Author Topic: Baby, it's COLD outside...  (Read 2025 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Baby, it's COLD outside...
« on: January 01, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »
I had a four day weekend; perfect (I thought) to spend some quality time making pictures - but it is 7 freakin' degrees outside! Sigh.

Anyone out there insane enough to be braving the cold?

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Baby, it's COLD outside...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 02:43:14 PM »
Too cold here too.
We're having temperatures in the single digits too, but with 70%+ humidity and wind.
When I check the wind chill factor, it gives felt temperatures at around -40°F.....
I'm pretty sure most of the cameras I have would break or freeze. The only one I can think of that would be ok is my Ondu pinhole. But then I'm not sure I would be ok waiting for the exposure to be over.

I'm seriously considering doing some still life shots of a bunch of old pliers or something.
Even inside the house it's pretty darn cold. I spent all day yesterday wearing some thick polar fleece to stay warm.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
I think you might win Francois! It was a much balmier -25° C or so in "Southern" ontario. But you were in the thermal "promise land", Francois -- where you could say "-40°" and not have to put a "C" or "F" after it, and unless someone naturally thought in the Kelvin scale, they would not have to do any conversion!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
You seem to be much worse off than we are here in southwest Norway, today we were blessed with +3C, 5m/s and rain. I was just fed up being cooped up inside so I dressed well and set off anyway. But nobody wanted to take their coffee outside today...........

Olympus Mju Zoom / Rollei Retro 400s in Rodinal 1:25 10min.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 07:43:14 PM »
Nothing like that here. Typical mid 40's F day with a chance to get down to 30F by tomorrow morning. Western Washington/Puget Sound area usually has pretty dull blah winter weather. Drippy, often dull sky, not too cold, nice for shooting paper negatives, helps tame the contrast.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:02:07 PM »
Let me tell you, I'm pretty tired of having cold feet...

+3 in Norway ???
Now wow, that is warm!
I'd trade that any time... Though I' miss those completely frost covered windows, the crunching of the snow under my feet... nah... not really.

At least when the sun is out, it's not too bad inside the car. But there are a ton of stalled vehicles on the roads every morning and evening.
The Canadian Automotive Association even brags of getting 30,000 people out of trouble over the last three days. That's 10,000 cars from members every day! Just imagine when you factor in everybody who doesn't have their CAA membership.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 11:38:13 PM »
Another spell of weather that makes me wonder why people settled here and how did they survive... I barely survived the walk home last night from my bar

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 02:27:55 AM »
Man you aren't kidding. I almost didn't leave my jacket in the car when the wife and I went for a hike today. I mean it must have been in the low 70's when we started and maybe even dipped into the high 60's by the time we made it back to the car two hours later! Who can tolerate this winter weather!!?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
Another spell of weather that makes me wonder why people settled here and how did they survive... I barely survived the walk home last night from my bar
I wonder the same thing.
When I think that the French explorers went all the way to Louisiana but decided in the end to settle in Quebec even if half of the population died of scurvy every year.... So, if I'm freezing, it's their fault!
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
I went out to the toronto island on one of those really cold days. I was warm at first but after waiting for the ferry back I was pretty chilly afterward. Still wasn't cold enough for the film to break though.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 09:30:25 PM »
Film is pretty tough though. I'm more worried about the cameras.
But I must say that years ago I took my F-601 out on a -20°C day and it survived. The battery didn't like it but managed to work all day.
What's more surprising is that back then the cold wasn't as cold as it is today. It was less damp.

But cold days do make for some nice shots. Too bad it's so uncomfortable.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:35 PM »
I have had problems with shutters not functioning properly in the cold.  The leaf shutter in my Minolta Hi-Matic F wouldn't open in the cold when I took it snowboarding one time.  The shutter curtain in my Zorki I gave uneven exposures in the cold.  It looked like it was slowing down half way through the motion.  It worked fine in warmer weather.  One of my Bolex movie cameras got extremely slow in cold weather, probably old grease hardening.  All these problems happened right around or just below freezing, not that crazy cold Canadian stuff. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
Finally! Out with the cold and in with the snow  :-\
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »
I was really happy when I took my Zeiss Ikon Netta 515/2 out into the snow a few weeks ago because it worked flawlessly. I wasn't sure if the shutter would work or not.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 08:01:48 PM »
I'm off to Scotland at the end of the month for a few days work so hoping to do some shooting in the snow then - fingers crossed.

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
It's 10 degrees Fahrenheit here in Chicago, but it was 0 this morning driving to work. Unfortunately that's not going to stop me from shooting demo landscape images this afternoon with the Hasselblad X1D my work has on loan :P I hope the battery lasts!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
Back to the cold after a 24 hour break.
Cold+major snow storm= clean up the lab... Somebody's gotta do it  ::)
Francois

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 12:52:54 AM »
It's 10 degrees Fahrenheit here in Chicago, but it was 0 this morning driving to work. Unfortunately that's not going to stop me from shooting demo landscape images this afternoon with the Hasselblad X1D my work has on loan :P I hope the battery lasts!

How do you like the X1D?