Author Topic: FujiFilm takes over Xerox  (Read 1066 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
FujiFilm takes over Xerox
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:46:44 PM »
I don't know if any of you have seen this?
And I don't know how it will affect us either. But FujiFilm has become Fuji Xerox...
https://petapixel.com/2018/01/31/fujifilm-takes-xerox-6-1b-deal/
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Re: FujiFilm takes over Xerox
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »
Maybe aimed towards industrial imaging sales? Kyocera has been pretty consistent in the photocopier market so maybe they are pushing back.
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:13:54 PM »
one thing pops up in my head: InstaXerox - scanner camera with results right away! :D
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »
I just hope they don't decide to scrap the photocopiers too. They are one of the most underestimated artistic tools around and they can give you a lot of mileage for 10¢
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:15:54 AM »
Did not read article, but they have been working with Xerox for ages. They have distributed and supported each others markets for decades. Been in various joint ventures as well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:22:38 AM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 02:45:24 PM »
Yeah, but it's one thing to do joint ventures and another thing to merge management...
I just hope the end user won't suffer from odd and barely justifiable decisions on their part.
Francois

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 08:29:07 PM »
I don't know if any of you have seen this?
And I don't know how it will affect us either. But FujiFilm has become Fuji Xerox...
https://petapixel.com/2018/01/31/fujifilm-takes-xerox-6-1b-deal/

I am happy to out myself as a Xeroid .... I know a bit about the history, been working there for 31 years.
This is not connected with Fujifilm's photographic business, as pointed out earlier this is about the core business of Xerox and Fuji Xerox, document production technology and services. Check out http://www.thenewfujixerox.com/ for more background. All subject to shareholder approval etc.

NB. I really fancy that medium format Fujifilm DSLR (tat tat!). Staff discount? - think not....
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:30:50 PM by Klaus »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »
I for one have always rooted for Xerox. And when I think that the technology behind the toner based copiers almost fell in the hands of Kodak but in the end they refused it since they felt it wasn't something that their silver based technology could benefit from. So the inventor went to the Halloid corporation who jumped to the opportunity and changed its name to Xerox. And the rest is history.

You just gotta love a company who's name or product has managed to become so emblematic that every other manufacturer's copies still get the name of the original. Just like Kleenex, Windex, Kodak and so on...
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 11:42:41 AM »
....and let's not forget that it was the computing interface and display system developed at Xerox PARC that a certain Mr Jobs was inspired by and used to great effect in his own computing products.