Author Topic: One Roll - 090917 - Post your images here  (Read 5842 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
One Roll - 090917 - Post your images here
« on: September 10, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
Hi folks, post your 'One Roll' images here.

It would be great if you could leave some details about where you shot. Whether you went into the day with a plan and whether that plan was realised? Did the restriction of one roll (those who stuck to it) help you to be more creative? Any thoughts about doing again in a few months, should there be a theme?

thanks
Nigel

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: One Roll - 090917 - Post your images here
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 02:17:54 PM »
Mrs R and I intended to start from Covent Garden but, due to various tube lines not running, by the time we got to Picadilly Circus we couldn't face getting on another tube and just went for coffee and cake. So we started from China Town instead. We had a planned route and pretty much stuck to it but the only image I thought about in advance was the first one. Other than that the plan was to shoot whatever I saw at the time.

I used my baby Rollei with Rera Pan. 12 shots on the roll but I only got to use 10. So here they are in the order I took them.

China Town. I had this shot in mind before hand but it hasn't worked that well due to the reflections.

Not sure what it was this guy was preparing but he'd conveniently positioned himself next to the waste bin where he was throwing the bits he didn't want. Looks like he's done this many times before.

We moved on through Soho and into Carnaby Street where the only thing I could find to shoot was the sign.

We went into Liberty. This is the chandeliers in one of the atriums.

And the front of the building (boring, I know).

After lunch we headed back to Picadilly Circus to get the tube. I shot this on the way. Just an interesting combination of buildings I thought.

I managed three more in Picadilly Circus where most people were too interested in themselves to notice me, though this girl did give me a glance.

And one on the tube on the way home. Acton.

Not sure about doing it again in a few months. Not in London anyway. If others are up for it I would probably go shoot a roll around Oxford.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:23:19 PM by PeterR »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 03:46:45 PM »
In Longueuil, we have an historic central road that separates the east and west end of the town, so I started there going west since that's pretty much where the nicest things are.
Here they are in order. A few duds are included.
These were taken around Saint-Laurent and Grant street.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
Many of these were taken near the public library on Saint-Laurent (the street portraits) and at the old Anglican church on Saint-Charles.
It was my first time trying to take people photos on the street and I was surprised to see that when people are in their own bubble, they really don't notice you even with a plastic Diana that goes crick and click!
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
And now for the rest...
I was getting near the bridge, a part of town that is much less interesting. But there was this large mural that the city commissioned to cover a ton of graffiti and throw-ups that were there. Didn't last long 'cause some idiot went back and put his tag back erasing part of the image...
These are the leftovers. Only 15 images total since I missed frame 1 when winding on.

Would I do this again? Probably. Granted it's much less fun in the winter and the wind freezes you to the bone...
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »
Wow! Cool!

I think mine were not so great, but I had a ton of fun and plan to do this again sometime as it really made me think differently about making photos and walking around with no options except what I had in my hands.
Very liberating!!!

I used a Holga converted to pinhole with some old Pan F.

My photos are here:

http://theholgadamnthing.blogspot.com/

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »
These are great. I love Peter's shot of Eros, it almost looks as though people are piled up around the base.

François, I really like the look from your Diana. I'm a real sucker for a house with a porch, shame we don't have those here.

My roll was Portra 400 which I don't process myself, but it went in the post today, so I should hopefully get them back later this week.

website

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 08:34:16 PM »
In going to Cardiff I knew where I'd be shooting and the general nature of the buildings, but what remains always unpredictable is how the weather will behave and who you might encounter around and about.  I was carrying the 8-shot Soho Reflex I picked up in the spring, with its Ross Expres 120/4.5 lens. 

These women had just completed a 5k charity run through a muddy course in Bute Park - hence the name of the circuit ... Pretty Muddy.

170909_tx_04 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Not every shot was sharp as the moment you stop down it becomes tricky to frame your image.  So better not to stop down too much.  This character is one of the defenders of Cardiff Castle.

170909_tx_05 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

You never want to fire off the final frame when there's still the chance of coming across a worthwhile subject, but when you get to the end of the day you need to have something in mind.  This shot was planned from the beginning, if I didn't find anything else first.

170909_tx_08 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

First shot, slightly blurry as my thumb lingered against the shutter wind knob.

170909_tx_01 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Self-explanatory, I think.  Saturday business.

170909_tx_07 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

170909_tx_06 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

170909_tx_03 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Street Wetness

170909_tx_02 by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Tri-X in Rodinal.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:34:40 PM by Sandeha Lynch »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 09:38:49 PM »
François, I really like the look from your Diana. I'm a real sucker for a house with a porch, shame we don't have those here.
Thanks. Houses with a porch are definitely nice. And sadly they don't make them anymore. You either get a cookie cutter loaf size imitation Victorian house, condos or 1960's Canadian Housing and Mortgage designed house... they used to make plan books which got sold cheap to pretty much all the promoters, hence you can go pretty much anywhere in the province and still get that sense of déjà-vu.

I must admit that that Diana really surprised me in many ways! I really wasn't expecting so much blur. Let just say it's much more pronounced than on the cameras from Lomography.
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
I took 12 shots & having them lab processed. I'm away for the rest of the week, so hope to post them next weekend.

