Author Topic: Brownie Camera Day in February  (Read 3048 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Brownie Camera Day in February
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:07:49 PM »
We have a day for everything, but some days are a month long and involve wasting film, so not a bad thing!!!   8)

http://www.brownie-camera.com/brownie-camera-day/

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: Brownie Camera Day in February
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:29:19 PM »
Cool. I didn't think I had a Brownie, but I just found a very dusty Brownie Cresta in my office. I'm all set!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »
I have several brownies but I should use this as an opportunity to shoot with one I have not used yet.  That would be one of these two:

Kodak Brownie Target Six-20 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Kodak Six-16 Brownie Special by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »
"Your camera MUST have started life as a Brownie Camera."

That opens up some possibilities...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:01:21 PM by PeterR »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:54:23 PM »
"that must have started life as a Brownie"....
the camera I bought, I had every intention of hacking it into a pinhole, but then when I got it, it was so nice that I couldn't bear the idea of chopping it, so it remains intact.
onward!   8)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »
I do have that un-used but heavily modified Hawkeye Flash...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:36:56 AM »
Don't have a Brownie, too many use 620 film and I really don't want to learn re-spooling or getting the toenail clippers out to see if I can shoehorn a trimmed 120 roll into the feed chamber. Have always been kind of ticked off at Kodak for that 620 roll stunt. A lot of fine Tourist 6X9 cameras virtually useless unless heavily modified.

And yet, I'll slit 35mm into two 9.2 mm strips to feed my Minox IIIs. Go figure. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 02:41:08 PM »
Depending on the model, some of them like the Hawkeye have enough space inside for a 120 spool if you take cutters and remove a small metal tab designed to prevent 120 spools from turning. You still have to wind on a 620 spool but at least you can use unmodified rolls.
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
Depending on the model, some of them like the Hawkeye have enough space inside for a 120 spool if you take cutters and remove a small metal tab designed to prevent 120 spools from turning. You still have to wind on a 620 spool but at least you can use unmodified rolls.
Another idea is if the camera has a ‘B’ setting one could cut photo paper to size for a paper negative. There is no rule you have to use film.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »
I've been looking for a 'reason' to start the year off with a new camera. Think I'll get the Brownie Reflex or a 44A, depending on what FleaBay is offering for under £10. As has previously mentioned, I also like the idea of converting it to take paper negs.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
The fun part with Brownies is that since they are so simple and cheap, you can modify the heck out of them.
On my Hawkeye, I re-synchronized the flash for electronic flash, added a cable release, modified the spool holder to fit unmodified 120 on the unexposed roll side,, added a tripod mount, loops for a neck strap and a hotshoe... I also repaired some broken Bakelite and I can't remember what else...
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:59:00 PM »
Sounds like a good excuse to roll up some 70mm Vericolor onto the 116 spools and load up the 2a.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »
Really must try and clean the lens on the old No.2, as the last time I used it the results were all a bit grungy due to dust on the lens.
Or I could use the Hawkeye. If I could get hold of some 127 I could use the Brownie 127 or the Brownie Reflex!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 05:52:47 PM »
Really must try and clean the lens on the old No.2, as the last time I used it the results were all a bit grungy due to dust on the lens.
Or I could use the Hawkeye. If I could get hold of some 127 I could use the Brownie 127 or the Brownie Reflex!
also, don't forget january 27 for (one) 127 day! :)  (also december 7:th and 12:th july)
/jonas

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 07:23:48 PM »
I need to invent an Agfa Box day... ;)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 04:22:03 PM »
also, don't forget january 27 for (one) 127 day! :)  (also december 7:th and 12:th july)

Just ordered some 127 film, probably enough to shoot on all those occasions. Not used my Brownie Reflex since Bouncy Stonehenge visited Crystal Palace in 2012.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »

Did you just make those up Jonas? Or do you have some links?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 05:27:58 PM »

Ooooh! We could do "A-box" day/week and shoot Agfa, Ansco, or Argus! Does a pseudo-tlr count as a box camera?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
Ooooh! We could do "A-box" day/week and shoot Agfa, Ansco, or Argus! Does a pseudo-tlr count as a box camera?
If we make up the rules, I'd say yes. ;)

Joking aside, I love those classic camera appreciation events. Sometimes it gets people to shoot cameras that have been lying around in cupboards for ages.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 09:39:54 PM »
Does a pseudo-tlr count as a box camera?
They sure do!
A glorified box is still just a box :)

Did you just make those up Jonas? Or do you have some links?
I did find a list a long time ago and I added them to my calendar.
January 10th - 110 day
January 20th - Medium format day
January 26th - 126 day
January 27th - Winter 127 day
February 28th - Bring your box camera to work day
March 17th & 18th - Take your box camera to play day
April 12th - Film photography day
April 20th - 420 day
April 29th - World Pinhole photography day
April 30th - Hand Your 35mm Point-And-Shoot Over To a Fourth Grader Day
May 1st to 7th - International communist camera days
June 11th - 116 day
June 20th - 620 day
July 12th - Summer 127 day
July 12th - International Kodak film photography day
August 28th - 828 day
October 1st - International film buying day
October 15th - International FPP appreciation day
Second to last Saturday in October - World toy camera day
November 26th - Polaroid camera day
December 7th - American 127 day

And then there is Argus day that is a bit harder to compute as it changes in a way google calendar won't let me. The first time the event was organized was on Argust 1st, 2001. The next one fell on Argust 2nd, 2002 and so on. This year will be on Argust 18th, 2018. And yes, the Argus collectors group did slip in a pun ;)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 04:19:30 AM »
I just sent my submission in.  The camera was my Kodak Six-16 Brownie Special using long expired Kodak Verichrome 616 film.  The roll turned out to be mostly a disaster.  while I was rolling it through the camera the tape at the lead of the film was so dried up it came undone and allowed the film to fold over bending one image.  The film is so thin and had such a strong curl I mangled some of it in my struggle to get it on the reel.  After developing it and taking it off the reel to dry it I noticed that some of the backing paper was stuck to the emulsion wiping out 6 of the 8 frames.  These are the two images that survived, I submitted the first one for Brownie Camera Day.  You can make out the crease in the image but I like it better than the other despite that.  I developed the film in beer. 

Bothell Orchard by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bothell Cabin by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 03:11:35 PM »
Well I never got around to using my Brownie Reflex or any of the Rerapan I bought this month, but did shoot a roll of Europan 127 (exp. Dec 69) in my Brownie 127 so sent one of those:-