Author Topic: Nazi Photographer identified in a few hours...  (Read 1396 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
Re: Nazi Photographer identified in a few hours...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »
fascinating. The NY Times lens blog is excellent.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:46:51 AM »
shooting with a leica sadly. Leitz's relationship to the Nazi's was a bundle of contradictions. On the one hand having set up a Freedom Train for Jewish employees on the one hand and suppling the Third Reich with the Luftwaffe special edition along side standard models. Guess I'll contemplate that while grinding my coffee beans in my Krups coffee grinder...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:18:04 PM by gregor »

Abdul Hye

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:52:13 AM »
Interesting photos and back story. It's sad that the only reason the owner of the album wanted to know who took these photographs so it could add value to it when he comes to sell them, follow the links in the article to the original post/article.

Not keen on how it was written up.

The authors writes

It was as if war could somehow be partitioned from everyday life. And love.

The death and devastation seen in Eastern Europe at the beginning of the album, seemingly so distant from the photographer’s own world

Now click on Pictures of the Day, on the same site, and you’ll see images of violent protest in Athens, Libyan rebels, school children in Manhattan leaving school and President Sarkozy looking at some chickens all side by side.

And on an advert, soliciting people to become subscribers, they have the tag line, “our journalists influence the leaders”.

I wonder whose Propagandakompanie this paper is a member of.