Author Topic: Camera Conundrum  (Read 5115 times)

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
Camera Conundrum
« on: April 07, 2006, 09:29:56 AM »
On Monday me and the family are off to see my parents in Northern Ireland for a few weeks. Given our usual stack of luggage and the fact we now have an extra body (the wee lad is 10 months) I've been told that I should only take 1 camera.  :'(

So here are the choices:

- Holga
- Yashica 124G
- Fuji 6X9 rangefinder (plus spotmeter)

I am the world's worst person at making decisions, so what would you do? Leaving one child at home isn't really an option! ;)

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: Camera Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:44:10 AM »
go for fuji rangefinder, its most versatile (i would imagine)   
holga would be great but if its overcast at all possibly wont get much use.

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »
Orrrr... take the rangefinder- then sneak in the holga. Its not that big so it wont take up much room and its light so it wont make anything weigh more. And if the rangefinder is a 6 x 9 it will use the same film. I agree that the holga should NOT be your only choice though because if the weather is too bad...I had this happen on a visit to the UK once although I did get some great photos, I found it almost impossible to find 3200 speed film there and some were WAY to thin to print. And they were the ones I felt were most impotante. ANyways.... If it was me- 3 cameras would be the very LEAST I would bring and I have 2 kids....I am going to New Orleans for a weekend in 2 weeks and I will probably bring at least 3 and MAYBE my crown graphic with a polaroid back....maybe...
:)

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 02:08:29 PM »
then sneak in the holga.

I have visions of being stopped at airport security with a holga in my trousers.. :D

Thanks for the advice. I shall take the rangefinder and attempt to find a small area to hide the holga.

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:19:22 PM »
DO IT!!! you wont regret it :)
 " so sir, what exactly is that in your trousers? "
"is that a holga or are you just happy to see me"
Ok I will stop now... :D

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 04:06:02 AM »
Yeah, Fuji first, Holga second. Try to find room for it. You won't regret it. Now I happen to have five cameras with me in N'Awlins at the moment but, then again, we drove down -- not much in the mood to go through airport security again any time soon.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 04:49:11 AM »
Keep it warm for me Bill! How is it? Take lotsa photos and we will compare in a few weeks  ;D also 5 is a good number. I am really thinking about bringing my crown graphic....and a wagon to drag it around in. Or mayne I will invest in a new stroller that can carry a LOT of weight. Dave, I am starting to feel your pain. Usually I stay close in, but this time its a half hour walk or 5-10 minute bus ride. I need a sherpa.

HolgaJen

• My Flickr Album
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 10:45:40 PM »
I have gotten some funny looks and questions at airport security when they see my holga all taped up ~ must be suspicious looking!  :D  Gotta remember to bring it empty next time!