Author Topic: Filter Factors  (Read 5863 times)

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Filter Factors
« on: April 06, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »
Hello,   
More help needed!

Do i need to dial in some sort of exp comp when using filters?  I see that different coloured filters have different "filter factors" of say 2 stops, do i need to do anythying at all.

sorry if this is a dumb question.

and another thing, ive just put my finger into an open flame, its produced quite a harsh "burning" sensation in my finger which is now travelling up my arm.  shall i remove my finger?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Filter Factors
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:33:09 PM »
damion - the burning sensation you are feeling is, in fact, the pain produced by your finger actually burning.  If you hold it there a bit longer, you may even get to smell the skin starting to roast.  My advice is to remove your finger immediately and immerse it in water, at least until the screaming stops.  Others may disagree though.

re filters - if you are using a camera with TTL metering (like your r3a) it will do all the work for you so no worries.  If you are using a manual camera, you can either add the amount suggested by the filter manufacturer onto the meter reading, or you can set your meter to over expose by that amount, which is quite hlepful if you're going to shoot the whole film with the filter in place.  If you're using a toy camera, there's not a lot you can do about it, other than shoot with faster film.

hope that helps

L.

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:19:05 PM »
Damion, to add to Leon's sage advice -- especially about putting the burning skin in ice water immediately -- whenever I shoot with either a Holga or Diana with, say, a red filter during the daytime, I shoot with ISO 400 film and also set the aperture to cloudy. If you're shooting in a super shady area -- actual shade as opposed to neighborhoods we tend to avoid because doing so will get us robbed -- I sometimes push the film an additional stop and compensate with development.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 08:31:24 PM »
No, no, no... I'm sorry, but the others are steering you in quite the wrong direction.

You should instead baste your finger, preferably with a good brand of barbeque sauce and then, when properly cooked, amputate it and send it to me.

I'm hungry.

;D

Best regards,

Frank

P.S. They're right about the filters though.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 09:47:01 AM »
many thanks, most helpful. i will remove my finger then.

I was also unaware my R3A had TTl metering, i admit perhaps a foolish mistake.   

cheers

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: Filter Factors -dumb question number 4
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 09:53:26 AM »
..and overexpose is "-"  not +  is it not???

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 09:58:07 AM »
Damion, if you're talking about your r3a exposure compensation dial,

"+" is overexpose

"-" is underexpose

But, the ttl metering will deal with the filter, so no need to touch that, no matter if in manual or auto mode.
L.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 11:12:39 AM »
cheers!

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 06:12:03 PM »
Don't you just love that fab sensation when it shoots up your spine and explodes in your brain and goes back to your finger? Haha. Sorry.

I can't help you much, D, and it looks like your prayers have been answered. However, if I may toss one in the mix here...

...do those filters have to necessarily be glass? Or can I go the cheapy way and use my leftover Easter cellophane wrap fixed as one? I've got gads of colors from work and wondered if it can actually be used in place of a glass one. I need a red filter too...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 04:21:04 PM »
I used red cellophane for my holga and it worked fine, also on my ansco pix panorama,   it wasnt quite as quality as my red filter but did work.

Rogerrr

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 12:13:04 AM »
a great source of colored filters is the small book of sample gels you get from a lighting supplier for FREE

they are also the perfect size to fit over a flash too

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 02:32:11 AM »
I actually lifted, er, bought a red 49mm today...and used it a few times with the blaring sunshine this afternoon. We shall see. Thanks for the tidders...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine