Author Topic: Indofunk's 2017 UK tour pictures  (Read 5363 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Indofunk's 2017 UK tour pictures
« on: July 23, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere in these pages, I recently toured merry olde with the Jesse Malin band. Stops included London (twice: once for a huge Hyde Park show opening for Green Day, and once as a tour closer for a sold out show at Dingwall's), Oxford, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Leeds, and Liverpool. I had a great time, played for pretty big and very appreciative audiences, and only fucked up once (was drinking a few swift halfs with a friend in Liverpool and totally missed the opening song! ran into the club as the song was halfway through, grabbed my horn, played the first song in my street clothes, quickly changed between numbers, and was back to normal by the second song. the band never let me hear the end of it :( ). It was also my first time to Oxford, Nottingham, Newcastle, and Liverpool. Nice photo ops, especially in Newcastle.

So without further ado, here are some themed posts. Let's start with one of my favorite subjects, which England and especially Scotland has in droves: Alleys!! (or more generally, perspectives)

Oxfordshire

Oxford

Not sure if this was Oxford or Nottingham

Nottingham

Nottingham

Nottingham

Nottingham

Birmingham

Birmingham

Manchester

Manchester

Glasgow

Glasgow

Newcastle

Newcastle

Newcastle

Leeds

Liverpool

Liverpool

Liverpool

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:58:56 PM by Indofunk »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Indofunk's 2017 UK tour pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »
BTW, all photos taken on Tri-X at either 800 or 400 on a Canonet and developed in HC110 and dried in Peter's magically dust-free apartment.

How about nature/outdoors as our next theme? Mostly I was in cities (although the drives through the English countryside were BEAUTIFUL, truly one of the pleasures of the tour), so these are kind of urban nature shots.

Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire

Birmingham

Birmingham

Birmingham

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 06:57:51 PM »
I love the last three Newcastle shots

And wow, England is strikingly non-dusty

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »
You just ruined my joke  :'(

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »
I didn't take many pictures in the venues, mostly because I was busy loading in/out, soundchecking, or doing the thing I came to the UK to do: play! So here are a couple of scraps from the venues...

The three individuals pictured here, our driver, the sax player, and the guitar player, are the 3 most passionate people you'll meet. Also the biggest conspiracy theorists you'll meet. That's a bad combination ;D Which is why I kept myself at a safe distance from them. However, they seem to be having quite the time here :D

Birmingham, Mama Roux. Definitely the coolest-looking place we played. Themed as a New Orleans style restaurant/speakeasy, this is the hidden upstairs loft.You can see the stage in the background.

Mama Roux again

Taken from the green room at Sound Control, Manchester. That's the bandleader Jesse Malin at frame right on his cellphone. Side note: I simply can't say or even think "Sound Control" without adding "to Major Tong" afterwards :D

This is our opening act, Matthew Ryan. Honestly can't even remember the venue. Might have been Sound Control (to Major Tong).

Our opener again, at Newcastle. We played at this huge complex right by the train station. It was seriously immense (and I'm a New Yorker!). A half dozen stages, a dozen bars, clubs, restaurants, a museum, all surrounding an open air square where they have weekly concerts.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
You just ruined my joke  :'(

Well to be fair, it wasn't exactly funny...  :-X

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 07:12:45 PM »
In Leeds I met up with Stuart. After an unintentional tour of Leeds, we ended up at an old abandoned rail station turned into a tourist attraction. Lots of urban decay for me to drool over :)

I realized something very odd on this tour. I am always much more social and open when I am outside of NYC, and especially outside the country. I don't know if it's because in NYC I have my NYC guard up, but I never talk to anyone or interact with anyone on the streets of NYC. This gentleman here, for example, in NYC I either would have stealth-shot him or just passed up on the shot because it would have involved me interacting with him. But since I was out of the country, I just asked the guy if he wouldn't mind being in my photo (mostly I wanted a picture of the coal and he happened to be in the way). I might have even (gasp!) smiled  ???

