Author Topic: Review - My First SLR - Zenza Bronica S2A.  (Read 84527 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Review - My First SLR - Zenza Bronica S2A.
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »

Well... sort of my first anyway. I used to use my father's Pentax SMC system a few years ago, and I dabbled with a Kalimar recently, but in searching for a wide-angle 6x6, I think I've settled on the Buroni (ブロニカ - Bronica).

One of the most stylish 6x6 camera readily available I think. The 1960s' Loewy-esque style I really like, and the 18/8 stainless-steel construction is fabulous. That front name plate makes it well-worthy just to look at. The internet lists various stories, including the later 2A version being preferred over the previous plain-jane 2 - something about an internal re-design. Someone here nicely quoted a serial number of 150037 or greater as a guide in buying the later model. This was my only selection criteria accordingly, that and a wide lens of some sort.

While there are many lenses available, the wide set appears to include:
o Native Nikkor 50mm as a f3.5 and a f2.8
o Komura 50mm at f3.5
o A few 40mm at f4.0 or similar

While the usual combination is a particularly short, and nicely fast, 75mm f2.8, I was lucky enough to come across a great condition S2A with a Komura 50mm as its mate. Other lenses up to 250mm and 400mm are also available. While on lenses the helicoid / lens combination deserves some comment.

Many interchangeable lens systems include the focus mechanism as part of the lens assembly (bellows equipped machines aside), the Bronica includes a separate focusing helicoid mechanism. This allows lens changes, which exclude the usual focusing mechanism. Benefits? Lens manufacture is cheaper (as there is less metal and complexity), and the base helocoid can be configured to allow really close focusing, similar to a massive bellows extension. Additionally, the helicoid can also be removed to allow the installation of macro bellows, and other lens extension devices such as tilt-shift (really sexy these days for those bored with HRD it seems).

The focal-plane cloth shutter switches up to 1/1000, and while the shutter itself is smooth and quiet, the associated mirror slap is not. Being used to shooting leaf-shutters in my Polaroids, and perhaps a blade thingy in my Bessa, I wasn't prepared for the massive noise from my new Buroni. A Canonet it ain't...

The interchangeable backs accept either 120 (12-exposure rolls to those new to the format) or 220 (24-exposure) at the flick of a switch, and the film counter window is large and easy to read. The film advance mechanism can be operated with or without the crank, being a smooth advance, cocking the shutter on the last 1/4 turn.

Loading the film is easy and intuitive, though my usual 6x6 has been with a conventional TLR, rolling from top to bottom with the film curl, the Buroni rolls inside out from bottom to top. A minor difference, but with the tremendous quality of the machined parts, an easy and confidence inspiring process. After loading the carrier, drop it into the back, latch securely, and the body crank takes it to frame one smoothly and fast.

The Buroni also carries a great array of interlocks, and failsafe mechanisms:
o The dark slide is needed before the back can be removed. In fact, the dark slide performs the function of the back removal button - without it the back cannot be removed. So, in buying one, make sure it comes with a dark slide.
o The shutter button has a nice twist-to-safe function.
o The shutter will not fire with dark slide in place.
o The back will not close properly, nor the film type cover close, unless all is properly aligned and mounted when loading film.
o The dark slide cannot be removed unless the film back is properly mounted on the camera. It cannot be removed with the back off the camera.

Though the hood pops up in one smooth action, it does not fold without manually collapsing the side curtains. The focus magnifier though pops into view with a smooth tap of the hood, and collapses just as smoothly - a normally fiddly action with other waist-finders. After one day out shooting, I can see myself liking this well made Japanese machine - is has a high quality, well machined, feel to all its actions, and after nearly 50 years all the covers show no signs of scuffing or lifting - they must have used some mighty effective materials and glue at the time. I might see what sort of 40mm lens is obtainable cheaply to further play with as well.

I notice too, there are two types of carrying-strap lugs; one with wings, which accept a normal, modern-sized camera strap, and I think a newer type stud, without wings (as the latch is part of the strap-end tag), which do not accept a modern-sized camera strap unless you drag it through with needle-nose pliers, cutting up the edge giving it a nice worn-in look...

Using some Kodak Ektar, I shot a few test rolls with the 50mm

Nice wide look to the 50mm, and as expected the after-market lens has a slight blur on the fringes, and vignettes a little wide open. Very pleased with the results!

Whereas I was kinda hoping for some minor color blips, color rendition on the Ektar looks much as any modern lens does.

