Author Topic: Kodak stock spikes on blockchain initiative  (Read 2029 times)

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
Kodak stock spikes on blockchain initiative
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »
Interesting financial news today, surrounding the Great Yellow Father. Kodak's apparently about to launch a blockchain initiative and cryptocurrency, as a means of helping photographers track usage of their work and get paid for it. The company's stock price doubled today, with the announcement. I don't have much of an understanding of blockchain or bitcoin technologies, but if it ultimately helps keep the company solvent (or solvent-ish) and makes it possible for photographers to make a living, it can't be a bad thing.

Long term, I can see Nikon and Canon, amongst others, perhaps embedding blockchain links in digital image files as a means of securing the copyright.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kodak-launches-new-blockchain-project-for-photographers-2018-1

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: Kodak stock spikes on blockchain initiative
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:00:09 PM »
Blockchain is the technology behind Bitcoin. The advantage of blockchain is that every time you do a transaction, a copy of all transactions ever done will be downloaded to your computer. This will make it impossible to cheat the system. But eventually it will create a capacity problem. I have not updated my knowledge of the blockchain technology for some years, they might have made a fix for it.
I can see that this is an opportunity for Kodak to do business, hence the stock market hike. For us as users the pricing of this service will be interesting to see. If you don't sell any pictures it could be a costly insurance.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:03:28 PM »
But I do get why people would get excited about this as it's a big step towards photographers guaranteeing their revenue. And even if Kodak gets only pennies per image for securing it, over the long run it could mean millions in their pocket.

As to exactly how they're going to do it, I have absolutely no idea. My best guess is that the images would be encrypted and the only way to decrypt them would be to pay the photographer through the Kodak coin... Kodak manages the encryption and secures the whole shabang.

As for the blockchain, on Bitcoin very few people download the entire thing. Most miners do business with a pool that gives them just the part of the blockchain they need to work on and charges a small fee for handling the huge blockchain.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »
Also, they'll make an important announcement regarding Ektachrome in the next 15 minutes or so.
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:54:40 PM »

IT IS BACK (AT LEAST IN SUPER 8 )

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »
The biggest users of bitcoin was originally organized crime and people trying the cheat the system by doing untraceable transactions.  Then people saw the value skyrocketing and started jumping in for the investment value.  Now that governments are trying to regulate it I don't see why it would continue to be of any value to it's intended users.  That's probably why we're seeing all these other similar currencies popping up, they're just trying to stay ahead of the regulators.  Wait for a crash.  It's scary how some financial institutions are starting to take it seriously. 

I don't understand exactly what Kodak is trying to do but if it is a way to secure copyright protection of images they may have a good idea that could also be translated to other things.  I assume they are using the technology in a different way than just a currency but rather a way to securely track the use of copyrighted material. 

I just need some Super 8 Ektachrome.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:19:11 PM »
It's just a matter of time before Bitcoin simply crashes and burns... Lot of people are going to get hurt in the process but I don't think the everyday man will see much of a difference as it's high value now is based solely on speculation. Strangely, when it crashes, the ones who will be affected most are the Chinese. They have massive server rooms filled with application specific computers that will most likely become obsolete overnight when it goes. And I'm not entirely sure how much flexibility their chips have in order to transfer seamlessly to another currency...

What I'm most worried about now is the DOW. It can't keep on going up like that without eventually getting a massive correction. That one's going to hurt a lot of people and companies.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 11:29:13 PM »
It's just a matter of time before Bitcoin simply crashes and burns... Lot of people are going to get hurt in the process but I don't think the everyday man will see much of a difference as it's high value now is based solely on speculation. Strangely, when it crashes, the ones who will be affected most are the Chinese. They have massive server rooms filled with application specific computers that will most likely become obsolete overnight when it goes. And I'm not entirely sure how much flexibility their chips have in order to transfer seamlessly to another currency...

What I'm most worried about now is the DOW. It can't keep on going up like that without eventually getting a massive correction. That one's going to hurt a lot of people and companies.

I think there's going to be a lot of interesting financial news this year.

Miguel, don't keep me in suspense, what's going on with Ektachrome?!?!?!