It was a good day and an interesting exercise - I planned my shots in advance. It would be great to do it again, either in London or Oxford. Just one problem - having seen PeterR's baby Rollei in the flesh (4x4 on 127), I so want one of those before the next meet!
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 08:08:44 PM »
With a combination of little time and utter laziness my roll is still in the fridge but I will get round to developing it most likely on Wednesday evening. Many thanks to Nigel for organising the day and I'll look forward to the next one wherever we do it.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »
Okay, here we go. I did struggle with this although it was a lot of fun and a real challenge. I managed 10 shots but had 2 fails  when I hit the shutter accidentally taking the camera out of the bag and one in-the-bag shot. I keep forgetting not to wind on between shots!
I had no plan and I didn't know the area so I went with what I like and what sums up a lot of the city, street art, every space used, the theatre etc.
Taken on a Mamiya C330 and HP5.
Would I do it again? Definately.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 10:10:34 PM »
and part 2, more of the same. The shot of the man happened when he approached me in Soho Square and, saying he needed money for the hostel, asked me if I would pay him for a picture. The last picture #10 was just to finish off the film and was a 90 second exposure in Bloomsbury Square. 3:30pm on a Saturday and not a soul!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 08:42:57 AM »
Harvey - I'm glad you enjoyed the day, I like them. What's really interesting is how few people there are about in London on a Saturday. I think mine will reflect the same.

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »
I love that picture with the dresses.
Somehow it makes me think of Atget.... Probably because of the old building.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
Many thanks to Nigel for organising this and it was great to meet up with fellow FWers Lara and I haven't seen for a while.

My roll is going in for processing this weekend but I'm not expecting much. Hasselblad at the ready, I got 11 planned shots and one accidental misfire - then, believing I'd rolled the film off the spool completely, I opened the back to find that I hadn't. Hopefully, the film was rolled tight enough not to lose the lot - but we'll see.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 09:39:26 PM »
Okay here are my 10 images from the Koni Omega Rapid in 6x7 format.
 The first was a screw up due to taking a meter reading then totally igmoring it before pressing the shutter- I guess it was the excitement of it all! After that apart from getting stopped by two security guards from taking a shot on a square called Regents place because it was private property apparently - although there wasn't any signs saying so the rest of my walk was uneventful

1 Awning outside University College Hospital
2 Steps railings and ridged pavement (I wanted people in the shot but they all kept moving out of the way)
3 Welcome Foundation staircase
4 I assume this was a favourite place of someone who recently passed away and this was their scarf and walking stick
5 I have a fascination for columns these are at the top of Regent street

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »
6 Lone vigil outside the chinese embassy against their human rights record. Some is there 24 hours a day 365 days a year but the authorities make them sit right across the dual carrigeway which sadly lessens the impact I think
7 I tried to catch the kitchen porter in a sliver of light  but the sun came out to brightly and has washed him out
8 The lovers embrace
9 In the middle of Covent Gdn 100s of people milling around yet no-one used this alley in the 10mins or so that I was sizing up this shot
10  More columns this time the British Museum

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
Irv - They're great. I love the staircase shot.

I had a great day. It was a long time since I shot the Hassy or used Portra, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy both. I still really struggle to nail the focus on portraits with the Hassy, but apart from that, it was all good.

The plan had been to shoot six architectural and six portraits. When I found the door to the Brunswick Centre open  8), that could have easily have gone by the board. With enough film, I'd have stayed in there all day.

This is part of UCL.

UCL, London
by Nigel Rumsey, on Flickr

The Brunswick Centre (and the guy who told me to bugger off!).

Brunswick Centre

Brunswick Centre

Brunswick Centre

Brunswick Centre

Brunswick Centre

Brunswick Centre

Then street portraits in Soho.

Erica

These guys were brilliant!

Tristan

Deo

A good model isn't necessarily about looks it's confidence. It's being able to stand in front of the camera and say 'I've got this'. This girl had it in spades.

Stranger street portrait

Stranger street portrait

website

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »
Yep it was a good day. Those portraits really do have attitude-great shots

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 12:43:23 AM »
Place where I get my processing done wasn'r processing today - so it'll be next week before I get anything on this board - assuming there's anything worth posting.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 06:43:53 AM »
Great photos everyone. I love the portraits, Nigel. I never dare to ask people on the street whether or not I may take their portrait. Kudos for your courage.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »
Great portraits Nigel, love that the subjects all seem to be showing themselves and not playing to the camera.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 07:57:48 PM »
Great portraits Nigel, love that the subjects all seem to be showing themselves and not playing to the camera.

Thanks Harvey, probably more luck than any skill on the part of the photographer!

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »
Seems we're still a couple of sets missing (drums fingers)...
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
Nigel, liking the second one, and what a great place..

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
I've added my other five to my post above.  I wasn't too happy with them at first but the last one sort of grows on you a bit.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 05:34:22 PM »
Where do I start? That's a GREAT collection of photos and I think it's worked better that it's not all London.  I'm not even going to try to pick any favourites but give a very well deserved hats off to all of those who've contributed so brilliantly.

My day was a bit of a disaster. A misfire cost me 1/12th of my roll and then I thought opening a partly rewound A12 back had cost me the lot.  By some fluke, I seem to have managed to get the film back in the back with little serious impact.  One shot was lost.  One crop (the bargain buckets) was the only usable shot where the light got to the film. Anyway, here goes 10 out of 12 isn't a bad result, in the circumstances.  The rest are in the next upload:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:37:44 PM by Late Developer »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
....and the rest: