Author Topic: More decisions, decisions :-)  (Read 1293 times)

Gimenosaiz

More decisions, decisions :-)
« on: August 05, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »
Hello!

Following the example of LateDeveloper I'm asking for your advice
He'll travel to Cyprus. Weather there is very similar to that of Madrid or Alicante !!
I'm going to Manchester and the Lake District.

The weather forecasts for those days is of a cold spring in Spain, he he. Rain with sunny spells during shor periods of time ... 18ºC/10ºC

So, my first decisión is about film:
- BW ISO 400 (pushed or not). I've got HP5, Bergger and Trix. I think I'll carry Trix.
- Color ISO 400: Portra 400 ... just medium format in case I carried one MF camera.

First choice:

** Medium format? I'm not sure yet. My choices would be:
1. Rolleicord Vb
2. Hapo 66-E
3. Fuji GA645
4. Bronica ECTL with 50/80 .... hehe

** 35mm
This choice is related to the digital cameras I'll carry: Ricoh GR (my wife camera) and Sony A7II with manual lenses adapters ;-)

1.a Leica M3 with Cron 50/2 DR and Nokton 21/4.5. The DR is a plus because I'd like to take some film close portraits of my nephews but ... well, is not mandatory. The DR is only usable with the M3.
1.b Bessa R3A with Nokton 40/1.4 and Nokton 21/4.5 or Nokton 50/1.5 and Nokton 21/4.5
2. Olympus OM-2 with 24/2.8 - 50/1.4 and 100/2.8
3. Olympus XA or Konica Hexar.

What do you think!!!

Thank you.
Cheers!
Antonio

PD: LateDeveloper thread:
http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9303.new#

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: More decisions, decisions :-)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
First question: when you're out and it rains, what do you do? Run for cover? Stay out but cover camera(s)? Pull camera out and start shooting? If you shoot in the rain, a few things to consider. TLRs and anything with a WLF sucks in the rain. Electronics do not like rain either.

If you're bringing the A7II, that plus 35mm plus MF is a lot to manage; I've done it, and it's a waste - everything takes twice as long and you end up with lots of duplication. Pick two, or even better one, and go with it.

If it were me, I'd bring the M3 and the R3A, 50mm on the former and 21mm on the latter. Color in one, B&W in the other. No lens changes, easy to manage. I used a similar setup in France last year (two Leica IIIs, 50mm on one 28mm on the other, HP5+ and Portra).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »
Hi!!!
First question: when you're out and it rains, what do you do? Run for cover? Stay out but cover camera(s)? Pull camera out and start shooting? If you shoot in the rain, a few things to consider. TLRs and anything with a WLF sucks in the rain. Electronics do not like rain either.
Ummm... Of course you are right about WLF and electronics in the rain!!!  I'm not going to use the cameras in the rain.
Weather is the main reason against MF because the other one, weight, makes me doubt about the Bronica ... so, WLF and electronics put don't advise the Vb and Fuji.

If you're bringing the A7II, that plus 35mm plus MF is a lot to manage; I've done it, and it's a waste - everything takes twice as long and you end up with lots of duplication. Pick two, or even better one, and go with it.

This would be the wisest choice! Digital is "mandatory" ...he he

If it were me, I'd bring the M3 and the R3A, 50mm on the former and 21mm on the latter. Color in one, B&W in the other. No lens changes, easy to manage. I used a similar setup in France last year (two Leica IIIs, 50mm on one 28mm on the other, HP5+ and Portra).

... as digital is mandatory I've thought a similar solution but changing the R3A for the Sony (color) and its 28/2 lens.
But ... if i Finally carry the GR your advice is perfect for my film appetite!!!
M3+DR-> HP5
Bessa-> Portra

... medium format at home ;-)

Cheers
Antonio

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
For the Lake District it might be nice to have something with a little longer lens. I regretted a bit taking only wide-normal lenses and cameras to the Peak District. The 16-35mm stayed in the bag the whole trip. I had a blast with the Rolleiflex though, so can recommend the Cord. Don't take too many lenses for the A7, you never use them all.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:07:22 PM »
That's easy ;) GA645 + XA. Super IQ + Super size. Forget about counterfactual thinking and shoooot!
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:14:01 AM »
Just a note about speed: when I was in merry olde a few weeks ago, I figured it'd be overcast and I'd probably be shooting at night anyways, so I rated my Tri-X at 800. Bad idea. First of all, sure it was overcast a lot, but it didn't rain all that much ( :o ) and remember, it's pretty far north there, so it stays light pretty late. 800 was way too fast, and my last couple of rolls I rated at 400 which believe it or not was STILL too fast :P So if you're shooting Tri-X, I'd recommend not pushing it at all, and bringing along at least a yellow filter, if not an orange as well. I was a complete idiot and brought no filters at all :'( (I mean, there's nothing wrong with f/16 all the time, is there? ??? )

