Author Topic: Help: Window shopping for film.  (Read 2542 times)

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Help: Window shopping for film.
« on: October 27, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »
Hello, fellow Filmwasters,

I'm planning a little day-trip (that could turn into an overnight) to the Delaware Water Gap (the PA/NJ portion) here in the U.S. Probably within the next couple of weekends. The idea is to hike a bit and take some shots of the Fall foliage. And I don't know which film to take with me. I'm going to order some from B&H since I need to stock on B&W anyways, however, I'd like to ask for any suggestions as this is really my first trip to photograph Fall foliage.

Velvia/Provia are strong candidates, but perhaps a mixture of print/slide film will do?

Any suggestions?
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Help: Window shopping for film.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
Velvia is good for color.
Ektar should also do good.

But if you want to get the most red out of the foliage, the trick is to get a redhancer filter. These use some didymium glass to enhance the reds in the image while leaving the rest pretty much unaffected. They can be a bit expensive but they're one of the least known tricks in landscape photography.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
The filter sounds very interesting, however, I think that on this trip I will be taking my cheap CPL from Polaroid and trying it out since I've only used it a couple of times before. Once, with a roll of Velvia 100 loaded to my EOS Elan 7, walking around NYC during the day. It really accentuated the blue in the sky, which I would love to do from a high point, while the colored leaves are below. I think that if shot at the right angle, it could further increase the "pop" factor of the colors against the dark blue.

The second time I used was using B&W and I didn't like it since once I scanned it made my pictures look extremely grainy. Not sure if perhaps is a scanner issue or maybe the Tmax 100 roll wasn't 100% but I was definitely not satisfied with the results.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
Hi Miguel.

I can't comment on the filter Francois has mentioned as I've never used one. However, I've shot plenty of autumnal colour both filter-free (using Portra 400 and Vevia Pro 100f) and with a polarising filter. The pola filter has the benefit of cutting reflections off damp leaves and also darkening a blue sky.  They are usually pretty colour-neutral, so you can always push the sliders a bit if you feel that you need more saturation, etc.  I'm not sure what time of day you'll be shooting but a lightweight tripod and cable release are a couple of useful extras if your shutter speed is slower than 1/shutter speed.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »
Hi Miguel.

I can't comment on the filter Francois has mentioned as I've never used one. However, I've shot plenty of autumnal colour both filter-free (using Portra 400 and Vevia Pro 100f) and with a polarising filter. The pola filter has the benefit of cutting reflections off damp leaves and also darkening a blue sky.  They are usually pretty colour-neutral, so you can always push the sliders a bit if you feel that you need more saturation, etc.  I'm not sure what time of day you'll be shooting but a lightweight tripod and cable release are a couple of useful extras if your shutter speed is slower than 1/shutter speed.

I will be shooting, hopefully, with sunlight, from maybe noon-ish until dusk. I'm taking a tripod with me, although I don't have a cable release/remote. I'm tempted to pick up a roll of CineStill 50D as well, although the reviews seem to point towards Ektar being a better choice unless you're going for a very particular look.

So far I've added a roll of Velvia 50 to my cart.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »
I've got a couple of rolls of CineStill 50 (120) but haven't used it yet.  At least it's daylight balanced (the 800 version is Tungsten). You won't go far wrong with Velvia - so long as you get the exposure spot on as it's not very forgiving if over-exposed. A little under is manageable.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »
That's pretty much why I'm not always keen on slide film. You have to make sure your gear is really in good shape to get great results.

The advantage of the redhancer filter is that the blues remain intact. It's not just a color cast thing all over the picture like some would imagine. It can also be combined with a polarizer.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 08:54:27 PM »
I shot this with CineStill 800T metered at ISO 1,600 and pushed 2 stops, no filter.

Pumpkins by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This was Ektar 100

Virginia Creeper by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »
If you go back to the 1970s NatGeo magazines you'll probably find plenty of shots of fall in Vermont taken with both a polariser and a warm-up filter together.  All the rage back then.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »
If you go back to the 1970s NatGeo magazines you'll probably find plenty of shots of fall in Vermont taken with both a polariser and a warm-up filter together.  All the rage back then.

You can still buy warm polariser filters. They are called Moose filters. I think after someone who thought up the idea (Mr Moose?) rather than it being intended to shoot moose
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 10:42:08 PM »
You can still buy warm polariser filters. They are called Moose filters. I think after someone who thought up the idea (Mr Moose?) rather than it being intended to shoot moose
Though I wouldn't us it to take photos into the woods. You know, it is hunting season and I know plenty of people who would shoot anything called a moose  ;D ;D ;D
Francois

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 01:18:19 AM »
Interesting...

I think I will go with Ektar, since it's a few dollars cheaper than the CineStill (although I still want to try the 800T for city/night photography), and Velvia 50. Unfortunately, my lens selection is still limited to a 50mm 1.8 which is almost always on, and a 35-70 that I rarely use. I'll carry it for those shots in which I need a wider angle, but my CPF doesn't work on it because once the filter is on, the zoom doesn't work.  ::)

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »
I am not fan of Ektar, at least in 35mm. Very contrasty and kind of unreal landscapes, but it all depends on the light/time of day (I think) I would go with Velvia 50 (shot at 40 or even 32) for punchy colours of nature. Main problem here is scanning the slides, which to me it is not an easy task.

If you want natural colours and crystal clear images, then Provia 100F or Agfa CT Precisa will do the job. And scanning these is not difficult at all.

BUT any film you choose, I would grab an firm tripod and a cable release without doubt for sharper images. You cannot imagine how frustrating is willing to take a snap of the dark foliage with a recommended shutter speed of 1/8 without a tripod!!!  :-[

Good luck!
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 03:32:07 PM »
I've had very good luck with Velvia, both 50 (Mirror Lake) and 100 (Monterey Bay). Unfortunately, no "fall color" reference shots in my archive; in much of California, we only have two seasons, green and brown, but these should give you a good idea of sky color on a clear, sunny day.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 11:48:51 PM »
Lovely shots, Earl and Bryan!

I've always been curious about Agfa CT Precisa, however, I just saw it on B&H for $15 and I am not sure that I'd be willing to pay $15 for it, over the $12 of Velvia 50 and $10 of Provia 100F.

I've also learned two new things about filters, including a "moose" one. The only moose I'm familiar with is Moose Tracks Ice Cream.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 05:19:32 AM »
The (German) film shop of my choice says that the Agfa CT Precisa is a "follow-up product to the Fuji Sensia 100" (their words, my translation), whatever that means.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 08:02:14 PM »
Thanks everybody! I'll be ordering the film today :)