Author Topic: Share The Love 2017  (Read 15194 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Share The Love 2017
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
I really love how this is going!
Now to drum up some wants.

Kodak HIE, or high speed infrared is the classic go to when it comes to ir images with white trees and naturally black skies. It's also perfect for portraits as it makes all skins buttery smooth. It's so sad that it's not produced anymore.

Who will be the lucky one to be one of the last few who gets a chance to experience this one of a kind look?
1. Does the HIE develop in traditional chemicals?
2. Is an R72 filter what's required to shoot it?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, then I'd love to give IR a go - and I have a sweet little camera to offer up.... 8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
Yes, and yes.

I'll PM you .

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
Don't you also need a very dark red filter to get the Infrared look?

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »
You can get away with a red filter as I've read. I have some HIE from 1997 that I wouldn't mind trying that I will use with a red filter

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2017, 04:31:50 PM »
Don't you also need a very dark red filter to get the Infrared look?
Yes, and the R72 is the filter for that. It's big fun!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »
OK - so I've taken Becky's HIE film off her hands (though not the point and shoot as I'm trying to reduce the number of cameras I have). 

To that end, I'm offering up a Voigtlander Vitomatic II compact rangefinder.  It's in great condition; even the meter works.  The lens is a Voigtlander Color-Skopar 50mm f2.8 in a Prontor SLK shutter.  It doesn't have a case or strap but it will be adequately boxed-up to prevent damage.

Anyone interested?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »
I'll take the Voigtländer!

I'll offer a Kodak 35 (non-RF). It also is in great working condition. The lens is surprisingly sharp.

example image:

Planter by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
I'll take the Voigtländer!

I'll offer a Kodak 35 (non-RF). It also is in great working condition. The lens is surprisingly sharp.

example image:

Planter by James Harr, on Flickr
No problem, James.  I have a film in it at the moment.  I'll run this off this weekend and get it to you asap.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 09:52:31 PM »
Ohh that is tempting...
But since shipping would be expensive on something like that, I'll have to pass... (darn that no salary thing  :( )
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2017, 10:02:47 PM »
Ohh that is tempting...
But since shipping would be expensive on something like that, I'll have to pass... (darn that no salary thing  :( )

As I have benefited from the generosity of others (indeed this very camera was a surprise delivery from an acquaintance), I'll gladly ship it. PM your address and put something juicy up for trade! :)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
This is super cool!
Thanks

I'll go through my stash and try and pop out another rarity :)
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »
OK, this is the first thing I found in my drawers.
It's a Spiratone flash meter.
To me, this is the only real way to use an electronic flash.
Just pop the flash and it gives out the aperture you need to use. That simple.
It's reliable and lightweight. Best of all, it works using a single 9V battery! The perfect way to use those old smoke detector cells that are still plenty good after a year of service.

And if somebody wants it and doesn't have a flash, I can go through my stuff and add one to the package.

Here's the piccy.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
OK, I've decided to leave this on 'till tomorrow.
I've been going through my stash of goodies and bound some really great stuff. Expect things to get better and better as this thread ages  ;D
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »
OK, moving on to something else.

I have a 35mm Mamiya MSX 1000 with a rare Auto Rikenon 55mm f/2.8 mounted onto it.
The camera is missing the battery cover, so the exposure meter will likely never work. But since the camera is all mechanical, it's no problem.
I've never used it, but I checked the shutter and it seems to be OK. Speeds below 1/8th of a second sound a bit on the slow side but everything works (including the self timer!)

So, who will be the lucky one who will put his paws on this M42 beauty?
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 07:41:14 PM »
OK, moving on to something else.

I have a 35mm Mamiya MSX 1000 with a rare Auto Rikenon 55mm f/2.8 mounted onto it.
The camera is missing the battery cover, so the exposure meter will likely never work. But since the camera is all mechanical, it's no problem.
I've never used it, but I checked the shutter and it seems to be OK. Speeds below 1/8th of a second sound a bit on the slow side but everything works (including the self timer!)

So, who will be the lucky one who will put his paws on this M42 beauty?

This gem apparently has a 6-degree spot meter. I'll hazard a guess that the battery cover isn't unique to Mamiya, so there may be suitable replacements from other cameras . . .

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »
It uses a strange bayonet type cover... Also, there is a strange factory made square on the mirror at the bottom...

Really a strange beast.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
Per the manual, the CdS cell is on the back of the mirror. Strange beast, indeed.

EXPOSURE CONTROL: CdS cell positioned on the back of the reflex mirror (spot system).  The metering system is cross coupled to the shutter speed control, film speed dial, and diaphragm mechanism on all automatic SX lenses. This system accurately measures light at full aperture with Mamiya/sekor SX lenses. With other universal thread mount lenses, the metering system will operate in the stop-down mode.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2017, 12:46:47 AM »
OK, after much hemming and hawing, I'll take Francois' Mamiya. Too interesting a camera to pass up.

