Author Topic: All Knowledge Is Contained On Filmwasters (AKICOF)  (Read 1086 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
All Knowledge Is Contained On Filmwasters (AKICOF)
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
At the weekend I was using my Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F, and I really love that camera. Just the basic industrial design of the thing is perfect, and the controls are just perfectly laid out and totally intuitive that even though it was the second time I used the camera I instinctively knew how to use it.

I've got the f1.8 55mm SMC Takumar, and as I've got a bit of spare dosh these days I was thinking I really need to get a few  more lenses to go with it, so I was wondering if anyone had opinions on what lenses I should look for.  One decent wide, and one reasonable telephoto (say 135mm).

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: All Knowledge Is Contained On Filmwasters (AKICOF)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »
Since this is an M42 mount camera, you have choice galore!
I have an SMC Takumar 35mm that I use as a close-up contraption on my Nikon and I must say that the colors are very good. I know the lens is also very capable in the correct orientation ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »
Hello!

I've got a Spotmatic SP II. My favourite lens is the Takumar 50/1.4, but,regarding to your question I can recommend what I use:
- Moderate angular: Flektogon 35/2.4 -> Amazing sharpness and contrast. It has an impressive minimum distance of 19cm. I use it more in my Canon 6D than with de SP, but still a favourite for film. Contra: a little pricey, I think.
- Tele: Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 135/2.5 -> Again, amazing sharpness (even wide open) and contrast. I like its bokeh and the sense of volume ... Again: I uses it more in my 6D. Contra: again, a bit pricey and a bit heavy but easy to handle.

Saludos!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »
I had a Pentax S3 some years ago.  The 35mm f2.0 is fantastic, IMO. Not easy to find but worth the chase...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »
You might want to check this for fun http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/systems/c_15.html

Also, the Helios 44 lenses are good in a bad way :)
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 05:26:40 PM »
That's a SCARY list, must not cross-check it on the 'bay!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »
I'm always glad to help with those things  ;D
Francois

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »
My favourite camera, and the one I use over pretty much anything. From the first one I owned as a callow seventeen year old, it has always been my favourite. If it had a Leica badge, people would pay thousands for them.

My favourite lens is the Mir-1B 37/f2.8. Preset, so you have to remember to stop down. But being slowed down in that way is part of the reason I love it. You have to be mindful! I think 40mm would be the most useful focal length, like most rangefinders of the time had. But the Mir-1B is close enough.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:27:06 AM by chris667 »