Author Topic: Removing a glued rubber lens hood  (Read 1319 times)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Removing a glued rubber lens hood
« on: December 20, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
Hi all,

Some time ago I inherited a Leica CL with the 90mm Elmar and 40mm Summicron from an uncle of mine. The lenses are quite nice, but they still had a (broken) rubber lens hood glued to the front. I already tried to remove the rubber hoods mechanically and was semi successful with the 90mm lens (only few rubber flakes left). The rubber on the 40mm on the other hand is rock solid and I am afraid of damaging the lens if I continue with my knive.

Has anyone here removed rubber hoods before or has any suggestions? My next attempt would probably be to dab it carefully with paint thinner or terpentine, but I am not sure if that is good.

Thanks!
Manuel

chris667

• Peel Apart
Re: Removing a glued rubber lens hood
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »
I might start with methylated spirits.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:54:47 PM »
Or even a baby wipe, then clear up the residue with meths.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
Have you tried a high quality oil that doesn't resinify, e. g. Balistol? Oil is a potent solvent. If you take care that it doesn't enter the lens, that could work.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
Thank you both! Will give that a try.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 08:58:06 PM »
If there is a plastic filter ring attached to the lens and hood, you just use the back of a rubbery mouse pad. Set flat lens down and with both hands wiggle left and right to try and remove it. Don't be afraid to put a bit of pressure there. I've loosened many filters like that.

Most rubber lens hoods are held like filters.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 05:43:28 AM »
Thanks Francois! Unfortunately these rubber hoods are a fixed part of the lens and were glued there by the Leica/Cosina people. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 07:01:34 AM »
Is there any chance of removing the part the hood is attached to away from the lens? You could then submerge the whole part in a solvent.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »
Or maybe you could set the lens face down in a shallow plate and pour a bit of solvent just high enough to cover the affected region without touching the glass.

Or you could wrap the lens ring with a piece of rag and soak that with acetone or nail polish remover.

Just be aware that solvents will remove pretty much any paint!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.