I'm offering a set of Cokin filters and 52mm adapter: Gradual (120); Spot Incolor (061), and Spot Grey (062). I don't recall when or where I obtained these, probably from my last corporate photographer position in the mid-1980s. I never used them and it's possible that they've never been used; they deserve a good home.

In addition, I'll include a delightfully arcane print exposure calculator, the Rowi Fixomet. These were distributed in the US by Soligor. At one time I must have had the instruction sheet, as it's in the photo, but it's apparently wandered off. If not for your darkroom, perhaps the ideal gift for the photographer who has everything.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
I could be a taker for the filter holder and exposure meter :)

I'll wee what I can find in my stuff.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »
OK, it's official, the meter comes to a new home :)

Now for the following item.
This is for all those Fuji fans. I have a Fujica 55mm f/2.2 that looks like it just came out of the factory!
My original plan was to modify it to fit on my Nikon, but I quickly discovered this is impossible. So, here it is.

So, if anyone has a camera that can use this rare mount, here's your chance :)
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
OK, this has been stalled for long enough.

Anybody up for another round?
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
I've got a Baldessa 1B that could use a new home. Rangefinder is contrasty and bright, meter seems to work, shutter in great working order.

I haven't tested it but everything seems to function normally. Compact well made rangefinder, with cool quirky features.

not my picture.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »
Now for another round!
Yes!

This camera was made by Balda and features an uncoupled selenium meter and rangefinder. Prontor shutters are renowned for their reliability and are easy to lubricate if the need may arise.

Now, why is this camera so wonderful you may ask? Well, it was designed by Karl-Heinz Lange. He's the guy who designed the Voigtlander Vito C and the Nimslo cameras among others.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
Time to get this going again, I'll take the Baldessa 1B and offer up a Pentax K1000 with a non-working meter.  The meter responds to light but it is way off.  everything else functions as it should.  It includes a 50mm lens.  I'll get a picture posted later.  If there are no takers on the Pentax I have plenty more to offer so if there are no takers in a few days I'll post something else. 

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »
pm received!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »
Time to get this going again, I'll take the Baldessa 1B and offer up a Pentax K1000 with a non-working meter.  The meter responds to light but it is way off.  everything else functions as it should.  It includes a 50mm lens.  I'll get a picture posted later.  If there are no takers on the Pentax I have plenty more to offer so if there are no takers in a few days I'll post something else.
I have to say that having been a Nikon devotee for many years, I received a K1000 as a gift from an acquaintance and it is such a good camera that it has become my 'go to' every day carry. The Pentax 50mm/1.7 focuses down to less than half a meter, so closeup photography is a breeze. Even without a working meter (unless you only shoot E6) it would be well worth having one of these in the arsenal.
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:19 AM »
This is the Pentax K1000.  Please not that it does not have the cover for the frame counter, there's a little haze in the lens and the light meter doesn't work.  The haze in the lens isn't enough to affect images.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:12:55 AM by Bryan »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2017, 03:44:23 AM »
Since there are no takers on the K1000 I'll offer a Plastic Kinderman Film developing tank with a stainless steel 120 reel and a Capro Squeegee.  I'm not sure what brand the reel is but it's in good condition and the tank seals good. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »
Now to drum up this tank, stainless is the best way to process film. While there is an initial learning curve, once you get the hang of it it's not really difficult.
You clip the film in the center and keep it board with your right hand . As you turn the reel in the correct direction with your left hand, the film falls into the groove by itself.

It's not dependant on humidity, leftover photo-flo. Perfect for developing a bunch of film in the same afternoon
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2017, 03:21:29 PM »
I'll take the tank and dig through my stuff for a goodie or two.
I need a tank !  Yay.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2017, 04:29:40 PM »
I'm taking Bryan's tank, and offering a sweet little Minolta Hi Matic G.
I'll add a roll of Kodak Gold 200 to make it extra appealing.

The camera is super small, and quite charming...would probably make a nice street camera or a keep in the car type camera.

Whos' going to be the lucky one for this?   8)

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
I'm interested in Becky's Hi-Matic. PM sent. Will post my offer once I hear back from Becky.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »
I'm interested in Becky's Hi-Matic. PM sent. Will post my offer once I hear back from Becky.

wow! That went quick!    8)

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »
Looking forward to using Becky's H-Matic. I'm a sucker for 70s/80s fixed lens rangefinders. My first "real" camera was a Konica C35, which worked flawlessly until my sister dropped it, lens down.

I'm offering a complete Norwood Model B meter set. Not sure when the meter was manufactured, other than post-WW II (update: likely sometime between 1948 and 1950). The shutter speed indicators cover the earlier shutter speed range: 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, etc., so it's a good mate for use with older leaf shutter cameras.

The set includes the case, reflected light and incident disks, two dark slides, and manual. The white plastic on the dome and disk have yellowed a bit over the years, but the meter is still reasonably accurate, certainly close enough for B+W or color negative.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:46:53 PM by EarlJam »

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »
I like becky's method of creating an image of her offering.

"just throw it in the scanner"

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
I hadn't noticed  ::)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
I like becky's method of creating an image of her offering.