Depth of field at f3.5 is not as perhaps acute as I was expecting. So, perhaps some test shots with the 75mm f2.8 lens are now also needed.

Additionally, with a nice fat strap, the ergonomics of the S2 for street shooting are very pleasant. I carried it around all day, and though heavy it was comfortable and easy to use. Sean reports the screen on this one is not quite as bright as he would like, and the mirror slap is very loud in quiet streets, but overall a very pleasing machine to use, especially with a Super-Komura 50mm!

Additionally, these are also available:

Or if you're lucky, the rather cool, original style:

To do this, with Fuji FP-100C:

Or, if you're into the replacement for HRD, you can try one of these for the soon-to-be-cliched tilt / shift:

More results to follow... Skj.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:34:01 PM by Skorj »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Review - My First SLR - Zenza Bronica S2A.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:20:50 AM »
Same camera, same lens, same film, different user! Skorj was nice enough to lend me his Bronica for our trip to Ashio. I've used a couple other 120 SLR cameras, notably the Great Wall and the Kowa Six (and Super 66). The Bronica resembles the Kowa more than the Great wall in terms of build quality and lens selection, etc., though all three feature a loud mirror slap. The form factor of the Bronica is pleasing, with a horizontal build as opposed to the vertical, or square, body of the Kowa. While using the Bronica, I thought that it was heavier than the Kowa Super 66, but being back home and holding the Kowa, I think they are similar in weight, with the 40mm Kowa lens making it heavier and much bulkier than the Bronica and 50mm.

So, overall, I was pleased with the way the Bronica "feels", and it is shaped as such that you can carry it comfortably with the shoulder/neck strap. One thing I didn't really like about it is the heavy mirror slap which actually shakes the camera, so it makes longer exposures a bit difficult. It would definitely benefit from a side handle, though this would ruin the comfortable sleek body. I just used my typical "press it against my chest while firing" method that I use with most TLR and SLR cameras to regain stability. The other thing that I found really difficult to work with was the glass finder. The glass is kind of a white fogged, milky deal. So the image is very soft in the finder. If the light was low, it was almost impossible to see what I was framing. In the sun, the low edges of the folding cover didn't do an adequate job of blocking the light. I'm used to using a hand to block direct light on finders, but it just seemed extra painful with the Bronica. I found myself pressing my face against the viewfinder with a hand around the edges, trying to keep out the direct rays. I think this could easily be remedied by just replacing the glass. It wouldn't fix the lower "walls", but it wouldn't take much to improve upon the white glass. I rarely ever have issues when looking through the bright Kowa finder, so maybe I'm just spoiled. Also, not really a negative, but the film loading is ass-backwards...but it only takes a couple times before it is a natural process.

So after using the Zenza, I thought well, yeah, it's pretty cool...but do I really need one? I have my Kowa Super 66 with a range of lenses, including a wide 55 and a super-wide 40 (and I'm still on the lookout for the elusive 35). At the time I said it was nice but not needed. Well, after getting my first roll of color Kodak Ektar developed...I soooo want this camera/lens combo for myself. Like Skorj says, there is a nice blur and vignette around the edges, which I think gives the shots a soft wistfulness. The photos still retain the pinpoint sharp areas, while the blur turns into lovely circular shapes. There is something soft and sharp about the photos at the same time, somewhat dreamlike and floaty while still retaining detail. There is nice mix of modern and vintage results from the camera and lens. And I think the 50mm lens offers a decent amount of wide angle goodness without overkill. You can tell it is wide without the Psycho house effect. I'm also a sucker for frame edges, and I like the little sweeps at the corners of the shots.

So with the overall pleasing form factor and the relative compact build, even with the wide lens (though it is not light), and what I think are wonderful results with the Ektar, I'm sold. I want one for myself.

Here are some color shots. I will post some black and white (including Verichrome from 1973!) whenever I get time to develop the many rolls of film I have on my shelf. I don't use a meter, so these shots generally start around 250/5.6, up or down depending on light, some at 100, some at 3.5, etc.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:15:33 AM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:50:34 AM »
Guys, great review and comments as always. I'd just chip in here and say that I absolutely love my S2A and that for me the great advantage the S2A has over the newer Bronny's (of which I've owned both the ETRS and the SQA) is the ability to mount home-made/modified lenses to the front of the camera and still have a usable shutter.