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »
Welcome home to a rainy cold new world ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
For the Lake District it might be nice to have something with a little longer lens. I regretted a bit taking only wide-normal lenses and cameras to the Peak District. The 16-35mm stayed in the bag the whole trip. I had a blast with the Rolleiflex though, so can recommend the Cord. Don't take too many lenses for the A7, you never use them all.
Hello!
I think I'll follow your advice and I'll carry a longer lens, I mean longer than the Cron 50/2. Ummm ... But the only larger rangefinder lens I've got is the Canon 135/3.5 (LTM). Perhaps Askel is "half" right ;-)

Thank you!
Regards
Antonio

That's easy ;) GA645 + XA. Super IQ + Super size. Forget about counterfactual thinking and shoooot!
Hi!
Hahaha, I think you are "half" right ;-)
I think I'll carry the XA. Sure!!! Now I'm not sure about the Rolleicord ... so light, easy, mecanic ... cute ;-) The GA645 was my first idea to be honest!

Thanks

Cheers!
Antonio

Just a note about speed: when I was in merry olde a few weeks ago, I figured it'd be overcast and I'd probably be shooting at night anyways, so I rated my Tri-X at 800. Bad idea. First of all, sure it was overcast a lot, but it didn't rain all that much ( :o ) and remember, it's pretty far north there, so it stays light pretty late. 800 was way too fast, and my last couple of rolls I rated at 400 which believe it or not was STILL too fast :P So if you're shooting Tri-X, I'd recommend not pushing it at all, and bringing along at least a yellow filter, if not an orange as well. I was a complete idiot and brought no filters at all :'( (I mean, there's nothing wrong with f/16 all the time, is there? ??? )
Hi!

Thank you for your wise advice!! I'll try to shoot at ISO 400 ... I'll push just in case ;-)
I'll carry yellow, green and orange filters !!

Cheers!
Antonio

Welcome home to a rainy cold new world ;)
Hi!
Hahahaha ... YES, from sunny, dry and hot Spain to 18ºC/Rainy England!!!
Another universe!

Un abrazo
Antonio

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »
From the Visit Cumbria website:

"Seathwaite in Borrowdale (the wettest inhabited place in England) averages some 3,300 millimetres (130 in) of rain a year. Sprinkling Tarn is even wetter, recording over 5,000 millimetres (196 in) per year."

... bring some wellies.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 05:24:59 PM »
From the Visit Cumbria website:

"Seathwaite in Borrowdale (the wettest inhabited place in England) averages some 3,300 millimetres (130 in) of rain a year. Sprinkling Tarn is even wetter, recording over 5,000 millimetres (196 in) per year."

... bring some wellies.
OMGGGGGGG
I see I see

Thank you

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
Dear friend Antonio,

As always, you know that I would suggest you carry just one camera, film camera preferably, and enjoy the trip. I know you like taking photos a lot, and you will be able to do that with any type of camera. So my advise: one camera, colour (slide?), couple of lenses, mini tripod. That's it  :)

Other options suggest carrying weight, and that ain't cool...  8)

Have fun and come back with great photos as you use to do!!
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »
Dear friend Antonio,

As always, you know that I would suggest you carry just one camera, film camera preferably, and enjoy the trip. I know you like taking photos a lot, and you will be able to do that with any type of camera. So my advise: one camera, colour (slide?), couple of lenses, mini tripod. That's it  :)

Other options suggest carrying weight, and that ain't cool...  8)

Have fun and come back with great photos as you use to do!!

Dear Javier!!!

Hehehe, you know meeeeeeee ... I finally carried:
- Rolleiflex 3.5f (BW)
- Fuji GA645 (color)
---> Ricoh GR :-)

We enjoy a very nice weather but I didn't shot the many photos I'd like to ... It's been a bit stressful trip.
Anyway, I've developed the three BW rolls.

Thank you!!!
Cheers

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
Wish I'd seen this earlier - Manchester (well 6 miles south) is my home town.  Can be wet in Manchester in Summer but the Lakes are beautiful - even in the rain.

Hope you had a good time - despite the stress.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".