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
But I do get why people would get excited about this as it's a big step towards photographers guaranteeing their revenue. And even if Kodak gets only pennies per image for securing it, over the long run it could mean millions in their pocket.

As to exactly how they're going to do it, I have absolutely no idea. My best guess is that the images would be encrypted and the only way to decrypt them would be to pay the photographer through the Kodak coin... Kodak manages the encryption and secures the whole shabang.

As for the blockchain, on Bitcoin very few people download the entire thing. Most miners do business with a pool that gives them just the part of the blockchain they need to work on and charges a small fee for handling the huge blockchain.

Just remember that if you sell a picture you will get paid in KodakCoin. Sooner rather than later this currency will become a subject of speculation, and what you will get when you try to cash in these in hard currency is anybody's guess.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 11:36:06 AM »
April 1st come early this year?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 01:50:44 PM »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 02:32:33 PM »

Just remember that if you sell a picture you will get paid in KodakCoin. Sooner rather than later this currency will become a subject of speculation, and what you will get when you try to cash in these in hard currency is anybody's guess.
Not unless they control the free trading of the currency.
The problem with Bitcoin is that anybody can decide to buy it without any way of backing it. If Kodak decides to force anyone who wants to use it to open an account with them first, there shouldn't be any problem.
Francois

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »
I think this is DRM, which is a flawed concept. The problem, ultimately, is once that image is on a computer, you can do whatever you like with it.

Locks only keep out honest men!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:22:04 AM by chris667 »

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
"New" Film Scanner from Kodak.

It is supposed to work with 35mm negatives, slides, and other formats including 8mm/Super 8. No medium format.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »
I saw the announcement of the scanner ("Scanza") yesterday. It bears considerable external resemblance to some pretty crappy stuff already on the market, but they're saying it's 14Mp, with 22Mp achievable by some sort of voodoo. It's not terribly expensive (sub $200) and if it's fast and produces decent scans it might be a useful addition. At least the film holders look like they'll do a reasonable job keeping things flat.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »
I just wish they had made it for 120...

I do agree that it looks like the crappy instant scanner I use all the time. But knowing Kodak, the probably have made sure the colors that come out of it are good no matter what.
And if they have digital ice on it, I'm going to be very interested.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
It looks like a re-branded Wolverine. 

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »
I've also heard from someone at Kodak that with the reintroduction of Ektachrome, they'll be adding the "peripherals", most notably slide-mounting kits like they had at some point, branded with Kodak Ektachrome in them.

A marketing gimmick, but I would actually like to have slides mounted in those holders  ;D

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »

That's what I thought, though I can't find a specific model that matches it exactly. I hope for Kodak's sake that it's not crappy. What's the point of selling world-class film then offering a sub-par scanner?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 03:53:50 PM »

I can't wait to try this in 35mm!

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
The Kodak initiative may be in the process of jumping the shark: "Kodak has also created the Kodak KashMiner, a bitcoin mining machine that you rent for $3,400 and share the profits on."

https://petapixel.com/2018/01/11/kodak-kashminer-bitcoin-miner-rent-3400/.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:49:35 PM by EarlJam »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »

I can't wait to try this in 35mm!

Not to mention 120. My supply of Ektachrome 64T is running low.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »

That's what I thought, though I can't find a specific model that matches it exactly. I hope for Kodak's sake that it's not crappy. What's the point of selling world-class film then offering a sub-par scanner?
Same thing here.
But if their product lines are anything to go by, I expect it to give slightly saturated colors and pretty darn good quality for the price.
For me, anything that will replace the slowness of my Epson will be welcome.
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 10:08:38 PM »

Same thing here.
But if their product lines are anything to go by, I expect it to give slightly saturated colors and pretty darn good quality for the price.
For me, anything that will replace the slowness of my Epson will be welcome.

You haven't seen slow until you've waited for a PrimeFilmXA to multiscan a frame at 2400dpi. Compared to it my Canon flatbed is a speed demon. If the Kodak gives good resolution without the problems of flatbeds or single-pass dedicated units, especially with color, I'm in. I hope they've got samples out for review already.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-