Author Topic: Decisions, decisions.....  (Read 1794 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Decisions, decisions.....
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:55:34 AM »
On Saturday (5th August) we fly to Cyprus for a week's holiday.  I'll be taking a digital camera but I'll lso be taking a film camera.  The options are:

1. Leica MP with either 28/50 or 35/90
2. Nikon F5 with 24/50
3. Hasselblad SWC
4. Rollei 35T (not 3.5 T)

I'll decide in film from what I have in the fridge.

We'll be staying near Paphos and visiting the old town and a few of the ancient monuments.

I will only be taking one of the options 1 to 4.

Which would you take? I don't mind the bag being heavy or light but I'm taking two cameras - maximum.

Three days to decide.....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Decisions, decisions.....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:14:44 AM »
I just did Berlin with one body (Leica IIIc) and one lens (50/3.5 Elmar). I'd do either the MP with one lens (I'm a 50 guy most of the time, but in tight confines like towns in Cyprus I might go 35 or even 28) or the Rollei. One type of film. Done. Go shoot.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:28:04 AM »

2. Nikon F5 with 24/50 - too big and too heavy
3. Hasselblad SWC - ditto
4. Rollei 35T (not 3.5 T) - OK but a bit restrictive and heavy

1. Leica MP with either 28/50 or 35/90 - I'd go 35 & 50. Done.  8)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
I think I'd want an alternative style of shooting in a 2nd cam so, while not knowing what digicam you have, I'd probably pick the SWC.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 02:00:14 PM »
Nigel, like your thinking. However, the SWC isn't either particularly large or heavy. However, I'm more likely to go with the MP - but 35 /50 is too close for me.

Sandeha, I'm taking a Leica Q (28mm but can crop to 35 and 50). I'm still debating the SWC but even with an A24, it's a bit limiting.

Still chewing the cud on this one....

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »

Paul you are quite proficient with any of those cameras and as you said previously that you were in a bit of a rut so why don't you get Lara to choose a camera and film combo and challenge yourself to make it work.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 07:21:29 PM »

Paul you are quite proficient with any of those cameras and as you said previously that you were in a bit of a rut so why don't you get Lara to choose a camera and film combo and challenge yourself to make it work.

Hi Irv.  That thought had crossed my mind but Lara would probably insist I take the lot!  She'll be tooled up with her Fuji X-T1 and 10-24 / 18-55 so I've been considering just taking the MP +28/50/90 and "borrowing" her X-T1 for when I want to get the odd really low-light shots.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
I second O2Pilot's and Nigel's choice. Going light is so enjoyable. I once went on a holiday to South Tyrol with just an Olympus 35RC as my analogue camera and I had an excellent time and never regretted the restrictions imposed by the fixed prime lens (a 42mm). If you take the Leica MP, I'd even only take one lens (very likely 35mm for the same reason that O2Pilot pointed out).

David A-W

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 09:33:06 PM »
I've not been to Cyprus but if it's like Greece then a 28mm lens would be better for town/village shots as there's no wide streets anywhere.

I'd probably just take the MP and 28mm and enjoy them, out of your set.

I'm in a strong Hasselblad phase myself, but with the top-down viewfinder of my 500cm rather than your SWC.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 10:59:12 PM »
MP, you sant something who needs no battery and are faster to shoot than it's own shadow.
Lost several shots in Sarajevo today due to having a camera that had to be switched on. 28/50 or just the 35 would be my choice.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
Hi!

As you'll be taking a digital one (full frame I guess), I'll choose:
3. Hasselblad SWC

Medium format.

I''ll travel to Manchester next week ... So I have to decide too.

Enjoy!!!

Cheers

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 11:49:51 PM »
Hi!

3. Hasselblad SWC

Medium format.

Enjoy!!!

Cheers

Yay - my home town! Take something light and unobtrusive. It's a great city - go and see the Etihad if you have time. The swamp (Old Trafford) isn't actually in Manchester....

x100art

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 12:36:18 AM »
  I would do the Leica with a 35 or the Rollei because I don't like to Lug around gear, but that's just me.
Take me back to the 80's please !!! I don't  like this time ..

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 03:18:43 AM »
Take your holga.  Much lighter.  Much better. 

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »
Good post. And a great choice of gear. My choice would be the MP 90. As mentioned, there is no point in the film rig replicating the d*g*t*l camera. I love the 90 end of my 80-200 and often use it to snaps parts of a scene or the detail of a building, which might be a different way of seeing pictures for you.

Whatever you take, have fun & please post the results.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
Thank you, people.  My decision's made.

Charles Binns - it might surprise you to know that (a) I still have my Holga and (b) I did give serious consideration to taking it.  However, I'm still not confident using it and I want to guarantee, as far as I can, good results. My issue not the camera's. As a control freak, I need more practice with it.

Zapsnaps. David, you're the only person I know who would take a short telephoto as the only lens and I have to say that it's tempting to try it.  However, my confidence is not high at the moment, to say the least, and I'm having to recede into a sort of comfort zone.

The Nikon is tempting as it's "auto everything" (if you want it to be) and that has a certain appeal. However, I would have to take a big bag and that's ruled it out because Cyprus is going to be bloody hot and I want to travel reasonably light. As a result of its of sheer portability and familiarity, I'm going to take the MP + 28/50/90.  A bit predictable, maybe, but it wasn't when I posted the request - as I'd even considered taking the Sofort only and going wholly instant.

I'm not revealing which film I'm taking yet.  You'll have to wait for that - but I will post some of the results when I get back.

Thank you all again.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »
Have a great time. Pleased that the Leica is on board
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »
... As a result of its of sheer portability and familiarity, I'm going to take the MP + 28/50/90....

Just a suggestion: pick one lens in the morning and use that lens exclusively that day. Imposing some (artificial) limits on your equipment can, I've found, be quite useful in demanding a bit more creativity.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »
... As a result of its of sheer portability and familiarity, I'm going to take the MP + 28/50/90....

Just a suggestion: pick one lens in the morning and use that lens exclusively that day. Imposing some (artificial) limits on your equipment can, I've found, be quite useful in demanding a bit more creativity.

Thanks, I might just do that.  I'm deliberately leaving my 35 Summicron at home as that almost "lives" on the camera.  the 28 and 90 get least use and I'm trying to get back into the 50 which, for some reason, I see as too long.  Time was it was the only focal length I owned and life was a lot simpler.

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »
I'm going to take the MP + 28/50/90. 

Thank you all again.

Great!!! We will enjoy your photoessay of Cyprus :-)

Un abrazo

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
Hi!

3. Hasselblad SWC

Medium format.

Enjoy!!!

Cheers

Yay - my home town! Take something light and unobtrusive. It's a great city - go and see the Etihad if you have time. The swamp (Old Trafford) isn't actually in Manchester....
Hi!
I'm not sure about the planning, hehe, but we will spent two days in the Lake District (Windermere and its surroundings). I'm not a football supporter, to be honest :-) So the swamp or the new Etihad are not clear destinations for my sister, hehe.

Gracias!!!