Author Topic: First February Weekend thread  (Read 2486 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
First February Weekend thread
« on: February 02, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
Satish portraits

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Re: First February Weekend thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 12:55:41 PM »
I love the effect on those negatives. Looks like Satish has a ghostly moustache.

I took this picture while drunk at the house, and while I don't like it, some hipster-ish dude on Instagram tried to make me sell the rights to it for $5 for his Soundcloud album of "alternative trap music". I told him to f*ck off. Shot on Fuji Provia 100F,

Thieves like us
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

Big trouble in little china
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr
NYC, New Year's Day. Fuji C200.

Happy weekend!
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »
During my recent stint among the great unemployed, a friend has introduced me to lawn bowling. It's pretty fun and being called "young man" by the other players doesn't hurt the ego either!

Yashica 44LM
Konica 160 @100
DIY C-41

Keep your bocce off my lawn! by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
I've been spending some time getting reacquainted with my long dormant Zeiss Ikon.  It's such a fun camera, and having a light meter and aperture priority again feels like such a luxury!

Happy weekend everyone.

Zeiss Ikon/ZM Sonnar 50mm/Provia100

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
I really like the Satish portraits—nice stretched-out look to them.

These two are from the last batch to get processed of the rolls of film exposed during several recent trips to the Choupal National Forest in Coimbra, Portugal.  I especially liked walking along the canal there.  I have shown other shots of the same, made with 35mm in black and white and color, but these were made with a Century Graphic 23 outfitted with a 150mm G-Claron lens on Tri-X and processed in RO9 1:100, semi-stand.  Apropos to another thread, these were scanned with my brand-new Epson V550.  (Why did I wait so long to get one?)

Mata Nacional do Choupal, Coimbra, Portugal by William Blackstone, on Flickr

Mata Nacional do Choupal, Coimbra, Portugal by William Blackstone, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »
Miguel, considering you're state of intoxication the flowers aren't that bad, I like the color.  If you don't like it you should have let the hipster use it. 

I recently bought a bulk roll of Tri-X and have been trying to make it work with my Beerenol recipe.  I've tried increasing the development time, semi-stand development, different exposure settings, but nothing seems to work.  It always comes out under developed.  I need to make adjustments to the recipe, just need to figure out how, maybe more Vitamin C.  This was shot with an Olympus OM-2n using a Sigma 39-80mm macro zoom lens.  I extended the development time from 20 minutes to 30 minutes with continuous agitation.  The negative is usable but still under developed. 

Tracktor Dash by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »
I recently bought a bulk roll of Tri-X and have been trying to make it work with my Beerenol recipe.  I've tried increasing the development time, semi-stand development, different exposure settings, but nothing seems to work.  It always comes out under developed.  I need to make adjustments to the recipe, just need to figure out how, maybe more Vitamin C.  This was shot with an Olympus OM-2n using a Sigma 39-80mm macro zoom lens.  I extended the development time from 20 minutes to 30 minutes with continuous agitation.  The negative is usable but still under developed.

Have you considered overexposing? Try shooting at half box speed and see what that gets you. That's my normal procedure for B&W films developed in Caffenol.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 04:49:33 PM »
Two shots from a 5 hour hike in the highlands.

Contax 645 / Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.0 / Fuji Pro 160NS
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »

Have you considered overexposing? Try shooting at half box speed and see what that gets you. That's my normal procedure for B&W films developed in Caffenol.

I did a test from EI 25 to EI 800, all where under developed.  I was amazed at the latitude though.  I do get some variation in development with different films in Beerenol but Tri-X is by far the most problematic.  Ferrania P30 was giving me problems but I got good results exposing at EI 25 per Reinhold's recommendation. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »

I did a test from EI 25 to EI 800, all where under developed.  I was amazed at the latitude though.  I do get some variation in development with different films in Beerenol but Tri-X is by far the most problematic.  Ferrania P30 was giving me problems but I got good results exposing at EI 25 per Reinhold's recommendation.

Huh. Maybe something is acting as a restrainer and slowing down the development more than you would like? Have you seen the same issue with other 400-speed B&W? Are there any films that don't exhibit this behavior? What exactly is the formula you're using?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 05:55:57 PM »
It must be grainy tractor week.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »
You're getting lovely colors, Kai.  And two big thumbs up for the tractor tag team.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »
Huh. Maybe something is acting as a restrainer and slowing down the development more than you would like? Have you seen the same issue with other 400-speed B&W? Are there any films that don't exhibit this behavior? What exactly is the formula you're using?

I have had great results with HP5+ so I don't think it's the film speed.  I do use salt as a restrainer, so I was thinking of eliminating that.  Adding salt was what finally got me to a good recipe, that's why I have been apprehensive about eliminating it.  It's supposed to rain all weekend so this may be a good opportunity to do some more tests with recipe modifications.  That's the nice thing about bulk loading, I can do short loads for tests.  It would help if I knew what I was doing. 

This is the current recipe:

Beer (cheap Lager, I used Pabst Blue Ribbon) - 12oz
Sodium Carbonate (Arm & Hammer Washing Soda) - 2.75 Tsp
Ascorbic Acid Powder (Vitamin C) - 1.25 Tsp
Salt (Morton's Iodized Table Salt) - 1/4 Tsp

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
Nice tractor Peter!

