Author Topic: Thomas Kellner - trippy stuff  (Read 1159 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Thomas Kellner - trippy stuff
« on: July 25, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »
http://www.photolucida.org/artist-detail/?cmid=9930

This one seems especially timely...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:53:21 PM by hookstrapped »

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: Thomas Kellner - trippy stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:08:22 PM »
Wow, that is very cool. Do you think those were entirely shot in sequence or did he pick the appropriate frames from several films?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
That reminds me an awful lot of Canadian artist Bill Vazan's photographs

He also did a lot of Land Art... and was famous for his mustache during the 1970's  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

David A-W

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
That reminds me of Hockney's joiner photographs (I've loved Peaseblossom Highway since I first saw it in print and seeing it at the Hockney retrospective at the Tate this year was very special) - and these are great too: it's the sort of image where I, for one, am super-impressed with the artistry but also the technicality from being able to see this merge between still and motion photography that still provides a completely original method of replicating how one's eyesight often takes in the details and then the entirety of the image. It's true artistry to be able to envisage the concept and then put it into practice so effectively. I always rather liked Cubism too.

If anyone knows of other artists with examples  of this concept then please do share.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 01:59:44 AM »
Regarding other photographers/artists who did similar things, I think this guy does something quite different in amplifying (rather than minimizing) the inherent discontinuity in assembling separate images into a whole. All his images share a pretty standard "true-to-life" bottom row or foundation, then things get rapidly out of whack as you go up. Or another way to put it, he shows these iconic structures (representative of human genius and engineering prowess) as teetering and fragile. I love the sense of it all tumbling down.

They certainly look like they were shot in sequence. That gets to the technical achievement. I guess we'd need higher resolution versions so we could see the frame numbers. I'm sure he wasted lots of film to get the strips he could use.

This stuff also reminds of the Japanese photographer who makes maps of cities with hundreds (thousands?) of contact sheet images.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
Would like to try this with my Pen F and the 100mm lens. Should be interesting to attempt with half frame.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
Would like to try this with my Pen F and the 100mm lens. Should be interesting to attempt with half frame.
Half frame should be really cool for this. Doesn't it break the rules of half frame ownership if you finish a film in the same year you started it😉

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 09:46:02 PM »
Well, that depends... I think you can break that rule by shooting on December 31'st with it  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.