Author Topic: ONE ROLL OF FILM - Everywhere - Saturday 9th September - UPDATED WITH MAP  (Read 7129 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
This is a few years old so you may have seen it. The restriction of 12 shots is a great way to get those creative brain cells working.  ???

! No longer available

If a few people fancied doing the same in London I'd be up for organising it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:49:14 PM by Nigel »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: One Roll of Film - London - interested?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »
Hi Nigel.  I'm definitely looking for a reason to get out and shoot - particularly with the Blad.

The only dates I know I can't make are 5th - 13th August and 19th August.  Other than that, I'd really appreciate something to plan for.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:35:33 PM »
Hi Nigel.  I'm definitely looking for a reason to get out and shoot - particularly with the Blad.

The only dates I know I can't make are 5th - 13th August and 19th August.  Other than that, I'd really appreciate something to plan for.

Hi Paul, I'm glad you're coming voluntarily. I'd already decided I was going to do some serious arm twisting if you weren't!  8)

My Saturdays are taken up with a Documentary Video Course until the 19th August. So I was thinking either Saturday 26th (BH weekend) or the 9th September. Let's see if we get any other takers. I appreciate some people may have prior commitments for the BH.

My current thoughts are meet somewhere for coffee, go off and shoot for a bit. Meet up for lunch/pub and a bit more shooting in the afternoon. That way we get a good bit of social time, which is generally my favourite aspect to meeting fellow Filmwasters.

I should add this isn't restricted to Hassy owners, Agfa Clack to X-pan, all 120 shooters welcome.

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »
I'd be up for it but a bit far ahead for me to say definitely. I'd fit in with whatever you want regarding dates. Would be an excuse to get the Rolleiflex out which I haven't touched for toooo long.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
I'd be up for it but a bit far ahead for me to say definitely. I'd fit in with whatever you want regarding dates. Would be an excuse to get the Rolleiflex out which I haven't touched for toooo long.

It'll be great if you can make it Peter. If we get something arranged I'll let you know.

website

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
I'm up for a go if I could give the Koni-Omega a run out.
  I can't do the bank holiday weekend though we have family visiting and going to a Billie Holiday play in the evening.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
Hi Nigel

I'm up for this, providing work doesn't call me away at the last minute. And it would be great if you could join us too, Paul - it may help restore your mojo
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 04:35:43 AM »
Can I join from afar?
Whatever date you pick, I'll do it too here in Albuquerque.
and maybe round up another local film waster or two here.... Joe V, Mike C?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 06:44:06 AM »
Mrs R has had to remind me (bad, bad thing) that the 26th August is her birthday so that won't be an option for me. But don't change it on my account if that's the preferred date.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nigel

• Self-Coat
Re: One Roll of Film - London - Saturday 9th September - interested?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 07:51:45 AM »
Mrs R has had to remind me (bad, bad thing) that the 26th August is her birthday so that won't be an option for me. But don't change it on my account if that's the preferred date.

Ouch, good luck with that! That's two of us who can't make the 26th, I suspected that may be the case. Let's say definitely Saturday 9th September.

I'll think about where to meet etc.

website

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 10:17:40 AM »
Sat 9th is fine with me
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 05:48:33 PM »
Fine for me also and Mrs R might tag along too.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
Sat 9th is fine with me

Fine for me also and Mrs R might tag along too.

Great, it looks like there will be a few of us. More details to follow.  8)

website

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 09:28:48 PM »
i'll stick it in the diary!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 11:42:47 PM »
9th September works for me as things stand.  Please add me to the list. 

Thanks, Paul.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
Nigel: great idea and thanks very much for getting this one up and running. It should be fun. I would love to have come along, but I'm already booked to play with the band on the evening of 9th September and a day spent wasting film followed by an evening out playing terrible music wouldn't go down well on the home front. Boo!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »
Can I join from afar?
Whatever date you pick, I'll do it too here in Albuquerque.
and maybe round up another local film waster or two here.... Joe V, Mike C?

This is a great idea Becky. If anyone else fancies joining in from a distance it would be great to see what's happening in your part of the world on 9th September!

website

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
Nigel: great idea and thanks very much for getting this one up and running. It should be fun. I would love to have come along, but I'm already booked to play with the band on the evening of 9th September and a day spent wasting film followed by an evening out playing terrible music wouldn't go down well on the home front. Boo!

That is a shame, surely a man with your charm can swing it!  8)

website

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 09:39:12 PM »
Mrs R has had to remind me (bad, bad thing) that the 26th August is her birthday

I hope you don't mind me having a little chuckle at your expense, Peter?  :D

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Not at all.

