Author Topic: 60s and 70s shots of London's East End.  (Read 1030 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
60s and 70s shots of London's East End.
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
Saw these in today's Guardian: David Granick’s shots from the 1960s and 70s capture a fading world. Local photographer Chris Dorley-Brown talks us through these evocative images

More on the link to the exhibition, but some of these you expect Regan and Carter to come zooming round the corner in a Ford Granada before telling someone they're nicked.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: 60s and 70s shots of London's East End.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »
Great stuff, I know many of those streets and they haven't changed as much as you might think.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »
Really captures the spirit of the times.
We had the same evict and demolish strategy in Montreal. If there was just one filthy house in an entire block, the block would get leveled to make a boulevard and some high rise buildings.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:19:29 AM »
I wish I knew London (and the East End) better than I do (which is to say, not at all ;D ). I love looking at old pictures of NYC because I know all the places viscerally, but I'm not getting the same feelings with these photos. They are beautiful photos of a time gone by, and I do feel fake nostalgia looking at the old architecture and faded colors and the way people dressed back then, but now I know how people who are not from NYC feel when they look at those old pictures of NYC :D That said, I love that there is a Sikh in a turban in London in 1974. I don't think turbans became commonplace here until the 80's ... maybe earlier in Jackson Heights.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »
I must add that being a former city planner, I tend to look at the urban landscape with a slightly different eye....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:32:33 AM »
Similar to me listening to music ;D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 01:37:50 PM »
Satish, here's a short, archived article about Sikhs in the UK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2004/08/23/faith_sikhism_feature.shtml