Author Topic: It looks like a Friday.  (Read 2090 times)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
It looks like a Friday.
« on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
Something from the autumn woods.

171104_por8_07 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Pinhole, Portra 800.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: It looks like a Friday.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
All my fall colors are awaiting development, so instead here's one from a couple winters ago.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »
Last weekend's "Memories of the Departed" thread reminded me of a camera I owned for 20+ years but never bonded with, the Fujica GS 645S, purchased new in 1994. I shot this one in July 1995, of Vista House on Crown Point, along the Columbia River, from the Menucha Retreat Center about a mile to the west. It had been dark and rainy all day; in late afternoon, the clouds cleared and a bit of sun peeked through, just long enough for me to notice the view and make the exposure.

I really wanted to like that camera. I probably shot more than 100 rolls over the years, but could never overcome the quirks: portrait composition when the camera was held "normally", and that the camera didn't like Fuji film. Whenever I used Fuji film, the takeup rolled loose, resulting in light leaks. This occurred 100% of the time with Fuji, but never Kodak film. I chalked it up to a difference in backing paper, with the Fuji paper perhaps being a little slicker or more polished than Kodak. In any event, the camera saw less and less use as we entered the 2000s, and went off to its new owner a couple of years ago.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:12:29 PM by EarlJam »

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
Happy Friday everyone! Going to see if I can have a beer with Satish this weekend in NYC!

This was taken in Ilford HP5+, triple exposure. 50mm 1.8, EI @ 400, developed in Ilfotec DD-X 1:9 for 14 minutes.

Time Traveler
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

Gloomy New Hope
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr
Fuji Superia Xtra @ EI 320, 50mm 1.8, a $5 Polaroid CPF that was coming loose by spinning it the wrong way.
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »
Earl, nice shot,  I do love the Columbia River Gorge, some amazing scenery that is even more amazing to see in person.  I don't know if you got any further up river into the desert of Eastern Washington but I think the scenery just gets better. 

These were shot with an Olympus XA in Napa Valley, CA.  The film is Ferrania P30 exposed at ISO 25 and developed in beer.  More shots from this roll are in my Photo Essay, "Napa County Wildfire".  http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9397.0

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
That Ferrania P30 looks very nice, have to try it sometime.

Contax 645 / Zeiss Distagon 45mm f2.8 / Agfa APX25 in Xtol
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
Earl, nice shot,  I do love the Columbia River Gorge, some amazing scenery that is even more amazing to see in person.  I don't know if you got any further up river into the desert of Eastern Washington but I think the scenery just gets better. 

These were shot with an Olympus XA in Napa Valley, CA.  The film is Ferrania P30 exposed at ISO 25 and developed in beer.  More shots from this roll are in my Photo Essay, "Napa County Wildfire".  http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9397.0

Thanks, Bryan. On that trip, we drove upriver as far as The Dalles, then headed south to Bend. Re Beerol, not sure if you caught last Sunday's episode of The Simpsons, but there was a reference to developing film in beer, in the opening segment. I guess Beerol is now part of popular culture.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 05:44:56 PM »
I didn't see that Earl, now I need to get some Duff beer and try it.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »
I like starting the weekend with a pinhole...
so here's one from me while driving a mile.
3d pinhole printed "Flyer" , old 100 speed Arista dunked in caffenol

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
For the first time in years, I decided to bring out the Graflex and try some of the Arista Ortho Litho 2.0 I got a few years ago.
Apart from giving me hell and a few duds, I managed to get this one that I like even with the slightly fogged line caused by my mishandling.

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
A couple from an upcoming essay
HP5 in the ETRSi ( excuse the crappy scanning )

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »
For the first time in years, I decided to bring out the Graflex and try some of the Arista Ortho Litho 2.0 I got a few years ago.
Apart from giving me hell and a few duds, I managed to get this one that I like even with the slightly fogged line caused by my mishandling.

That Ortho Litho 2.0 is a cold-hearted mistress. Looks like you have the contrast under control though. Mind sharing dev details?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »
I used some HC-110 at dilution F. (1:79)Developed for about 1 minute. I was planning on developing by inspection but had a small light leak on my hand built safelight, so I had one of my tests that came out with some solarization.

I did discover a few things about it though. The only information I had found on the Internet was that it was to be rated somewhere between EI 6 and 12. I tried those but kept getting almost completely clear film. So I decided to just do some testing (well, if we can call two prints testing) with the nagging suspicion that it probably had the same emulsion as photo paper, so I exposed it at EI 3 just like I do for Ilford Multigrade. And it worked.

Development time seems to be a bit of a non-issue in a sense. I just developed to completion, which is the easiest way to do things. I might have done 90 seconds, but at that point not much was happening on the emulsion.

One of the things that surprised me (and caused me to check the film too close to the safelight) is that the blacks are never as dark with HC-110 Dil.F as with PQ Universal in my usual 1+9 dilution... So, in the darkroom it can be a bit misleading. But the negatives look fine and should be easy to print. I just have to be careful when using clothespins to dry the film to avoid leaving marks on the surface...

Anybody got a trick to avoid those marks?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.