Author Topic: Analogue Lightmeter advice  (Read 651 times)

johnha

Analogue Lightmeter advice
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for an analogue lightmeter that takes readily available batteries (I'm not looking for anything vintage/expensive). There seems to be an endless list of Westons, Gossens, Sekonics etc, but I'm finding it difficult to work out which use/require mercury batteries and those that don't and what might be reasonably accurate today. My Lenningrad 8 selenium cell (like all selenium cells metes) seems to be on its way out and I already have a digital meter when I need it.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

John.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
Re: Analogue Lightmeter advice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 02:34:08 PM »
The Gossen Luna Pro SBC (aka Profisix in some markets) uses a standard 9v battery. Note that the earlier Luna Pro and variants (Lunasix, if memory serves), with the CDS cell, are the ones that used mercury batteries.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:02:13 PM »
If you are happy with a Russian, the Sverdlovsk-4 is adaptable to work with various types of battery, and has its own inbuilt calibration system. Spot and incident readings too! I really like mine.

If you get one, I will send you a link to an English manual.

johnha

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:53:04 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I had expected there would be a large selection to choose from, but it looks like the choice is limited to 'modern' meters £100 or so and Gossen SBCs running at £60+ (often plus postage from the US). Given that, I think I'll just use my digital meter.

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
PM mail sent!

I think.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:45:20 PM by Mike (happyforest) »