Author Topic: Ihagee Elbaflex  (Read 674 times)

EarlJam

Ihagee Elbaflex
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »
Interesting times. Hard on the heels of the Reflex is the Elbaflex, yet another 35mm SLR on Kickstarter from a new iteration of Ihagee. It's described as "a joint effort of German and Ukrainian engineers. The inside of the camera is based on Ukrainian camera technology design manufactured in the Ukrainian Arsenal factory up to the late 1980s."

Proposed specs include:

- Fully mechanical SLR
- Shutter speeds from 1/2 to 1/500, plus B
- Nikon F mount
- PC connector for flash, sync at 1/60

The camera apparently hits Kickstarter on Monday, 13 November. Personally, I find this approach a bit more practical than Reflex, in that it's based on an existing design and uses an established mount for which there are 10s of thousands of lenses available on the used market at generally affordable prices.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/11/10/new-elbaflex-nikon-f-mount-slr-takes-35mm-film/#/
http://i-hagee.com/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:55:33 PM by EarlJam »

John Robison

• Peel Apart
Re: Ihagee Elbafkex
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »
The spec's look a little more realistic than the Reflex project. When all is said and done, really how fancy a camera do you need for a 35mm SLR? Especially for those folks just starting to explore film photography, no matter their age. And the F mount has a gazillion used lenses available, both Nikkors and aftermarket lens makers from our past and present.

One question arises from the spec's on their site, they say the shutter is metal but has a vertical slot? Does that mean a metal foil roller blind shutter or a more likely vertical travel metal shutter developed from the Copal Square style?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:15:44 PM by John Robison »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Ihagee Elbaflex
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed that they went for the Nikon F mount. While there are thousands of lenses for it, the registration distance prevents you from adapting weird lenses to the camera.

On the other hand, if they had gone the route of a Pentax K mount, you can fit a glassless adapter on them.

Also, Nikon lenses tend to fetch a higher price than Pentax lenses that were made in the millions.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

AJShepherd

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 01:00:04 AM »
I have seen scuttlebutt on 'teh intarwebs' that this may be a rehashed Kiev 19 - which seems quite plausible in a way.

That said, I do like the fact it's mechanical so no battery to recharge.

Be interesting to find out more.

That said, I agree that a K mount would be a better bet for a new 35mm film SLR due to the choice of lenses available.

EarlJam

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 02:58:18 AM »
My theory is that they've done a deal with Nikon or Cosina for Nikon FM10 lens mounts. Unless I've missed something, the FM10 is only mechanical SLR remaining in the market.

John Robison

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:49:17 AM »
My theory is that they've done a deal with Nikon or Cosina for Nikon FM10 lens mounts. Unless I've missed something, the FM10 is only mechanical SLR remaining in the market.
I think the FM10 is discontinued. B&H lists it as "No longer available"
So, unless there is some NOS laying around it's dead.
The F6 is still listed, Nikon probably sells what....maybe six a year.....worldwide.

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Cosina stopped making the FM10 for Nikon July of 2016.  Currently, the only SLR being made isnthe F6....about 50 a month by twp Nikon employees. 

The project looks very interesting.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Now THIS is something I can get behind.

I think the idea of a simple, manual SLR at a low price could be a great thing. Yes, it's a shame it takes Nikon lenses, but still.

I will put something to this one.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »

The only lens system I have none of, PK or M42 would have felt more proletarian.

Interested :-)

Like the back and lens mount changing on the Reflex, feels less of a rehash but I'm a sucker for all things that have a whiff of Zenit & TOE about them.

Might get my Kosmo film soon too.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »
Yeah, the packaging nerd in me can't wait to see what the box will look like  ;D
Francois

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 05:15:49 AM »
looks like it came from a Kiev 19

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »

John Robison

• Peel Apart
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »
Just saw the Kickstarter campaign. My interest meter just dropped to zero. They say these will be built to order after the KS campaign at $1500 a copy!
Yeah, I'm sure (cue heavy sarcasm).
If anyone wants a Nikon mount camera that is a tank there are still plenty of Nikkormat's of all vintages for 1/5 or less of the "special 24 hour offer of $499" on their KS campaign.

EarlJam

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
Just saw the Kickstarter campaign. My interest meter just dropped to zero. They say these will be built to order after the KS campaign at $1500 a copy!
If anyone wants a Nikon mount camera that is a tank there are still plenty of Nikkormat's of all vintages for 1/5 or less of the "special 24 hour offer of $499" on their KS campaign.

Agree 100%. I paid $150 last year for a pristine, "closet queen" F2 with 50/1.4. What's interesting, to me, is that the Kiev 19M sold for around $100 with lens, around $250 in today's dollars. As this appears to be an update of that camera, with essentially the same specs from what I can tell, $500 with lens would be much more in line for the Elbaflex.

John Robison

• Peel Apart
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »

Agree 100%. I paid $150 last year for a pristine, "closet queen" F2 with 50/1.4. What's interesting, to me, is that the Kiev 19M sold for around $100 with lens, around $250 in today's dollars. As this appears to be an update of that camera, with essentially the same specs from what I can tell, $500 with lens would be much more in line for the Elbaflex.
Congrats on the F2 deal. Not as exciting, but I found a 55mm f2.8 Vivitar 1:1 macro at a pawn shop for $20 but didn't have a M42 body for it. A little later picked up a Fujica ST605n for $25, although that was about 3 years ago good deals are still out there. What we in the film community really need is a list and location of experienced film users who would volunteer to guide film camera newby's who need help assessing the functionality of used equipment. That is even more important than a new 35mm camera.

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »

I went through the Kickstart and their website and see no mention of this camera at $1500.  Where did you see that?

John Robison

• Peel Apart
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 09:45:48 PM »

I went through the Kickstart and their website and see no mention of this camera at $1500.  Where did you see that?
It's under the campaign information 6 paragraphs down from the top, just a little above the picture of the 4 colors of leatherette.
And I quote;
"The retail launch price of the camera will be much higher and is currently planed to be around $1500-......."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:53:15 PM by John Robison »

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 02:43:04 AM »

It's under the campaign information 6 paragraphs down from the top, just a little above the picture of the 4 colors of leatherette.
And I quote;
"The retail launch price of the camera will be much higher and is currently planed to be around $1500-......."

Holy cow!  I'll just get an F6 instead.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 06:25:50 PM »
The whole thing is not even questionable and another bad example how an old brand name is slaughtered to milk naive people. The 130+ comments in the biggest german analogue forum are sledgehammer.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:29:46 PM by imagesfrugales »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 08:54:20 PM »
Somehow, I don't entirely blame them (the people on the forum).
One of the things that bug me is what they are about to pass old Kiev parts for something with German quality and workmanship...
I'm sure that if the original Ihagee founders were still here, they would have been ashamed of seeing something like that done to their company.

Francois

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »
Interesting? Not really at that tag price and with Nikon mount. These days much people jump without parachute, not achieving a deep survey to really prove that the project is feasible. We will see...

Oh, I would have chosen M42 mount. Why Nikon?
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Pentax P30/Pentax MZ5n/Yashica FX3/Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Mamiya C22/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »
Oh, I would have chosen M42 mount. Why Nikon?
Because the Kiev M19 has a Nikon mount and not a M42. They grabbed what they could get for a few bucks and put a new badge on. Batteries and checking old meters coasts money and know-how, so they are disabled. 90 % profit. Money for nothing, chicks for free .....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:10:11 PM by imagesfrugales »

John Robison

• Peel Apart
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »
They just might not reach their goal. To do that they would need backers for the 43 open slots at $529 each, in 17 days. That would require a lot of not too savvy backers.