Any chance you can make this a sticky Ed? It's getting a bit lost.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
so far we have a group of two local film wasters...
It's going to be a fun time!
Beck 8)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
I'll be doing it - where ever I am. I suspect I may be in Galecia / Asturias - Vuelta and all that :-)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
I'll be doing it - where ever I am. I suspect I may be in Galecia / Asturias - Vuelta and all that :-)

That's great Andrea, my Vuelta viewing is going to be courtesy of ITV I'm afraid.

It'll be interesting to see what's happening on the same day in different parts of the world - even better if you can get a cycling shot in there!

We've got North America and Europe represented, anyone in Asia, Africa, South America or Australasia fancy taking part? I guess we're going to be unlikely to get Antarctica!  I wonder if there are any film shooters here? https://twitter.com/BAS_News Maybe I'll tweet them and ask!

website

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
Hey Nigel, I would like to join in....will prolly be just me !

Nigel

• Self-Coat
Hey Nigel, I would like to join in....will prolly be just me !

That's great to hear Diane!

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Hi Nigel,

Any ideas yet where in London we might meet and what there might be to photograph?

I'm just thinking about film and do I need to order any.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
Hi Peter, that's slightly spooky I was in the process of studying the map when your email popped in.

These are my thoughts but I'm quite happy to go with the general consensus.

We need somewhere to meet in the morning, then I thought we'd all wander off and do our thing, meeting up for lunch and meet again at the end of the day. Of course, if some people want to shoot together that's fine.

The only rule is you get one roll of 120. This is not a competition it's a creative boost.

If anyone wants to take part (in London) and you don't have a 120 camera I have a camera you can borrow, I can even rustle up a roll of film!

I was going to suggest keeping the three venues fairly local then if some people don't want to walk too far they don't need to.

Meetup between 10-11am: Dillons Café at Waterstones Gower St - Torrington Place. https://goo.gl/maps/iAgc9tpSuSG2
There is a large café with lots of tables, good coffee and big section of photo books in the basement. It's quiet now as most of the students are away. There's an exhibition space in the basement that often has photography on display. Close to Goodge Street & Russell Square tube.

Lunch (1pm-ish): I'm struggling   :-\
I've been looking for somewhere that looks like it might not be packed on a Saturday lunchtime. If anyone has a recommendation let me know. If not I'll come up with something by the day. Let me know if you have strong feelings regarding café or pub or something else?

End of the day: The Camera Museum, Museum Street. https://goo.gl/maps/Wv1aTRq98DN2
I've not been here since the Camera Café turned into the Camera Museum but it has got to be worth a look.

If you don't know the area there's plenty to shoot including The British Museum, University College, The Brunswick Centre (lovely brutalist architecture), SOAS, Regents Park (to the north), St. Pancras station and err, lots of humans!

Obviously, we want to post some images here but I might see if I can make a simple gallery page on WordPress, or something, so we can each post a gallery or our 8, 10 or 12 shots. I'll report back on that.

It'll be great if Becks, Diane (and anyone else interested) can shoot locally on the same day.

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Hi Peter, that's slightly spooky I was in the process of studying the map when your email popped in.

These are my thoughts but I'm quite happy to go with the general consensus.

We need somewhere to meet in the morning, then I thought we'd all wander off and do our thing, meeting up for lunch and meet again at the end of the day. Of course, if some people want to shoot together that's fine.

The only rule is you get one roll of 120. This is not a competition it's a creative boost.

If anyone wants to take part (in London) and you don't have a 120 camera I have a camera you can borrow, I can even rustle up a roll of film!

I was going to suggest keeping the three venues fairly local then if some people don't want to walk too far they don't need to.

Meetup between 10-11am: Dillons Café at Waterstones Gower St - Torrington Place. https://goo.gl/maps/iAgc9tpSuSG2
There is a large café with lots of tables, good coffee and big section of photo books in the basement. It's quiet now as most of the students are away. There's an exhibition space in the basement that often has photography on display. Close to Goodge Street & Russell Square tube.

Lunch (1pm-ish): I'm struggling   :-\
I've been looking for somewhere that looks like it might not be packed on a Saturday lunchtime. If anyone has a recommendation let me know. If not I'll come up with something by the day. Let me know if you have strong feelings regarding café or pub or something else?

End of the day: The Camera Museum, Museum Street. https://goo.gl/maps/Wv1aTRq98DN2
I've not been here since the Camera Café turned into the Camera Museum but it has got to be worth a look.

If you don't know the area there's plenty to shoot including The British Museum, University College, The Brunswick Centre (lovely brutalist architecture), SOAS, Regents Park (to the north), St. Pancras station and err, lots of humans!