My S2A is currently my fave camera because I've been getting great results from it with a home made lens mounted on the front. I've posted on the main board here at FW, but will do so again conscious that these reviews are less transient and used more as a reference than posts on the main board.

So here's what my S2A looks like with the modified lens taped to the front:

And here are 3 images that I've taken with the modified setup:

I also have had a lot of fun using the S2A with the standard 80mm lens attached:

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
A couple shots with the Bronica and Komura 50mm, using Kodak Verichrome exp. 06-1972. I still have a couple more rolls of BW film to develop, but I dumped my fixer into the developer bottle so I have to get new chemicals!

Still sold on the camera/lens combo. I was worried about the camera-shaking mirror thunk for longer exposures, but I read in a couple places that the film is already exposed by the time the mirror slaps down. Also found some replacement ideas for the milky finder.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:33:08 PM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:10:37 AM »
A couple more low light shots using Ilford FP4 Plus.
                                                                  - John Waters

chris_n

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:01:13 PM »
wow sean, really enjoying the low light glow.  did you hand hold those??

what should i expect to pay for one of these? i'm convinced i'd like to have one in my collection :)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
Averages between $250 to $400 depending on condition and extras. There are those that try to sell them for more, but you should be able to get one in that range.

And, yes, all hand held!
                                                                  - John Waters

chris_n

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:47 AM »
thumbs up for hand held heavy cameras!! :) 

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:06:44 AM »
Chris, I live in the UK and mine cost £90 about 3 years ago (around $150 US). Probably a bit of a steal. I've had no issues using it at slow speeds either.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:02:31 PM »
Received my pretty. And I was wrong (or my first impressions were correct), the Bronica is about 1.5 times heavier than the Kowa Super 66...at least. And the Super 66 is heavier than the Six. After I've used the Bronica a few times, a comparison will follow on my blog.
                                                                  - John Waters

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
The Six is quite a nice looking camera...comparable to the Bronica.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:00:07 AM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 07:18:31 AM »
Talking note of Sean's comment about screen brightness above, I note the native glass system in the Buroni is perhaps a smidge duller than my usual 6x6 Yashica Mat 124. Neither of which have that 'wow, that's bright' look of some other ground glass / plastic focusing systems I've seen - Anscoflex as an example.

This I suppose is a function of both the Fresnel (light enhancer lens), and focus screen brightness & contrast capabilities. So being an eternal tinkerer, I ordered a replacement screen from Brilliant Ground Glass:

Their customer service is excellent, as you would expect in making something as unique as ground glass screens to order for fifty year old cameras - they need to get it right, and take the time to do so. Custom sizing, glass thickness, frame lines, corners, etc, all available to be specified. Despite being custom made, it shipped fast and was well packed for its journey to Japan. To install, I popped the hood release lever:

Removed four screws, front and rear from glass surround:

The new screen (right) is obviously whiter, and looking at the cutting mat lines better defined and brighter:

Leaving the existing Fresnel in place:

I also left the existing S2A foam replacement kludge in place, though as the new glass is a little thicker, had to shave it down 0.5mm or so. Not a big issue, as the focus point - bottom of glass - remains the same.

On the Buroni, this is an easy, cost effective upgrade, and is a definite improvement over the native screen in both low light, and outside.

If you are still concerned about your Buroni's screen abilities, for a small price you can obtain a 5x finder. It not only shields light, but also provides an in-built focusing magnification capability. It weighs hardly anything over the collapsible hood, and for a day outside, makes a valuable tool.

Skj.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:25:10 AM by Skorj »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 12:24:44 PM »
New focusing screen, and some more Ektar, this time testing aperture control for blur. As expected wide open, she blurs the fringes nicely:

and at f11, she's nicely sharp:

Well... sharper than wide open. I assume the Nikkor performs with less blur, but as discussed above this is a very pleasing attribute, and one to be enjoyed! Along with the Ektar of course.