"just throw it in the scanner"

I was wondering what the weird reflection in the viewfinder was, it looks like teeth.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2017, 12:12:45 AM »
It's too easy sometimes.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »
Let's give that exposure meter a chance.
The Norwood director is a classic that is now produced by sekonic.
It uses a selenium cell so no battery is needed.
Perfect for both indoor and outdoor shots. It was the meter of choice for my photo teacher back in the 90's.
The rotary dial makes it an cinch to see all the aperture options in one go.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »
Perfect for both indoor and outdoor shots. It was the meter of choice for my photo teacher back in the 90's.

Here's the Norwood next to the meter that I replaced it with recently, the Sekonic L-398. As Francois notes, it's one of those classic designs, like the Porsche 911, that's timeless. Don Norwood was a genius in developing the incident dome and basic concept for the meter, and whoever the industrial designer was, he/she did their job admirably on the ergonomics. Other than updates in shutter speed, aperture, and ISO range, there's been little change over the 70 years that this meter has been in production.

I bought the Norwood during my last year of film school in 19 (cough, cough) 76 and used it up to last year, when I found that I could no longer easily read the numbers at the bottom of the dial (damn presbyopia). It seems to read about a stop slower than the Sekonic. With the holidays upcoming, it could be the ideal gift for the next-generation filmwaster who's learning the arts of additive and subtractive lighting.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2017, 05:33:02 PM »

Here's the Norwood next to the meter that I replaced it with recently, the Sekonic L-398. As Francois notes, it's one of those classic designs, like the Porsche 911, that's timeless. Don Norwood was a genius in developing the incident dome and basic concept for the meter, and whoever the industrial designer was, he/she did their job admirably on the ergonomics. Other than updates in shutter speed, aperture, and ISO range, there's been little change over the 70 years that this meter has been in production.

I bought the Norwood during my last year of film school in 19 (cough, cough) 76 and used it up to last year, when I found that I could no longer easily read the numbers at the bottom of the dial (damn presbyopia). It seems to read about a stop slower(**) than the Sekonic. With the holidays upcoming, it could be the ideal gift for the next-generation filmwaster who's learning the arts of additive and subtractive lighting.

(**) Update: I compared the Norwood to incident readings with my other, newer meters:

@ ISO 400

- Norwood: 1/400 @ F14
- Minolta Flashmeter III: 1/500 @ f11.7
- Gossen LunaPro SBC: 1/500 @ f16

I haven't calibrated either the Norwood or Sekonic before, so based on the readings from the other meters, it's possible that the Sekonic is the one that's a bit fast.

Update 2: I had forgotten that I have the manual for the meter as well, which provides somewhat in a mini-lesson in lighting control.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:50:00 PM by EarlJam »

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »
Hmm. Looks like the Norwood meter heads back to its bin in the closet. In its place, I'll offer up some film; your choice of:

35mm
(2) Velvia 50, 36 exp; expired 12/2016 but in the freezer for the past year and a half
(1) Portra 160, 36 exp; in date
(1) TMAX 100, 36 exp; in date

OR

(2) Portra 400; in date (so far my favorite color negative, particularly with the Hasselblad; really pops with Zeiss glass)
(2) TMAX 400; in date
      - Alternately, I also have some Acros 100 in the freezer
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:44:25 PM by EarlJam »

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »
Hi Earl,

I'll take the 35mm film. PM sent.

I'm putting up my contribution, shortly.

Thanks!
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2017, 09:29:01 PM »
Alright,

So since I'm grabbing Earl's 35mm film (I've always wanted to try some Velvia 50), this is my contribution:

A Fujica Compact 35:

The camera works fine. Sometimes the film advance mechanism feels a bit rough. The meter works when the aperture is set to "A". It goes up to 200 ASA. The camera will need a bit of cleaning, especially the hot shoe. I haven't really had much time (or the intention) to completely clean it out since I haven't really been a fan of zone focusing. The indicators in the viewfinder are helpful, however, shooting with 100 ASA film at F8 indoors/low light (most of my shooting) it's just not good enough.

Thanks!

Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »
Come on, lets get this thing moving!
The Fujica 35 is a robust little camera that just like the Trip 35, doesn't need batteries.
But as a bonus, you have a real film winder and not just a thumb wheel.
Spec wise, they are pretty similar.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »
Ok, time for another round!
Who has something else to propose?
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
I'll throw up a couple rolls of 110. Fresh or freshly expired lomography color films. I think I have a couple tiger or peacock films left in the freezer.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »
Yippy! And we're off to a new start!  ;D

Wouldn't any of our 110 film users love to add a nice stocking stuffer like that for cheap?

Those are two unusual emulsions that definitely deserve to be experimented with.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
Looks like we don't have a taker for the 110.
Anybody up for another round of should we call it done for the year?
Francois

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
A Yashica 35W! Fine, yet basic 35mm rangefinder with a great lens.

It is a bit poorly. Shutter fires at all speeds, BUT there is a delay, and sometimes you have to press the release a couple of times. I think it is some dried grease.