Author Topic: The End of the Week, 9-11 Feb 2018  (Read 3298 times)

cs1

• Self-Coat
The End of the Week, 9-11 Feb 2018
« on: February 09, 2018, 04:23:56 AM »
My first time to open a weekend thread. :)

Two photos shot with the Agfa Synchro Box with pinhole modification on Fomapan 100, developed in Fomadon LQN 1+14. (Sorry for the dupe in the Frankenbox thread.)

Alley by C S

Cemetary by C S

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
Re: The End of the Week, 9-11 Feb 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »
Very atmospheric shots CS1 - a great start to the weekend

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »
The Agfa Synchro Frankenbox is a camera that I want if only for the name alone, which is delightful.  I followed that thread and the results are fantastic!  I especially like the pinhole images, which remind me a bit of a series of circular format images Emmet Gowin did years ago. Well done!

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »
Thanks Kevin, thanks Jeff, I'm glad you like the shots.

Regarding the Frankenbox I'll try to recap in the other thread what I spent on that project but I think that it's not much and I'm absolutely sure that any box should work just as well. I just happened to have and like the litte Agfa Synchro Box so it got turned into something even more "beautiful". :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 04:33:06 PM »
Nice pinholes CS1.  I did something similar with a Voigtlander 116 folder.  The nice thing about the folder is that I can change the focal length by adjusting the bellows. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60348236@N07/albums/72157638088892975

The North Portland industrial area shot with a Leica IIIa with a Leitz Summar f/2 lens, Tri-X developed in Beer.

North Portland Industrial by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 04:37:53 PM »
Bryan, great industrial shot. And thanks for sharing the link with the cool pinhole photos. Making a pinhole camera from a bellows camera is an excellent way to put new life into a camera which could otherwise be dead (shutter, lens etc.). The variations in focal lengths is a definite pro argument for folding pinholes.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »
Here's a glimpse of what's masquerading as winter in Southern California this year. I shot the lawn bowling image about the same time as last week's photo from jharr, but it took longer than expected to complete the roll.

Rolleiflex, Tessar, Portra 400 @ ISO 250

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
The low winter sun can result in some interesting reflections.

Olympus Mju Zoom / Ilford HP5+ in Xtol
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
Love the round frame of CS1's pinhole this week.

Also got a little pinhole, 2 day solargraph, film canister camera, ilford photo paper.

Solargraph2 by Manuel Lion

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 05:58:21 PM »
I exposed my first roll of Film Ferrania P30 this week, but will need more practice before I can tell if it's a film I'd like to use regularly.  My first roll was too contrasty in normal light, and the negatives were too thin in even light (like this image).  I'll adjust my exposure and developing and maybe get a negative that can be used.  I'll wet print one eventually.  The grain looks really good up close.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 09:09:32 PM »
I did some still life photos and this is the only one in which I haven't completely messed-up the development by using a safelight that turned out to be not safe.  :(
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
Made a very brief foray into NYC last week, covering ~10 miles in about 4.5 hours of walking, and burning four rolls of film in the process. Still working my way through them, but here's one to start with.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 10:05:50 PM »
These were made with a hand-held Century Graphic 23, fitted with a 105mm Tominon lens, on Tri-X, and semi-stand developed in RO9.  They were shot in a quarry in Portunos, Portugal which has provided soft limestone, known as Pedra de Ançã, that has been a favorite medium for sculptors during the last two thousand years (at least) in Portugal.  The current owner cuts very little stone and seems to be more interested in developing the area into a park.  The recently-planted stand of trees—Pinheiros Mansos—will, some year soon, produce pine nuts for Christmas cakes and other treats.

Pedraria, Portunhos, Portugal by William Blackstone, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 06:59:14 AM »
Very nice shots everyone, I like all of them.

I had the opportunity to go and shoot my Zeiss Ikon Tenax this week. It's really lovely because it's a 24x24mm camera and you get about 50 exposures on a 36 exp. 135 film. Unfortunately, the transport mechanism likes to eat film sometimes and I had to remove the film in the dark. I was able to recover most shots, though. Here's a small selection.

Shot on Fomapan 100, developed in Fomadon LQN 1+14.