Confirming a number of observations on the Buroni's massive noise, is the sequence of mirror slap, and shutter opening do not impair hand-held work down to at least 1/8s. At least not too much:

The 45mm f4.5 Super Komura is sure to provide plenty of interesting attributes too:

Skj.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:58:00 AM by Skorj »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
blur when you want and sharpness when you feel for that. seems to work like a treat! :)

the first I particularly like, something about the perspective of the near house makes it look like out of this world~
/jonas

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
I've noticed the same thing with the Komura 50mm...much more blur wide open. Aperture at 11 or above and the image is very sharp with some mild blurring at the corners.
                                                                  - John Waters

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
quite the difference! almost hard to believe that they're from the same body and lens.

btw, has anyone seen any bronica ec-tl cameras around? I would be interested to know of how rare they come and about what price range they demand.

it seems like a dream camera for me ;D any lens you can stick on it, 6x6 format slr and ttl metering - even with waistlevel finder! I'm guessing there might be some others (hasselblad maybe?) but it looks pretty promising to me~
/jonas

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear...Komura 45mm, Komura 50mm and Nikkor 75mm. Pretty sure the Nikkor lenses are much more compact. I think even the Nikkor 40mm is smaller than the Komura 45mm.

A couple self-developed Ektar shots with the Komura 45mm. Oddly enough, it seems to be a "better" lens than the Komura 50mm. Less corner blur and an overall sharper image, and most definitely wider than 50mm. The distortion is more apparent, though still pleasing and not angular overkill. There is a bit of flare but not as much as I would expect with a wide lens...just a small octogonal type shape on some photos, which I actually quite like! Maybe the lens has more corner blur when shot wide open?

Odd that outward appearances are the same, yet the lenses are so different! The 50mm is fairly common, while the 45mm is somewhat rare, though the price is not so outrageous...maybe $100 more than the 50mm, and the same price as a Nikkor 40mm (which will soon be in my hands, as well...full comparison to follow!).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:47:22 AM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
That Komura 45 looks nice!

(which will soon be in my hands, as well...full comparison to follow!).

The Nikkor 40mm gracefully on loan from Moomin:

and a test roll of rather expired Fortia SP (over exposed one stop, but still not enough). Looks quite wide, with no barreling:

All shot wide open, so no vignette, or fringe blurring.

Real test shots to follow from Moomin for sure! See ya. Skj.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:22:29 PM by Skorj »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 04:15:24 PM »
Sister C stops by for a visit and decides to stay! Mostly the same...lacking the exchangeable back and slightly lighter, and a bit less common than the S2.

And the early D model (which is not mine and is way out of my price range at 150,000 円),
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:22:44 PM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:20 AM »
sean, any other differences between the C and the S2? I've been looking up the C as an alternative, if I should get a bronica, because I don't need the exchangeable backs and I think the camera might be more reliable. thinking this partly cause I dunno how many could repair it around where I live. mostly hassies in sweden and all I hear about them is service service service ;P
/jonas

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »
That's the main difference, other than some minor design variances like different sized numbers on the barrel. And a little switch towards the rear that seems to lock the film advance but I guess is for double exposures. S2s are more common so maybe easier to get parts for?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:26:16 PM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »
Has anyone ordered this screen from rick oleson? I wonder if replace will increase brightness even more...

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
Has anyone ordered this screen from rick oleson? I wonder if replace will increase brightness even more...

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html

Not I, but I think I will check them out for the fun of it... Thanks!

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Many users noted an improvement using that focusing screen with the regular glass, so I think it might improve even more with the Brilliant Ground Glass?

I just bought a S2A and was thinking about the options...
tk

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »
My pretty monster...black S2A with prototype Zeiss Biometar 80mm lens and Arca-Swiss Polaroid back!
Pretty sure this is really old Type 689. Some leaks with the Polaroid back, will have to inspect.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:35:15 AM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »
Finally got my own; a C  ;D
/jonas

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:55 PM »
What a nice camera the bronica is, congrats Jonas!  :)

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »
got my S2 as well - loving it!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »
they multiply :D haha

the cogs jump sometimes in mine. it feels like the film insert might not totally latched on. hm.... I wind carefully and push the back to my chest, dunno if it helps.
/jonas

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
One of the shots from the first roll I have shot... really enjoying using this camera

I'll add it to the sales board but I think I will sell the polaroid back I have for the S2 - just need to get some pics of it - drop me a PM if interested...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »
Done. PM sent, Chalky  :)

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »
I recently picked up the Nikkor 50mm lens for my bronica s2. Looks to be in great condition, look forward to trying it.

has anyone ever used it?  It seems to focus down to about 6 inches which is way closer than I was expecting? any one else used this or are the Komura wide angle lenses similar? you can focus really close?

