Author Topic: Rigid enlargers  (Read 1408 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Rigid enlargers
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
a lil bug has bit my interest again. Anyone tried anything like these Before? they seem really fun :D

I saw 52rolls has used one https://52rolls.net/2014/11/07/roll-33-no-2-brownie-enlarging-camera-history-exercise/

Express Daylight Enlarger by Steve Given, on Flickr

more models http://chestofbooks.com/arts/photography/Practical-Photography/Chapter-XXIV-Elementary-Bromide-Enlarging.html

This looks simple enough, right?

info on kodak ones like the model below https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33183/33183-h/33183-h.htm Pg 38 & 39

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:11:26 PM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Rigid enlargers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
I must admit that I had never seen those before!
Somehow it reminds me of the old daylab enlarger which was even less flexible than those.

It should be fairly easy and cheap to build one using an odd lens or a small magnifying glass. Heck, it would even be better with a pinhole as you wouldn't even need to focus it!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
Been meaning to build one for my half frame negs to make a fixed magnification print. What I envision is using a LED bulb for diffusion light source and I already have a Olympus 38mm f2.8 enlarging lens. Thought 6X8inchs on 8X10 paper would be alright and the whole box would be less than 20 inch's high with lamp house attached. The lens could be set for the correct distance and left just slightly unthreaded in the M39 mount so one could touch up the focus.

Don't know how VC paper will react to LED bulb so I may just stick to graded paper. Figured I can make the whole thing out of plywood, painted black inside. 
Ah well, spring project.

A more compact version for half frame would be for 4.5X6 in prints on 5X7 paper.

Bear in mind, my contraption would still have to be used in a darkroom with safe light. But it would be fast to set up, slip in the neg, set the aperture, check fine focus, slip in the paper and expose. Use regular 3 tray and a bucket, rinse off (RC paper) and hang it up. Should be fast.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:41:05 PM by John Robison »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »
VC paper should work just fine with an LED bulb just as long as it isn't red ;)

I have an old Super 8 projector lens and some old 16mm projector lenses I'm trying to see if I can't figure out how to make them work.
I was thinking of making a device using an Omega D2 lensboard that I would equip with it's own diffuser, film holder and lens to make an Enla-Unit.
That would take care of the light source, but I still would have to make a focusing rail of some sort... or build an helicoidal mount in a way (there were a few enlargers that had those)... probably using plumbing parts.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 11:17:06 PM »
I realise the irony with the title and the actual rigid enlarger picture i attached to the post being is eeeh yeah sorry :D

What really got me going this time was a kodak vest enlarger camera I saw for the second time tgis year on the local fleabay. Just the idea of shooting with a kodak vest pocket camera and using one of these bax-tube thingies (see last picture in above post or follow that link with the page numbers) got me excited with how easy it could be to get quick prints.
/jonas

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »
My dad had one of the Kodak transparency enlargers and a number of the later Cinelarger models, for 8mm, 16mm, and 35mm. He primarily used them for enlarging motion picture frames. The downside to these is that they were designed for 620 format; not insurmountable, but re-spooling 120 can be a hassle.

Unfortunately, I didn't know what I didn't know at the time I had to deal with my dad's accumulation of cameras and related gear, and ended up giving most of the more esoteric items to Goodwill. I periodically see similar items listed on the Shop Goodwill site, so there are apparently still some kicking around.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
Cute!! I guess you also could load up a sheet of photo paper for making small prints :)
/jonas

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
or maybe I'll macgyver something up as usual ;D

/jonas

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »
Cute!! I guess you also could load up a sheet of photo paper for making small prints :)

It could be fun to shoot some Film Washi with one of those to produce some distinctive prints.