Author Topic: Adox using old Ilford factory to make film  (Read 1556 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Adox using old Ilford factory to make film
« on: January 11, 2018, 11:57:51 PM »
I had to use Google to translate this article but it sounds like Adox is using an old Ilford factory in Switzerland to start making film this year. 

http://www.lagruyere.ch/2018/01/l%E2%80%99homme-qui-redonne-vie-%C3%A0-la-machine-e-d%E2%80%99ilford.html

By this summer, Adox is aiming to cast its own black and white films on Machine E
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:01:34 AM by Bryan »

MrclSchprs

Re: Adox using old Ilford factory to make film
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:15:41 AM »
Yes ... something to look forward to!

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »
Where are they making the film they are selling now?

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:04:12 PM »
They have factories in Bad Saaow near Berlin and one in Marly (Switzerland, Ex-Ilford). In 2017 they've started to expand the production facilities in Bad Saaow by putting up a new building. After Agfa in Leverkusen (Germany) filed for bankruptcy Adox bought their machines for producing part of their own products. I believe that they basically got machines from all over the place (Agfa, Forte, Konica, and others, according to their website). I like the idea that they refurbished them and put them to good use. I like their Silvermax film. Haven't tried their other films yet.

Sources for this information:

http://www.adox.de/Photo/welcome-to-the-world-of-analogue-photography/adox-the-brand/small-factory/
http://www.adox.de/Photo/new-factory-building-in-bad-saarow-near-berlin/

If I remember correctly, they've been using Ilford's factory in Marly since 2015.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:07:56 PM by cs1 »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »
I know reusing those old factories just feels good. So many companies are fast at bulldozing buildings without even considering if there is a place for their machinery in the world.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »
yes the've been putting out tidbits before about acquiring production machines from other companies. Anyhow, they're doing great! a bit of an underdog clinging tightly to the business :)

anyone tried any of their films? I've only used their cms 20 so far, a fun film!

lunch time mini golf by jonas lundström, on Flickr
/jonas

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 06:57:21 PM »
I've used Silvermax and CHS 100II quite a lot; they are nice, reliable films.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »
Silvermax 100 is really good when you use Adox's Silvermax developer. But it's actually quite nice in Rodinal as well. A little more contrasty I suppose. Adox say that Silvermax has a lattitude of up to 14 stops.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »
Reliability is a nice change nowadays  ::)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 11:27:11 PM »
Just how 'old' is that Ilford factory? I didn't think Ilford have made film outside of Mobberly (sp?) for a long, long time. I seem to remember that the non-film part of Ilford had some sort of presence in Switzerland; they're the lot that made printer paper etc. I might be getting all of my facts mixed up, but might this be the connection?

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »
I've used CHS 100 & got really nice blacks from it, d&p in a pro lab.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 12:41:35 AM »
Just how 'old' is that Ilford factory? I didn't think Ilford have made film outside of Mobberly (sp?) for a long, long time. I seem to remember that the non-film part of Ilford had some sort of presence in Switzerland; they're the lot that made printer paper etc. I might be getting all of my facts mixed up, but might this be the connection?

The article does say that they made ink jet paper. 
The first sample of single-layer inkjet paper, the one that received the Tipa Award, was poured on Machine E. It's a very good machine. Swiss quality.

It also talks about Machine E making photographic paper and being an experimental machine dating back to 1969.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
Cheers Bryan...it turns out that all I had to do was read the article  ;) Will try harder next time.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 08:46:35 AM »
CHS 100 II was the legit successor of Efke 100 with a very similar sensitation, finer grain and a state of the art production quality on a non curling, non-lightpiping PET base. It could have been a success, I only could shoot one roll I got from a friend. I hated the Efkes for their unreliablility but I would love the CHS 100 II. Much too fast the coating partner quit the collaboration and now Mr. Boeddecker (you may call him Mr. Adox) is trying hard to transfer the production to the former Ilford plant in the Switzerland. There once the Cibachrome paper was made. Since the financial ressources are very modest and the expected profit regarding the market is next to nothing, things go very, very, very slow.

Unfortunately, Adox has no own coating facility that actually can make film so far except a very small test coater. Still everything depends on contractors. Adox can finish small amounts of 35mm and 120 film. You can equal Adox with enthusiasm for film, a dream of a man who makes his living with other things than making film. A working plant in Switzerland would be a huge step forward - fingers crossed, and don't be unpatient.

These are the infos I collected within the last few years. I may be wrong here or there.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »
They have factories in Bad Saaow near Berlin and one in Marly (Switzerland, Ex-Ilford).

Interestingly, the Marly plant was built to support Cibachrome (later Ilfochrome) print paper manufacturing.

http://ilford.com/about-us/history-heritage

Ciba AG, Switzerland, acquire shares in ILFORD beginning a commercial co-operation between Ciba and ILFORD to develop Ciba's dye-bleach print material (for making prints directly from colour transparencies). Originally called Cilchrome ('Cil' derived from the names Ciba, ILFORD and Lumière) the eventual product name was Cibachrome.

Ciba built a new plant in Marly, just outside Fribourg (home of Tellko AG) to coat Cibachrome (renamed ILFOCHROME in 1992). The old Tellko factory in the centre of Fribourg was used as the finishing department.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
These are the infos I collected within the last few years. I may be wrong here or there.

Thanks for the insights; very interesting.