Author Topic: teleconverter question  (Read 817 times)

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
teleconverter question
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
Im trying to find the longest focal length polaroid camera I can.

I have the 600se and 150mm lens.

I have a polaroid 195 with a 45-46mm set up ring. Could I buy a 46mm 2x converter and attach it on the front? would the results be horrible? I have never used a converter so have no idea what to expect,

Thanks

Matt

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: teleconverter question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
Polaroid made a Tele/Wide Travel Kit with adapter rings for 52, 55 and 58mm. You could possibly put that on the Mamiya 150mm lens as it has 55mm thread. I don't know whether it would work or not. The quality of some Polaroid add-ons were not always top notch. There are some of these kits on ebay.
If you had a Mamiya Press with Polaroid back you could get a 250mm lens, but I suppose you do not want to invest in a new camera system.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:35 PM »
As a rule of thumb, those screw-on in front of the lens attachments are not the greatest. You can expect softness and distortion. But sometimes, it's acceptable.
When you choose an adapter, just make sure it actually fits! And I'm not talking about the filter ring, but the lens itself. I have some by Yashica that come so close to the front element that simply using a filter prevents the lens from fitting.

Also, most of the time you can use them with a step-up ring, so don't worry about the filter size too much.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:40:31 AM »
Thanks both useful stuff.

I will keep looking.

I saw the 250mm universal lens but I wasn't planning to buy another camera - I'll see how common those lenses are!

thank you

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »
If you had a Mamiya Press with Polaroid back you could get a 250mm lens, but I suppose you do not want to invest in a new camera system.

Do you know if the 250mm lens covers packfilm completely?

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »
Good point, Chalky. The Press and Universal were originally made for 6x9 sheet film and 120 roll film. I do not know the image circle on the 250mm, but I found this table which does not look promising for your use. I think some new lenses were introduced to cover the Polaroid format, but probably not the 250mm.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
thank you.

there is a group on flickr that shows some polaroids shot with that lens with little vignette so I may give it a go... picked up a MUP for a good price yesterday... so may have a 600se to sell!

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:30:39 AM »
I already have one, so I'm not in the market.  :) That is unless you have a viewfinder extension for it, it's a bit cramped with the 70mm back mounted.
Regarding the 250mm, be aware that there are two versions, a f5.0 and a f8.0. The f8.0 does not have rangefinder coupling so you would have to use a ground glass to focus.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
Thanks - Yes I'll be going for the f5 version...

cheers!