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »
It's another dry winter here in Southern California, so there's lots of construction underway currently.

Rolleiflex MX-EVS, 75/3.5 Tessar, and Acros 100 @ ISO 60 (I need to try Kai-san's ISO 200 with push technique with the next roll)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 07:54:06 PM »
Nice start! Satish must be the most photographed Filmwaster (probably more photographed than all the rest together)  :)
Also love Peter's tractor and KaiSan's winter landscapes.

I have a solargraph recorded between 8 November and 30 January, showing the depressingly few days of sun we had over here this winter.

Solargraph by Manuel Lion

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 08:19:39 PM »
Nice shots everyone. Especially Miguel's NYC shot, Kai's snow photos, and Peter's tractor caught my eye. Great solargraph, ManuelL. Which reminds me that I still have a tin can with a hole and a sheet of film that you sent me. ;)

Since it definitely seems to be tractor day today, I dug up a shot from last year. Shot with Lipca Rollop on Rollei 400S.

Tractor by C S

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »
During my recent stint among the great unemployed, a friend has introduced me to lawn bowling. It's pretty fun and being called "young man" by the other players doesn't hurt the ego either!
I never understood why the game isn't more popular. It definitely is a lot of fun to roll those lopsided balls :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »

I have had great results with HP5+ so I don't think it's the film speed.  I do use salt as a restrainer, so I was thinking of eliminating that.  Adding salt was what finally got me to a good recipe, that's why I have been apprehensive about eliminating it.  It's supposed to rain all weekend so this may be a good opportunity to do some more tests with recipe modifications.  That's the nice thing about bulk loading, I can do short loads for tests.  It would help if I knew what I was doing. 

This is the current recipe:

Beer (cheap Lager, I used Pabst Blue Ribbon) - 12oz
Sodium Carbonate (Arm & Hammer Washing Soda) - 2.75 Tsp
Ascorbic Acid Powder (Vitamin C) - 1.25 Tsp
Salt (Morton's Iodized Table Salt) - 1/4 Tsp

FWIW, I had no end of trouble trying to get good Caffenol results when I was using salt as the restrainer. Once I switched to KBr things got much, much easier. It's a bit of a pain, but in my experience, so worth it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 11:00:14 PM »
So I'd decided as February is apparently Brownie month I wanted to use one or both of my 127 Brownies (Brownie 127 and Brownie Reflex), so while I was pootling around to find 127 film not only did I order three rolls of Rerapan (which ended up costing me half as much again, thanks HMRC) but I found this expired film on the 'bay.
Europan is this French black and white film which expired in December 1969. Friday I shot a roll in my Brownie 127, the model which went out of production in 1959.

So I went to Crystal Palace and shot the Dinosaurs.

Prewashed as a precaution, developed for an hour in Rodinal, negs covered in bits of blue crap from the blue backing, squeegeed between my fingers and rinsed again. Underexposed due to weather, I guess.

Dinos by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

long necks by Antony Shepherd, on Flickr

I'll be interested to see what I get if I shoot a roll on a bright sunny day, and give it a couple of pre-washes and more of a rinse to try and clear off the crap. But for the subject matter I think this kind of worked. May even buy some more.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 02:20:31 AM »
Glad to see I'm still solidly holding the "most photographed Filmwaster" title ;D I also like how the white chemtrails make it look like I have an old school muttonchop beard ;D

For my contribution, I'd like to submit an image I took a couple of weeks ago at my second-ever hot pot party (a week after my first ;) ). I was shooting on some expired Fuji Eterna 500 cine film that I got from James. Since I can never do things the way I'm "supposed to", I shot it at 1600 and developed it in C41 for 5 minutes, as if I were processing in-date Kodak Gold 400 at 1600. The results were, of course, far from ideal ;D A lot of grain, and a heavy purple cast, which I partially corrected in Lightroom while still trying to retain some of the color shift. I'm assuming that the white "sprinkles" are remjet that didn't get removed in the development process (I find that 100F C41 will remove most of the remjet in the course of normal development, and then at the rinsing stage you just violently shake it many times in hot water and the remainder comes off. mostly ;) )

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:23:22 AM by Indofunk »

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 02:28:16 PM »
My contribution this week is from a street shooting with a model last Friday. Camera was a Kowa Six and Ilford FP4+ developed in Rodinal (R09)

Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
Was hoping to have something new for this weekend, but the roll has yet to be finished. Looked for a tractor photo, but couldn't find one. So we're left with something from a couple months ago that has nothing to do with anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 07:16:33 PM »
02Pilot:

Not to contradict but, for me—I’m not proud of this—coffee has everything to do with everything.

I also like the photo.

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
Also, that photo was developed in coffee, so 02Pilot has contradicted himself ;D

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »
nice look AJ

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 12:05:02 AM »
You two are thinking too much. No good will come of it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 09:23:38 AM »
You two are thinking too much. No good will come of it.

Guilty as charged.  Too much caffeine has this effect.

Generated from my Apple iPad using tools.rackonly.com
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:27:48 AM by Blaxton »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
Two shots from a 5 hour hike in the highlands.

The second shot is lovely. The light, the colours, the separation amongst the different shades of snowy white and particularly the composition. Gorgeous.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 08:59:47 PM »
Thank you Ed and all the others for your praise, I'm glad you liked my shots!  :)
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/