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 07:52:21 PM »
Typically the wider the lens, the closer you can focus...
                                                                  - John Waters

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
yup, it's the same with the minolta lenses I've got. most notably the 28mm and 24mm.
and I've got the 50mm nikkor myself, lovely lens :) dunno if yours is the same as there are two. nikkor-o f2.8 and nikkor-h f3.5, I've got the latter.

but haven't used my bronicca much lately. it's a bummer I don't feel like I can trust the focus on it :/
/jonas

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 10:08:01 PM »
Thanks both. Yes I have the 50mm 3.5 too. 

I'm not a bronica expert, but have read that dodgy focussing can ge caused by the foam beneath the ground glass corroding, so the ground glass is I'm the wrong place. Might be worth a check. Cheers, chalky

Aki

• 35mm
    • A Language All My Own
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
Two things threw off focusing on my S2a, one was foam underneath the ground glass like Chalky says.   The other was foam underneath the mirror.   In both cases infinity focusing seemed to be quite off.   

I first changed the mirror foam, which made it quite a bit better.   Then I noticed focusing being off again one day, so I changed the ground glass foam, and things seem to be back in order.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »
Two things threw off focusing on my S2a, one was foam underneath the ground glass like Chalky says.   The other was foam underneath the mirror.   In both cases infinity focusing seemed to be quite off.   

I first changed the mirror foam, which made it quite a bit better.   Then I noticed focusing being off again one day, so I changed the ground glass foam, and things seem to be back in order.
huh, I hadn't heard about that before :o
/jonas

nachtiris

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
Finally, I got my S2a, hurrah!

I love this cam, the mirrorslap make children weep  ;D

Up to now I shoot 2 rolls of film and I'm quite unsure wether my cam suffers the focusing issue or not.

Cheers,
Christian

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »
The classic way to tell if any camera suffers from a focus problem is to tape a sheet of newspaper on the wall and take a picture of it at a perfect 90° with the aperture fully open (camera on a tripod obviously). Any focus issue will jump you in the face when you look at the negatives.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

nachtiris

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 08:15:31 AM »
Hi Francois,

thx for the hint; ASAP I will test out the sparpness of my Zenza and the 75mm Nikkor.

Best regards,
Christian

nachtiris

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »
Maybe offtopic:

What 'Buroni' stands for? Is this a nickname for the S2a or a nick for any 6x6 SLR?

Cheers,
Christian

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »
The buroni is just the S2A
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
my guess...
ca=camera. bronica! leica=leitz camera. Yashica= Yashima Camera, Konica=Konishiroku Camera.
brownie camera. Brownie=early kodak box camera that took 120 film. 120 film type was often called brownie film. bronica company name was from their camera that took brownie film... Bronica or Bronica camera = Brownie Camera Camera makes no sense! so Broni pronounced Buroni in japanese.:D
tk

nachtiris

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »
my guess...
ca=camera. bronica! leica=leitz camera. Yashica= Yashima Camera, Konica=Konishiroku Camera.
brownie camera. Brownie=early kodak box camera that took 120 film. 120 film type was often called brownie film. bronica company name was from their camera that took brownie film... Bronica or Bronica camera = Brownie Camera Camera makes no sense! so Broni pronounced Buroni in japanese.:D

Thx for your reflection, IMHO it does make sense. Buroni also describes every 120 film type camera made by Bronica, right? It's nice, a kind of translingual nickname  :D

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 05:29:14 PM »
Yes, If I started a company called Semica I'm expected to make 6x4.5 format cameras... I wonder maybe a company if named Vestca fotowerk will make some 127 film cameras! ;D
tk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
From the wikipedia page

Bronica cameras first appeared in 1958, when the company's founder, Zenzaburo Yoshino, introduced a camera of his own design, the Bronica Z rollfilm camera, at the Philadelphia Camera Show. The name "Zenza Bronica" is reputedly derived from Zenzaburo Brownie Camera.
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »
which made perfect sense as his lighters and cigarette holders are also called Bronica.... ???
tk

nachtiris

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
Good morning!

Lets try to condense: Skorj wrote in his first topic of this thread:  "I think I've settled on the Buroni (ブロニカ - Bronica)." He wrote it in cursive.

Accordingly: Buroni is a composite of Zenzaburo and the japanese pronunctiation of Brownie (his first model, the model Z from 1958), and so it is used by Bronica-aficionados to describe and pet name the early 6x6-models (maybe up to the S2a, also all full mechanical models without any electronic parts and developed by Zenzaburo by himself)  ???

Have a nice day,
Christian
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:01:57 PM by nachtiris »