Author Topic: My 10-year anniversary  (Read 1310 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
My 10-year anniversary
« on: September 07, 2017, 02:47:19 PM »
It's been 10 years since I picked up a camera, after an absence of about 20 years. I re-started my photography with Diana cameras, which is how I ended up here via that toy camera site...

filmwasters (you all and this site) have made the trip all the more enjoyable and interesting.

Thanks!!

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: My 10-year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
Well done, congratulations! I was away from 'serious' photography for many years too; marriage, kids, the usual stuff. I'm so glad that I found my way back.
How will you celebrate, a Diana-shaped cake perhaps?  :P Show us a picture if you do.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »
We're happy to have helped :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »
It's been 10 years since I picked up a camera, after an absence of about 20 years.
Congrats, my 10-years anniversary after a long break will be next year. I guess it was "a long and winding road" as mine?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:27:06 PM »
Wait, so you'd only been shooting for 3 years before you roped me into it? :o We won't tell the good folks here that I started on d*****l before finally seeing the light (see what I did there? ;D ) and shooting film about 5 years ago :D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:40:07 PM »
I've been back into film for about 7 years now.  I really tried to make the digital thing work but it never got me excited about photography.  My wife got me back into film out of nostalgia.  It was about the time her father passed away and her mother was starting to have problems.  She asked me to shoot some 8mm film around her old home to go with her childhood movies that were shot on Super 8.  I borrowed my fathers old Bell and Howell double 8mm camera for that and purchased a projector to watch the movies on.  Then she asked me to shoot some View-Master film to continue what her grandfather did from 1954 until he passed away in the 1980's.   Her entire childhood is documented on View-Master reels and now a good part of her adult life.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
I didn't know so many of us had similar long-term absences and returns. Cool!

and View-Master film and cameras? :chinscratchy:

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
Wait, so you'd only been shooting for 3 years before you roped me into it? :o We won't tell the good folks here that I started on d*****l before finally seeing the light (see what I did there? ;D ) and shooting film about 5 years ago :D

Yup, it was from seeing Scott (KWC) posting a Holga photo on xhcfx that inspired me to check out toy cameras and one thing led to another

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »
Congratulations !!! My "break" was longer althought I think I was just a "camera user" just to say ;-)

Un abrazo.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:12 PM »
I was also thinking about an anniversary, and it's sort of related.  In the autumn of 1997 I got my first home internet account with the groundbreaking speed of 28 Kbps, and on a test yesterday I found I am now getting 20.1 Mbps here.  And it was groundbreaking then as they also got a scanner where I worked and I was able to post my pics online for the first time - which started a big ball rolling. 

Where would we be without the web?  Just stuck in our own little corners of the world, no doubt with prints lying unseen in boxes.  I, for one, am really glad to be able to see everyone else's work, but the sharing also seems to make the striving more worthwhile.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:32:34 PM »
I first got on the internet when it was still in its infancy... HTML pages were strictly static, forums didn't exist but we had usenet groups, FTP was king, there was no spam, everything was accessed using a dumb terminal on a server. We accessed the web using Lynx (https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/lynx-portable) before NCSA released Mosaic....

I can't believe I've had a web presence for 25 years!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.