Author Topic: Blotches on film  (Read 794 times)

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
Blotches on film
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
Sorry to post this (as I know it seems to come up alot on film forums).

I have a few rolls of 120 film that have been processed over the last couple of months. Most have been taken to my local lab, one was sent to Peak Imaging.

A couple of rolls seemed to show these blotches towards the end of the film, although the worst seems to have run right through every frame. My initial thought was that it was the processing (after reading various forums and finding similar issues), but I am less sure now, as the lab explained their process to me which sounds pretty water tight.

The film is in date and is stored in a map chest in a dry dark environment. And I have never noticed any dampness with any of the films. I am sure they have all been bone dry. My other thought is that maybe one of the film holders had some moisture in it, although again I have never seen any evidence of this.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edit: I am using a Mamiya 645 and I have two separate film holders.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:20:28 PM by lharby »
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Blotches on film
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »
To me it looks like some of the backing paper ink has stuck to the the film.... But others might have a better idea....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »
What kind of film is it? It looks like a problem with the emulsion to me. If it is Kodak, I would say QC is not a problem. If it is Cinestill, then I would be pretty sure that the manufacturer is to blame.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:36:19 PM »
Years ago, Shanghai had a similar issue with the ink, but it was the side with the numbers that was at fault so your photos would be permanently numbered...

Didn't Kodak have a problem with that maybe a year or two ago?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

lharby

• Hi
    • slackwise
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
Yeah it's Kodak Portra and probably bought a year ago/18 months. I have another 5 rolls in a separate batch. I hope those are ok
Everything should be tried once except incest and folk dancing.