Author Topic: Barcelona 1-O  (Read 5881 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Barcelona 1-O
« on: October 08, 2017, 12:36:25 AM »
I happened to be in Barcelona for the referendum and aftermath. This first set is a group of teenagers and young adults protesting outside the local Guardia Civil station for police violence against voters the day before

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:20:55 AM by hookstrapped »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
Re: Barcelona 1-O
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »
These are shots from the following day, a general strike

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:12:19 PM »
Impressive documents, the 2nd from the 1st set is epic.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:36:47 AM »
Thanks

Here is a gif from the morning of the independence referendum, where people waited outside schools not knowing if they would be allowed to vote.

I was impressed by the act of mass civil disobedience, but I hope the pro-independence Catalans and Spanish government are willing to talk

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:57:16 AM »

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »
Hello.

I'm spanish. I was born in a small village in the province of Valencia.
I beg all of you to leave the subject. The pictures are fine but, please do not enter into the political background.
Why ???
Well, there many spanish photographers here. I guess that most of them are in favor of what hookstrapped called "mass civil disobedience", so, I may be alone against the main claim of the groups behind this coup: Spains has never been against one of its richest and prosperous regions, Catalonia. Spanish goverment is not authoritarian, no if we compare it with the regional goverment of catalonia.

I'll stop here. Hope to stop here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/08/catalonia-demo-injuries-fact-checking

I'm happy here but I'm really worried, very worried for my family, the people here, my country.
Please, don't talk about you don't know. I try to avoid it.

Cheers
Antonio

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:45 AM »
I can’t see anyone else making clear political statements Antonio. Just interesting photos.
L.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:32:52 AM »
I can’t see anyone else making clear political statements Antonio. Just interesting photos.

Hi, Leon.
Nice to meet you.
So, "on time".

Thank you.

Cheers.
Antonio

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »
I am Catalan. I was in Valencia this weekend and I was able to discuss the issue with no incidents with other people that did not think as I do.

By the way Antonio in your comment you produce some political statements, ¨Spanish goverment is not authoritarian, no if we compare it with the regional goverment of catalonia¨...   :P

Carlos.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:19 AM »
I am Catalan. I was in Valencia this weekend and I was able to discuss the issue with no incidents with other people that did not think as I do.

By the way Antonio in your comment you produce some political statements, ¨Spanish goverment is not authoritarian, no if we compare it with the regional goverment of catalonia¨...   :P

Carlos.

Hi,

You're ok, like "mass civil disobedience" ... whith any implications that anyone can imagine.

I'm just simply TIRED, SAD and, yes, a bit ANGRY of the regional goverment propanganda.

That said ... I'll be glad to be banned.

Bye

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »
I didn't mean to offend. I was in Barcelona only Friday-Tuesday, a time when the pro-independence folks showed their strength. The most recent weekend showed the strength of those who want to remain a part of Spain.

In the Medium piece I document what I observed, including how much of the city seemed oblivious to the referendum and marches, those who quietly oppose a rupture with Spain. I don't mean to represent more than my limited subjective view, and the sense I tried to make of it with the help of news stories. I think just posting the pics gives it the false veneer of documentary whereas it's much more limited and subjective.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »
I'm not judging but watching. Watching is important. Looking away is no solution. There is never only one truth. Thank you.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 01:44:39 PM »
I didn't mean to offend. I was in Barcelona only Friday-Tuesday, a time when the pro-independence folks showed their strength. The most recent weekend showed the strength of those who want to remain a part of Spain.

In the Medium piece I document what I observed, including how much of the city seemed oblivious to the referendum and marches, those who quietly oppose a rupture with Spain. I don't mean to represent more than my limited subjective view, and the sense I tried to make of it with the help of news stories. I think just posting the pics gives it the false veneer of documentary whereas it's much more limited and subjective.
Hi,
I didn't feel offended by your photos and your comments, belive me. I know that most of the comments I've read in forums, facebook or twitter are well intentioned but also most of them are badly informed.
I didn't mean to offend anybody here.  I appreciate this forum a lot and this, of course, includes its members!!!
But, please, just imagine: I'm the father of three ... I've worked a lot to give them a path to a nicer future, even nicer than my own present I mean! I'm a realistic guy ... with many dreams, I guess. And old "whig" in the (for me) best tradition. I hope.

Thank  you.
Cheers

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
I'm not judging but watching. Watching is important. Looking away is no solution. There is never only one truth. Thank you.
Sorry, Reinhold, but you are wrong at least in this case. Believe me. In this case, it's been very difficult to hear or read the truth. Until last sunday. Looking away is not solution. I've not said that. Watch and look but many time there is olny one truh. Moral is not mathmatics. Neither is suffering or pain. Peace ...

I'm not looking away, I'm tired of that ... that was what make easier for the "bad guys" to win.

Anyway, enough for me.

I don't know any of you, I just love photography ... your work here. I don't judge what I don't know.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »

Hi, Leon.
Nice to meet you.
So, "on time".

Thank you.

Cheers.
Antonio

Pleased to meet you too Antonio.

One request, can you please stop reporting your own comments for moderation? There is no need for this, and having reviewed the other comments in the thread, I can see no reason for moderation.

Thank you.
L.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »
One request, can you please stop reporting your own comments for moderation? There is no need for this, and having reviewed the other comments in the thread, I can see no reason for moderation.

Thank you.
Hi.
Ok, I was reporting myself :-) ... no anybody else.
Thank you for the confidentiality, although, as I've said, I didn't intend to report about anybody except me! Sorry if I didn't explain it

Cheers
Antonio

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »
Why would you report yourself?
L.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »
Sorry, but can this discussion occur over PM instead of in the thread? Thanks

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »

Not really  - i was being dragged into entirely unjustified personal attack on PM. Something I didn't want to engage with. Better off in public. But I take your point that it isn't relevant to your pictures. I'll crawl back under the rock that I crept out from.
L.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »

Not really  - i was being dragged into entirely unjustified personal attack on PM. Something I didn't want to engage with. Better off in public. But I take your point that it isn't relevant to your pictures. I'll crawl back under the rock that I crept out from.

WHAAAAT???? Do you suggest that I was attacking you on PM. Perhaps my english is very bad because what I was doing was to inform you about my own behaviour here in case you consider it neccessary to moderate ME.
Sorry hookstrapped, everybody, please. I didn't mean this nonsense ... it's only that my country maybe at the edge of a serious civil strife.

Thank you very much everybody.
I'll miss many of you.

Un abrazo,
Antonio

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »
Antonio, it seems that at least for now, the Catalan government has stepped back from the brink. I hope there will be talks. I can't imagine how difficult these days are for you and all your countrymen. Cheers

-Peter