso marking on the box or the can or the documentation inside. So then I am left with experimentation which seems to be working out fine. 25 seems to be a reasonable daylight speed for this film though I could probably go lower. Different people seem to get different results, but I am also cross-processing, so that could be affecting the speed as well. I am going to try a roll of redscale with this as well, so then I will need to go even lower, maybe iso 6 or so. It's all good fun since this probably won't be a 'regular' in my fridge after I run through these 100ft.

James
Flickr
Blogger