Author Topic: Nasa and Nikon  (Read 1428 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Nasa and Nikon
« on: October 04, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
This is definitely a must read for all those who love space and cameras!
From the early days of the space program, NASA has been using some heavily modified Nikon cameras.
And when you look at these, you quickly realize that rocket science is definitely more complicated than we can imagine.
Who knew electronic flashes don't work in space!

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/03/nikon-cameras-used-nasa
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Nasa and Nikon
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
I knew they used Hasselblad cameras, especially in the early missions, but I didn't realize they used Nikon cameras.  It sounds like a lot went into them, I always figured they just bought one at the local camera shop.

https://petapixel.com/2013/08/03/want-to-own-your-own-nasa-hasselblad-moon-camera/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 04:47:05 PM »
I need to brush up on my sewing skills and start making ugly camera covers.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:05:20 PM »
Back in 1983 I got involved in the first Spacelab payload project launched on STS-9. The company I worked for then had some patient (astronaut) monitoring equipment on board. It was heavily modifed for the flight and I remember months of preparation going into it. I never found out if they learnt anything from it though.

NASA also insisted on having an engineer (me) present at Houston for the duration of the flight and I had to be on site at the Johnson Space Centre whenever the equipment was used which always seemed to be the middle of the night. I did get to go out to Edwards AFB for the landing and met the astronauts though. Just one of those once in a lifetime moments.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:30:13 PM »
I need to brush up on my sewing skills and start making ugly camera covers.

;D ;D ;D  You'll need a lot of practice to surpass those! Maybe you can make one for my Leningrad, the first camera type to be used in any manned space flight.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »
I also didn't know the EVA covers were so expensive!
Heck, I could make a look alike using an old painter's tarp for pennies on the dollar  ;D
Francois

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
Back in 1983 I got involved in the first Spacelab payload project launched on STS-9. The company I worked for then had some patient (astronaut) monitoring equipment on board. It was heavily modifed for the flight and I remember months of preparation going into it. I never found out if they learnt anything from it though.

NASA also insisted on having an engineer (me) present at Houston for the duration of the flight and I had to be on site at the Johnson Space Centre whenever the equipment was used which always seemed to be the middle of the night. I did get to go out to Edwards AFB for the landing and met the astronauts though. Just one of those once in a lifetime moments.

That's very impressive Peter. If I'd have done that, that would be the second thing I'd tell people when I meet them. "Hello I'm Nigel, did you know I once ....."  8)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »
Yeah, I just live within a few kilometers from the Canadian Space Agency and like to say that I've visited the place once...
And I also gave an idea to one of the engineers who was working on Canada Arm and they used it...
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:54:06 AM »

Actually, thinking back (it was a long time ago), the equipment wasn't modified very much though they did make their own cases much like those for the cameras. It was for a later mission that we did some major modifications to the gear. But I didn't get to go on that one.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."