Author Topic: Sticky shutter/blank frame olympus Pen D  (Read 1156 times)

chris667

• Peel Apart
Sticky shutter/blank frame olympus Pen D
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:08:12 AM »
Hello

I finally managed to acquire one of these. There is something about the half-frame format that really appeals.

The camera works, sort of.

The shutter sticks open at the lowest speeds, and sometimes when winding on it is as if the shutter cocks, but doesn't do anything so you have to wind on again and miss a frame.

Do you think it's fixable, or should I look for a better one?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Sticky shutter/blank frame olympus Pen D
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »
Sounds like it needs a shutter service but I've never worked on one so don't know how easy it is. A quick google suggests it's a common problem.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
The Copal X is not a difficult shutter to service. There's a tiny ball bearing for one of the detents that is easily lost, so you need to be careful about that, but the rest is straightforward. My D3 had similar issues when I got it.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 04:03:12 PM »
I have a lot of projects already, so I regrettably sent it back to the seller.

However, as a silver lining, I went to a charity shop today, and found a Yashica 72E! A bit grubby, desperately in need of new light seals, but all seemingly working as it should. £2 changed hands, and it was mine!

I know it is probably a lesser camera than the Olympus, and the lens is a stop slower, but for the price I am very happy.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »
The price is really good, congratulations to your find. :) I like a lot of the old Yashicas. I own a Yashica Electro 35 GSN which is fantastic. The 72E must be an excellent travel camera due to its size and the amount of shots that fit onto one film. What film are you planning to use with it? Something with fine grain to compensate for the half frame or are you aiming for the grainier look that you get with half frame?

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 07:35:01 PM »
XP2, mostly.

I have a longer-term project involving making tiny books of photographs. It will be perfect for those.