Author Topic: My Last Four Rolls of Expired Kodak Gold 200  (Read 5282 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
My Last Four Rolls of Expired Kodak Gold 200
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:01:01 AM »
At some point in the hazy past, I bought a lot of expired Kodak Gold 200 (the 200-6 version; I believe the current one is 200-8). I shot some, but four rolls languished as I moved away from color film. When I do shoot color these days, it's usually Ektar. I determined that it was time to burn the last rolls of Gold 200 late this summer, but I knew I needed a plan. Knowing myself reasonably well, I knew I had to pick a single camera and commit to using it only for this film until it (the film, not the camera) was gone. I decided to use my Hexar AF, which I've enjoyed since I got it earlier this year. Its metering seems quite accurate and the lens is very good, so I figured that would help to extract as much as quality as the film had left to offer.

Summer led into fall and the film wasn't gone, but that wasn't a bad thing. More color, more (potentially) interesting results. I took the camera on a mountain bike ride, a few hikes, a few days trips, and a long weekend in Maine. It's a very easy thing to use - autofocus and aperture priority make me lazy - but happily the results justified my selection, in spite of the ever-present feeling that I was cheating somehow. There's no real theme to this photo essay, except perhaps as a loosely organized and incomplete record of the past few months' leisure activities. But looking at the collected scans they felt strangely cohesive, so a photo essay it is.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:11:31 AM by 02Pilot »
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: My Last Four Rolls of Expired Kodak Gold 200
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:03:36 AM »
More.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:08:45 AM »
Still more.

And that's it.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »

I decided to use my Hexar AF (...) It's a very easy thing to use - autofocus and aperture priority make me lazy (...).

I would say that when a camera makes you feel like you are cheating, and you are satisfied with the results and the whole experience. Then it´s an enjoyable and effective camera  ;D  Loving the results

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Great essay 02Pilot, the fall colors look great.  I shoot a lot of expired Kodak Gold 200 and really like how it holds up over time.  Most of my expired Gold is over 10 years out of date so I half the speed for every 10 years.  Kodak Max 400 also seems to hold up pretty well over time.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 01:47:38 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm trying to simply my film stocks by using up old oddball rolls, and while this got me closer to that goal, I'm a bit sorry it's gone, as I do like the results. But I can always get more if need be; right now I've got lots of Ektar, and I'm not shooting enough color right now to justify buying more of any sort.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 05:29:32 AM »
Brilliant shots, O2Pilot. I definitely like the autumn mood. The brownish cast of the Kodak Gold really fits the mood.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:13:24 AM »
Thanks. I've always preferred the warm cast of Kodak's color print films - probably just an artifact of growing up seeing nothing else (well, that and Kodachrome).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »
This is a real warming set of picture Andrej. I know I've come to them late but they are a very cohesive set that that make you long for the warmer times the tree and bridge stand out for me

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 01:50:27 PM »
Thanks Irv. Looking back at them now and comparing them to the snow-covered scene outside my window, I certainly share your sentiments.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
 Lovely.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 08:45:57 AM »
A fine set of images

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 06:28:01 PM »
Beautiful photos.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 01:46:01 AM »
Thank you folks. Glad you enjoyed seeing them.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
oh man oh man, really loving these! reminds of the colors out of an old favorite, kodak profoto 100 I've shot before.

www.flickr.com/photos/jonasfx/7528866714/
/jonas

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 03:55:27 AM »
Very nice set and I love Kodak Gold 200.
It's been my go to film for a long time...ever since a guy at a photo lab I used to use in Houston told me you can't go wrong with it...

Your Fall colors are just perfect!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
Thanks, folks. I never shot Profoto 100, but I've had good experiences with Gold 200. Sadly, it's gone up in price enough that these days I just pay the small additional premium and use Ektar.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-