Author Topic: Can you push process C41?  (Read 8075 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Can you push process C41?
« on: January 25, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
As title, I've done some googling but not found anything usefull, I expected as its a "set" process it would have been x minutes extra per stop in the developer, but this info seems elusive

Anyone done this with any success?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:52:55 AM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Re: Can you push process C41?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »
Thanks for that, both interesting reading

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
I know it's doable. But you get strange color shifts with the process. It's usually recommended for stage photography as the lights already screw-up the balance anyways.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »
Did someone say "strange color shifts"? Might have to try this...  ;)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
Underexposing and normal processing may give colour shifts. No need to push process to get that ;) . If you're going to scan the film, then correcting white balance is easy enough.

Portra 400 has gained a reputation for being very robust to both over and underexposure, with little need for pushing or pulling. From 100-1600 on the same roll is doable. I've done 100-800 and hardly noticed any ill effect. Overexposed images tend to gain more grain in the highlights, underexposed more mirky shadows.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »
I guess we're at a point where pushing C-41 film can be a no-choice option. There used to be Fantastic 1600 ISO film by Fuji and a mind blowing 3200 film from Konica.... all gone. All that's left is Portra 800
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:04:18 PM »
If you're going to scan the film, then correcting white balance is easy enough.

The potential problem is that the three layers will react differently and so you can get different colour shifts in the highlights than in the shadows and that can't be fixed with white balance. You would have to individually change the curves. But in reality it's probably not a big enough problem to worry about.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
Exactly.
Francois

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:46 AM »
I was just admiring some indoor shots on Ektar 100 pushed to 400 the other day.

Turns out, we have some right here on the board. :)

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=2149.msg19504#msg19504

I like Ektar on cloudy days and I have a 120 roll burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm going to try it. My local lab charges something like $1 per stop either direction, but worth the experiment.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 08:49:50 AM »
If you're going to scan the film, then correcting white balance is easy enough.

The potential problem is that the three layers will react differently and so you can get different colour shifts in the highlights than in the shadows and that can't be fixed with white balance. You would have to individually change the curves. But in reality it's probably not a big enough problem to worry about.

You are right of course. But once you get the hang of it, it isn't that difficult. Then again, I do not batch scan films, I adjust scanning parameters for each and every frame I find worth scanning.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
Two examples of Kodak portra 400 pushed to 1600, both indoors.

And hi to all Filmwasters fellas!! I have not been posting for a while but I have kept visiting and enjoying the forum  8)

Pentax 67 55mm kodak portra 400 pushed to 1600 by calbisu, on Flickr

Pentax 67 Kodak portra 400 pushed to 1600 by calbisu, on Flickr

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »

I like Ektar on cloudy days and I have a 120 roll burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm going to try it. My local lab charges something like $1 per stop either direction, but worth the experiment.

Not bad. But to be honest, can't quite see the point of pushing Ektar to 400, when there are still quite a few 400 emulsions still available. But pushing 400 and 800 stocks to 1600 and beyond I do understand, other options sadly lacking.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 05:31:32 PM »
I guess we're at a point where pushing C-41 film can be a no-choice option. There used to be Fantastic 1600 ISO film by Fuji and a mind blowing 3200 film from Konica.... all gone. All that's left is Portra 800
Ive just been given some fuji 1600 about 8 years out of date

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:20 AM »
Pushing some Fuji Superia 400 35mm to 1600 was pretty easy. This cheap film performed really well, just followed what it said in the package and scanned with very little color adjustment and little grain.

img027 by Cadha13, on Flickr

The cheap Fuji films and Portra tend to push very well.

I tend to pull some old film, like some Konica 160 to 50 I have and develop at normal time and blix for another 2-3 minutes more. Just trying to clear out the base fog and restore as much of the image as well. Getting some crazy color shifts is pretty normal.

01 by Cadha13, on Flickr

It's fun to experiment, it's always interesting.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 05:55:32 AM »
Well, this is all very inspiring :) I think I shall try pushing and pulling willy-nilly, as all the color film I have is out of date and of questionable storage. And if you could introduce me to that young lass in the first picture I would greatly appreciate it :)

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
Pushing some Fuji Superia 400 35mm to 1600 was pretty easy. This cheap film performed really well, just followed what it said in the package and scanned with very little color adjustment and little grain.

The cheap Fuji films and Portra tend to push very well.

I tend to pull some old film, like some Konica 160 to 50 I have and develop at normal time and blix for another 2-3 minutes more. Just trying to clear out the base fog and restore as much of the image as well. Getting some crazy color shifts is pretty normal.

Can you confirm you are actually push/pull processing these films? Because pushing and pulling happen in development if you don't change the development time you're just under/over exposing and relying on latitude of the emulsions.

You can push C41 easily with a Tetenal kit the rule of thumb being 30 seconds extra development time per stop with fresh solution
Here is Portra 400 developed in Tetenal kit to EI 1600 development time 4 min 30 seconds.

statue by Photo Utopia, on Flickr

So pushing happens in the developer, not in the camera.
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »

Not bad. But to be honest, can't quite see the point of pushing Ektar to 400, when there are still quite a few 400 emulsions still available. But pushing 400 and 800 stocks to 1600 and beyond I do understand, other options sadly lacking.

Personally when I have pushed films is because there was not enough available light at the spot and I did not have any other film with me, so pushing the film was one, if not the only, of the available options, whereas it was tmax 100, 400 or Ektar

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:15 PM »
^welcome back! don't be a stranger now.

I'm currently running some portra 400 @800 through my M5. Not much of a push but I will have it processed at 800.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 05:26:13 AM »
Not bad. But to be honest, can't quite see the point of pushing Ektar to 400, when there are still quite a few 400 emulsions still available.

http://instagram.com/p/yORt0rrIkm/?modal=true

Because it's pretty? :)