Author Topic: Solarisation dark spot in the middle of my Specular Highlights - Polaroid  (Read 626 times)

camcooke

• 35mm
Hello Filmwasters!

This is my first time posting here! I've recently started a photo-series that I'm shooting on FP-100c, the series is going to be for exhibition and the original polaroids are going to be exhibited (no printing, scanning or post production).

I've done a few tests of ideas I want to shoot, and there is some glassware involved that I'm getting specular highlights on. In the middle of the specular, I'm getting a black spot which as far as I can tell is solarisation due to overexposure.

Does anyone have any ideas for shooting in a way that avoids these? I've considered polarising, but as my flash is moving around a lot I'm not sure that's the best option? Here's a link to a reference picture: https://flic.kr/p/WHrFoS

Any advice would be awesome!

- Cam

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
Hi Cam

you're right - 100c is prone to solarisation like that on slightly overexposed areas...  unfortunately I don't have a cure but likely someone here will do.

good luck with the exhibition and welcome!

cheers

Francois

• Self-Coat
Solarization is a bit of a fact of life with many instant films I find. Instax is even worse than fp.
Since you're working with glass, I guess you also want the specular highlights...
Polarizing usually removes reflections..,
One thing that would work is diffusing the light through a large softbox, but I'm not sure that's the results you're after.
You can reduce the reflection of the glass using, if I remember correctly, spray on deodorant or Scotch guard....
You could also reduce the overall exposure to avoid the tone inversion... But I'm not sure if a long exposure would help much while keeping the same results....

I don't know if fp prints take well to localized chemical reduction using farmer's reducer? That would be the simplest and best way around the problem....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.