Author Topic: Film is still alive in Honolulu!  (Read 1682 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Film is still alive in Honolulu!
« on: October 12, 2017, 07:46:54 AM »
I’m currently working on the island of Oahu, Hawaii and finally got a day off to be a tourist.  A friend of mine in Seattle was part owner of a record store here so I went into Honolulu today to check it out.  He recently sold his share of the store to his partner since he is staying in Seattle full time now.  This is the store: [http://hungryear.comhttp://hungryear.com[/url]. They just moved to a new location in the heart of downtown. 

To my surprise there’s a camera store next door that deals almost exclusively in film.  I packed 5 rolls of film thinking it would be hard to find other than the occasional roll of Fujifilm 400 at the drugstore.  They had a pretty good selection of 135, 120, Polaroid, Instax, bulk film and disposable cameras.  They had color, Velvia slide film, black and white, Kodak, Fuji, Cinestill, Ilford, Fuji FP100-C...  They also had a nice selection of cameras including several Canon AE-1’s, a nice looking Leica M3, and 3 different Nikonos underwater cameras.  The young Hawaiian girl behind the counter was quite knowledgeable about what she was selling and seemed genuinely excited about talking about it.  As you can see from the photo they also listen to records on a record player purchased next door.  This is a link to the stores web site: http://treehouse-shop.com/.  There's also a photo lab that's still in business here https://www.hawaiipacificphoto.net/.  It's nice to see a store that is dedicated to film unlike the rare camera stores that sells it off in the corner as a small side business. 

Selling film was a big deal in Hawaii, Kodak invested a lot into marketing to tourists here.  If you haven’t heard of the Kodak hula shows it’s a part of Hawaiian history.  http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=ig.page&PageID=493. Google the Kodak hula show and you’ll find plenty of old photos and 8mm and Super 8 movies.  They held the show during daylight so people could photograph it with lots of bright colors that screamed for Kodachrome. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Film is still alive in Honolulu!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
Looks like a Sansui 771 receiver and a Pro-ject Tube Box SE II valve preamp sat on top.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »
And a vintage time-o-lite next to the Kodak sign on the left.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
And a yashica 44 LM on the top shelf. Wonder if they stock 127 film?

10 points if you can identify the album being played...
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 04:12:58 PM »
And a yashica 44 LM on the top shelf. Wonder if they stock 127 film?

You’re right about the Reciever and pre-amp.  I wont say what record it is since I was there and I know that record quite well.  I didn’t see any 127 film which would have to be Rera Pan in the Little black tubes.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
Jimi Hendricks "Smash Hits"

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »
Jimi Hendricks "Smash Hits"

I think you're right, Becky - that's the album I had in mind....?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »
Jimmy Hendrix Experience: Smash Hits
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:20:55 PM »
I think Becky gets the points.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:59 PM »
Definitely :)
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 06:29:06 AM »
100% Becky's

That was the first Hendrix album I owned. Bought it from a market stall.  I'd listened to many of my friend's brother's Hendrix albums and I still love his music today. I always wonder how different the current music scene would have been if he'd still been around.