Author Topic: Buyer beware!  (Read 871 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Buyer beware!
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:31:22 PM »
There could be a flood of "lightly used" equipment coming to a list or auction site near you.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/09/rental-camera-gear-destroyed-by-the-solar-eclipse-of-2017/
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Buyer beware!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:47:14 AM »
It's hard to believe with all the instructions and warnings about photographing and viewing the eclipse before it happened, some people just don't pay attention.  I watched someone melt their brand new telescope once so I'm very careful about pointing anything at the sun. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:26:27 PM »
Somehow I feel that on average people are either dumb or ignorant.
I remember when I was a kid in primary school, we had a partial solar eclipse about an hour before dinner time. In all their wisdom, the teachers sent us all home early telling us to go home and "but don't look at the sun, eclipses are dangerous". Like expected, there were a few who stared at the sun who got permanent eye damage.... But keeping us inside the school like usual would have prevented this....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:01:49 AM »
We had an eclipse in about 2000. For very little money I bought an eclipse filter for my lens. No idea if it worked. It was a cloudy day. I live in the UK
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Pupperpow

• 35mm
    • 5 dirty talk lines
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »
Yikes. I'm not sure why people don't think that if you need proper gear to look at it with your eyes you wouldn't need to take the same precautions with a camera. It's effectively just an extension of your eyes in a still frame.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
And with a camera it's worst because of the magnification.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.