Author Topic: Trip to Manchester and Lake District  (Read 3790 times)

Gimenosaiz

Trip to Manchester and Lake District
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
Hello!

As some of you know, I visited Manchester and Lake District a week ago.
From a spaniard point of view, at least from this spaniard point of view, UK is paradise ... an ever green country!!!
When we left Spain,  it was very hot althought dry: 37ºC.
Where I live, "la meseta", summers are always the same: dry and hot ... never green save in some places in the mountains or in the valleys or banks of the rivers.
Imagine:

(Horizon 202 : Foma 100 : Rodinal 1+50)

I finally carried a couple of film cameras: Rolleiflex 3.5f (BW) and Fuji GA645 (color).

In this first thread I'm showing some BW examples.
I've divided them in three groups, one for each journey of the trip!
I've shot much (much) less than I'd desired but the trip was a bit stressful and I'd few moment to use the cameras in a filmwaster-wise way/joy ;-). A pity.

Rolleiflex 3.5f : Kodak Tri-x : HC-110 (E)

FIRST - Dunham Massey. "Dunham Massey is a green oasis nestled between the urban sprawl of Manchester and rural tranquillity of Cheshire." RIGHT!!!!! Oaks like I've never seen before, meadows of supernatural green and well, some deers!!! I nearly forget it ... and the Swan with two nicks "the quintessential english country pub" RIGHT!!!. This wonderfull place is very close to my sister's home. It was a MUST!!!!

1. The pub.

2. Meadows and fences

3. The mill 1

4. The mill 2

SECOND - Lake Windermere "England's largest lake. Its name comes from the Scandinavian for 'lake of a man called Vinandr'.
Amazing beauty ... Oaks and some strange pines in the lake bank, those stone fences covered in dense moss, teletubbies-like meadows ummmmm. We arrived early so we could stroll in nearly total peacefulness ;-)
We spent the night in the YHA Windermere where we arrived before sunset to enjoy magnificent views of the valley.

1. The jetty at Wray Castle 1

2. The jetty at Wray Castle 2

3. The waters of the lake from the shore

4. Stone and moss fences

5. From Wray Castle ...

6. View from YHA

THIRD - Manchester. Just a few hour to visit some places in the city. I'd not many chances to shoot (rain, small kids, rain, shopping, rain) ... sorry for that, but I really enjoyed the visit. And Rosa gave me the Horizon 202 :-) ... Yes, we visited Real Camera shop in Dale Street! We also visited the Town Hall, Afflecks ... I liked Manchester center. I'd had liked to visit the docks in the channel as they look amazing from the tram!  Next time, I hope.

1. In Aflecks, "an emporium of eclecticism, a totem of indie commerce in Manchester’s Northern Quarter". RIGHT!! - My dad (looks tired, eh) and one of my nephews in the Cafe 3.

2. View of Church St. from Cafe 3

3. An alley close to Afflecks, while I waited for my wife to finish her shopping in a charity shop

4. Inside a little shopping center close to Afflecks

5. I'd really had loved to shoot much more photograhps of the streets surronding Church and Market St, but ... well :-) This is one of the few examples. I didn't see the car that ruined the view of the interior throught the windows but I still like the brick facade. Also sorry for having cut the frame of the windows ... Those streets deserve the attention of filmwasters!!!

Thank you!

Un abrazo,
Antonio
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:46:30 PM by Gimenosaiz »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Trip to Manchester and Lake District
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »
Fantastic, Antonio. Lovely photos.

I know all these places but live 250 miles away - so thank you for the trip down memory lane  :)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
Fantastic, Antonio. Lovely photos.

I know all these places but live 250 miles away - so thank you for the trip down memory lane  :)
Hello!
Thank you :-) My pleasure !!!!

Un abrazo
Antonio

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »
Great essay, Antonio, and I also love your Carrete album at flickr. Lake district seen with spanish eyes through a Rolleiflex on american film .... sparkling results. Beautiful processing with rich tones and contrast.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
Great essay, Antonio, and I also love your Carrete album at flickr. Lake district seen with spanish eyes through a Rolleiflex on american film .... sparkling results. Beautiful processing with rich tones and contrast.
Hello!
Thank you very much ;-) I'm very glad you liked it!!! These spanish eyes were thirsty of green and water!!! And the rest of the self hungry of film :-)

Cheers!
Antonio

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »
Really spectacular set, Antonio!

I love the one in the Café and the Wray Castle images.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
Antonio, I love the whole set, especially how the exposure is spot on in all of the shots. Good work, both technically and creatively. :)

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »
Really spectacular set, Antonio!

I love the one in the Café and the Wray Castle images.

Hi, Manuel!
Thank you very much. I'm very happy you like it !!!

Cheers!
Antonio

Antonio, I love the whole set, especially how the exposure is spot on in all of the shots. Good work, both technically and creatively. :)
Hello!!
You are very kind ! Thank you very much ... thank you!
I really enjoyed the Rolleiflex in this trip !!

Un abrazo
Antonio

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:26:59 PM »
That is a sweet picture of your father, sure he liked it  :)