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:17:37 PM by Indofunk »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
We were scheduled to play Dingwall's in Camden Lock on Tuesday July 12, and that Sunday night on our drive down to London we heard about a huge fire at Camden Lock Market, which is right where Dingwall's is. Monday I went down to Camden Market to assess the situation, and here are the pictures. Looks like they controlled the fire well, and we did end up playing Dingwall's on Tuesday to a sold out crowd!!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »
My last day in London I stayed at a hotel near Camdentown called the Enterprise. They have the coolest elevator (lift) I've seen, but that's a subject for another time and place (for example, on Facebook, where I posted a cellphone video of it). My room was on the second floor (first floor), and unlike every other hotel in the world, there were no bars on the windows, so I could open them wide and lean out onto Chalk Farm Road and get my W. Eugene Smith on!!

Here's an internal shot of my makeshift "jazz loft" :) I did play some trumpet in there, so it truly was my Jazz Loft According to W. Indofunk Satish :D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »
And now some various and sundries.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »
Bonus! Pictures of Filmwasters. The pics of Peter are obviously from NYC, but it was on the same roll as the W Eugene Smith photos from London, so I'm including them :)

Mr. Stuart Burrows, the most Yorkshire one can get :)

Better than cold fries and hand cut beer.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 09:17:42 PM »
Looks like you filled your spare time very nicely. It's always interesting to see what, can I say visitors, look for and photograph. A lot of the time it's stuff that residents probably don't even notice or don't see value in the familiar.  Nice nod to Eugene Smith, imagine what he could have done in '50's Soho.

Glad the tour was a success. A bit gutted I couldn't make London. 'You know it's dark' and 'Addicted' currently get a fair amount of headphone time from me, 'Outsiders' is still a top album. I love a bit of Jesse.
Thanks for sharing and kudos for getting them turned round so quick.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 09:55:59 PM »
Oh wow, I didn't know anyone on the forum even knew about Jesse! Atheists is of course my favorite song, it's our walkoff song and the sax player & I tag the ending brass line and walk through the crowd as pied pipers to bring them to the merch table :) Where do you live? I'll definitely let you know next time we play London and you can be my guest!

I too like seeing outsiders' ( ;) ) pictures of NYC. Very often stuff that I see every day and don't notice, but once I see someone's photograph I say "hey! I should've thought to take that!" :D

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 10:38:43 PM »
Now that I'll hold you too! I'm Salisbury way, Stonehenge is on my way to work, but London is most convenient and a place I am quite often.
I'm sure by the end of your essay Jesse will be a household name here to more than me!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »
Oh wow, I didn't know anyone on the forum even knew about Jesse!

Ahem! 

Great series of pictures. Glad you had a good tour!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 09:06:52 PM »
Nice one Satish! Hard to choose favorites, but the stoop with the milk bottles made me stop and look a while. Thanks for sharing these.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 04:39:14 AM »
Oh wow, I didn't know anyone on the forum even knew about Jesse!

Ahem! 

Great series of pictures. Glad you had a good tour!

Correction: I knew Adam knew about Jesse! :D

Had a great tour! Next week we play Lollapalooza & various other spots in the Midwest!

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 08:48:11 PM »
excellent observational stuff, Satish.
I especially like the shots from the hotel window.

I only have "New York before the war", so a little late to the Malin party, but I hear so much good in that one album, I'll definitely explore some more...
Glad you had a good UK leg of the tour, and come back soon.
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 12:15:13 AM »

I only have "New York before the war", so a little late to the Malin party, but I hear so much good in that one album, I'll definitely explore some more...

Well that's the first album that I'm on, so it's a great starting point!!  ;D ;D ;D

We will definitely be back, and I'll let you guys know on the forum again, hopefully we can meet up. Where do you live?

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »

Well that's the first album that I'm on, so it's a great starting point!!  ;D ;D ;D

We will definitely be back, and I'll let you guys know on the forum again, hopefully we can meet up. Where do you live?

I'm on top of the little sticky-outy bit that's closest to France, so only an hour away from London.
A meet-up would be grand.  :)
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 06:52:36 AM »
Great set! I like the photo with the horse in the archway.