Bench in the Snow by C S

Box by C S

Gated Wall by C S

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 12:53:18 PM »
I had the opportunity to go and shoot my Zeiss Ikon Tenax this week. It's really lovely because it's a 24x24mm camera and you get about 50 exposures on a 36 exp. 135 film. Unfortunately, the transport mechanism likes to eat film sometimes and I had to remove the film in the dark.

My Tenax does the same thing. I haven't figured out what's causing it yet, but it feels like too much tension on the supply spool. I'll update when I have a chance to investigate.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »
It's indeed rather strange. My theory is that old film used to be more sturdy. This mostly happens with fragile film like the Fomapan 100. I don't remember having this issue with film like the Ilford HP5+. But that's just wild guessing.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 03:13:48 PM »
Love those limestone walls Blaxton, especially that 2nd shot. They look pretty sharp for a handheld large format camera.  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
It's indeed rather strange. My theory is that old film used to be more sturdy. This mostly happens with fragile film like the Fomapan 100. I don't remember having this issue with film like the Ilford HP5+. But that's just wild guessing.
Film used to be thicker than it is now. But I wonder if it would be capable of eating through polyester backed Film?
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
Nice shot of the beautiful bowling rink Earl. I thought your color shots looked a little lonely, so here's one to keep them company. This is redscaled expired Fujicolor100 shot at iso 12 in the Vitomatic II I got in the Share the Love thread. I'm really enjoying that camera.

vitomatic-fuji100RED-004 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 01:07:18 PM »
Taken on Saturday night during a (very) rainy ( and drunken) night in NY. CineStill 800T, pushed to 1600 but improperly developed since I forgot to agitate every 30 seconds and did it every minute like with B&W. Long live the bromide drag.

Drunk AF
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 02:47:41 PM »
Taken on Saturday night during a (very) rainy ( and drunken) night in NY. CineStill 800T, pushed to 1600 but improperly developed since I forgot to agitate every 30 seconds and did it every minute like with B&W. Long live the bromide drag.

I took a shot from almost the same exact location on the prior stone sober Tuesday morning. Mine is less interesting.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »

I took a shot from almost the same exact location on the prior stone sober Tuesday morning. Mine is less interesting.

We should coordinate a day/night photo walk next time I go to the city. I usually go there for work every other week and stay in Astoria for the weekend.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »

Your drink and develop technique is working.  Great result!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »

We should coordinate a day/night photo walk next time I go to the city. I usually go there for work every other week and stay in Astoria for the weekend.

I'm up for it, but my schedule is not being cooperative lately; I've been trying to work out a day and time that works to meet up with Satish, and it just hasn't been happening. Running in last Tuesday had me up at 0500 to get in early enough to have a few hours to shoot and still catch a train back north in time to coordinate with Leonore getting out of work and picking me up at the station. Weekends have been problematic for a host of reasons. Nonetheless, when I (or we, if Leonore's schedule plays along) can find time to get down there we can catch up.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 08:55:44 PM »

But strangely, it has that BladeRunner vibe to it :)
Francois

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 11:19:33 PM »

Interesting. I haven't seen Blade Runner, but I'm into dystopian/futuristic themes. That could be a good idea for a photo essay.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »

Interesting. I haven't seen Blade Runner, but I'm into dystopian/futuristic themes. That could be a good idea for a photo essay.

YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BLADE RUNNER?! Oh my, but you do have some catching up to do.....

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 03:40:40 AM »
I haven't seen Blade Runner

You remember those times when we were friends and I actually talked to you? Yeah, those were good times ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:10:51 AM by Indofunk »

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »
I haven't seen Blade Runner

You remember those times that we were friends and I actually talked to you? Yeah, those were good times ;D

Hello, Trump?  ;D ;D ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »
Not seen BladeRunner??? Not even the original from the 80's?
You really are missing out on a very beautiful movie. Just the framing and the texture of every scene makes it a masterpiece. And there are no effects done with composition boxes. Everything was done in camera. They would use motion control rigs to film one part, rewind the film and setup a different exposure and run everything through once more. It was a really fantastic feat of technical wizardry.
Francois

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:46 PM »
A few weeks ago I received The Movie Art of Syd Mead: Visual Futurist which I highly recommend.  Pairing Ridley Scott with this genius for BladeRunner was a very good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_A5AFt9hg