Author Topic: Autumn Leaves the Door Open  (Read 3338 times)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
Autumn Leaves the Door Open
« on: September 23, 2017, 07:04:41 PM »
It's an old chestnut of sorts, but the day we planned to go to the Forest of Dean last year and didn't go turned out to be a weekend of the best colour and a day of good weather.  I know, 'cos a local friend took some viewful shots of reds and browns around Symonds Yat that very morning.

Saturday 4th November, if anyone wants to pencil it in - as always, subject to weather and other commitments, but at least I'm confident about the target date.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMb7qtFlVt7/?taken-by=stellaelphick

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMb8XIllN__/?taken-by=stellaelphick

Leave a note of interest here ...

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Autumn Leaves the Door Open
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »
Interest noted.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
I was in for it last year so I can't see why I wont be around this year :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »
Need to check with Mrs LD but please count us in, at least provisionally......
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »
I'd like that. And it could be the last weekend out for my campervan before winter.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »
Just bumping this up.

If anyone is thinking of staying in the area then probably should book asap as it seems busy. We've booked into an hotel in Symonds Yat but our usual place was almost fully booked.

Colour in the area is still pretty green but starting to change. Not as far advanced as it is around here (Oxfordshire). Weather's not looking great at the moment. Let's hope they've got it wrong.

I'm suggesting Ye Old Ferrie Inn for lunch. If the foot ferry is running you can get to it from the Rock side but if it's not, it's a short drive around.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »
The Old Ferry for lunch sounds good.  I've only had coffee there but it does get busy, which is a good sign.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
I hope there's still some leaves left after the winds we've had.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
I just looked out at the woodland across the valley and the trees are still full.  Presumably they haven't turned enough yet to be vulnerable to the wind.  But fingers crossed we don't get more storms like that.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
Less than a week to go so maybe we should firm up some plans?

Last year we decided to meet at 10.00 at the log cabin (I think) at Symonds Yat and I don't see any reason to change that. The cabin opens at 10.00, apparantly. It does tea and coffees etc but note that there's only outdoor seating. It only takes cash as well so come with a stuffed wallet.

The car park charges have gone up since last year. Now £5 for the day. Cash only again and coins only, I think, so bring some pound coins. There's toilets at the car park. The cabin is up the track towards the rock.

Weather could be anything. Everytime I check it's something different.

Mrs R and I will be in the area from Thursday so I thought I could post a condition report on Friday in case anyone wants to opt out if there's no leaves left, they're still green, there's a foot of mud or Symonds Yat has disappeared off the face of the earth.

Here's a map if anyone needs it and the nearest postcode for sat navs is GL16 7NZ
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:00:34 PM by PeterR »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »
That sounds good.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  We're still up for this so we'll be keeping a watchful eye out for the forecast.

As things stand, the forecast for 4th November is 9 degrees celsius, AM light rain (80% chance of precipitation) but, hopefully, that will improve.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
Early condition report....

It's green.

At least, a quick look at the woods around Symonds Yat gave me that impression. On the other hand, other areas in the Forest are brilliant and, I would say, at their peak.

So do we go somewhere else? We'll have a better look around Symonds Yat tomorrow and I'll update things here.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »
I'm also still keen although I have a stinker of a head cold at the moment but I will try and struggle through and make it to wherever you decide is the best area.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
Early condition report....

It's green.

At least, a quick look at the woods around Symonds Yat gave me that impression. On the other hand, other areas in the Forest are brilliant and, I would say, at their peak.

So do we go somewhere else? We'll have a better look around Symonds Yat tomorrow and I'll update things here.

Peter, I'm more in favour of sticking with the original location as (a) you're already there and (b) if there's somewhere we know is at its peak, colour-wise, why risk heading to somewhere that might not be?  However, I'm happy to go with the majority if another venue is preferred.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 06:41:47 AM »
The forecast has improved (as of this morning).  According to weather.com's hourly predictor, early morning will be cloudy with a 5% chance of rain and improving from about 10:00.  Consequently, we'll be heading over.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 11:20:07 AM »
Yep, the weather looks quite good, particularly in the pm.  I'll probably be there by 11.00 but will text.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
Another update....

Bit later than I intended but couldn't get a signal earlier.

On that note, be aware phone signals around here are poor. I couldn't get a signal at all when at the rock this morning.

Colour is OK around Symonds Yat but patchy. Some areas are still green, others have lost their leaves completely. But It's as good as anywhere to meet up so  I'll be at the tea hut by 10 or there abouts. We can decide whether to move somewhere else later. The other area which I think is better is about a 20 minute drive away but we went there later today and the colour is very good. All we need is some sun.

See you tomorrow.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
I am still all bunged up, so I'm sorry to say going to give it a miss tomorrow. Hope you all have a good fruitful day and I'll look forward to seeing your shots.

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »
Hello folks.

I have had a flat tyre, and no spare. New cars don't have them apparently. Have only just got it sorted.

Sorry. I will have to give it a miss. Hope we can do something on the future.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »
Hello folks.

I have had a flat tyre, and no spare. New cars don't have them apparently. Have only just got it sorted.

Sorry. I will have to give it a miss. Hope we can do something on the future.

Sorry to hear that Chris. Not a bad day in the end. More sun than I expected. There'll be another meet for sure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:49:39 PM by PeterR »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »
Yup, it was good.   I'm looking forward to some abstract pinholes.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 09:33:26 AM »
Irv - Sorry you were poorly but hope you're soon feeling better
Chris - Sorry you couldn't make it as well. I've had that happen and I know how frustrating it is.

Lara and I really enjoyed the day.  VERY wet en-route in the morning but brightened up once we arrived and beautiful late-year sunshine as the day grew on. If only my SWC has behaved itself  >:( better.  Still, should get something (and I'd prepared - had d*g*tal back up)  ::)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 04:23:56 PM »
I finally got the film processed I shot on the day. These are lab scans fiddled a bit by me. Ektar. Contax S2 with 35mm and 85mm lenses.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »
That's a rare capture, Peter.  I particularly like #2 and #3.  Worth waiting for.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 02:38:06 PM »
I like that 4th one, great colors and it looks like a beitiful place.