Obviously, we want to post some images here but I might see if I can make a simple gallery page on WordPress, or something, so we can each post a gallery or our 8, 10 or 12 shots. I'll report back on that.

It'll be great if Becks, Diane (and anyone else interested) can shoot locally on the same day.

Hi Nigel.

I like the concept and the locations - looks great.

As far as lunch goes, can I make a suggestion?  The Blue Posts on the corner of Newman St and Eastcastle St :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Blue+Posts/@51.5178253,-0.1351527,18z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x6b2e0d91034007ab!2sWaterstones!8m2!3d51.522448!4d-0.1321809!3m4!1s0x0:0x3f13d947ebe2b66!8m2!3d51.5170152!4d-0.1354207

It's a great Sam Smiths pub and only a hundred metres from Oxford Street and is usually very quiet on a Saturday.  They do excellent food and a wonderful selection of proper beers.  It's in the vicinity of all the Camera shops (Aperture, Camera World, Calumet and only a short walk to The Camera Museum.  As it happens, we're meeting some friends at The Blue Posts tomorrow.

Incidentally, the Camera Museum is Aperture's Hasselblad outlet.  They still have a coffee shop.  The "museum" is in their downstairs space.

https://www.cameramuseum.uk/museum-gallery

Hope that's of interest.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Sorry about this Nigel but I must admit I was probably thinking of somewhere more like a market or a more touristy area - simply because I never get to those places when I go to London. And, as it happens, I visit that area you've picked quite often as I have a couple of customers close by so would be a bit too much like work for me.

But, if we are going to do our own thing then nothing stopping me from going somewhere else and if everyone else is OK with it then that's fine by me.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
Sorry about this Nigel but I must admit I was probably thinking of somewhere more like a market or a more touristy area - simply because I never get to those places when I go to London. And, as it happens, I visit that area you've picked quite often as I have a couple of customers close by so would be a bit too much like work for me.

But, if we are going to do our own thing then nothing stopping me from going somewhere else and if everyone else is OK with it then that's fine by me.

Hi Peter, I didn't really know what people had in mind. To be honest, I know that area really well, but I didn't want to suggest somewhere I hadn't visited before.

I imagined that we would all split up, as they did in the video. (Which I notice has disappeared, I'll try re-embedding it.) Maybe rather pretentiously I thought it would be interesting to see how we all interpreted the same area. I find if I shoot with other photographers - although I enjoy it - I'm more focused on the conversation than what's around me. Inevitably we'd all end up shooting the same thing.

As I'm sure you know, just south of where we'll be is Soho (about 10 minutes walk), Berwick Street Market is always interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick_Street#Berwick_Street_Market

I went back to check the pub Paul suggested and that is in Berwick Street - that's amazing, I genuinely didn't know that. It sounds good to me, shall we go with that for now. Unless we get another suggestion!

I hope a few more people come along - if you're lurking please jump in, we're a friendly bunch!  ;D

Here we go.

! No longer available

website

Nigel

• Self-Coat
OK can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with this video.

This is what I'm trying to embed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ--S-wG_lk&t=9s

website

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
Not sure you are doing anything wrong.

I can see the video in your post above.

Mike

Nigel

• Self-Coat
Not sure you are doing anything wrong.

I can see the video in your post above.

Mike

Thanks Mike, it's weird it doesn't show for me. I'm using chrome which you imagine would play well with Youtube.

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
I went back to check the pub Paul suggested and that is in Berwick Street

Seems there's more than one Blue Posts.

The one Paul mentioned is corner of Newman and Eastcastle. There's another on the corner of Kingley and Ganton and one on the corner of Berwick and Broadwick and another on the corner of Bennet and Arlington. I think we need to be sure which one we're referring to or we could all be in different ones.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
I went back to check the pub Paul suggested and that is in Berwick Street

Seems there's more than one Blue Posts.

The one Paul mentioned is on the corner of Newman and Eastcastle. There's another on the corner of Kingley and Ganton and one on the corner of Berwick and Broadwick and another on the corner of Bennet and Arlington. I think we need to be sure which one we're referring to or we could all be in different ones.

You're right. I was already thinking of Berwick Street saw the Blue Posts, two and two made 'a pint of lager and a packet of crisps please'. It is indeed the corner of Newman and Eastcastle. Before the day I'll make a handy dandy map.

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Having Googled it, there's definitely a few "Blue Posts" in and around London.  Seems on odd name - unless it's a chain.  Apologies if misleading but the one I know (and have just got back from) is the one on the corner of Newman and Eastcastle. Aside from the 4 of us, there were only a couple of other people upstairs in the food eatery area from 13:00 to when we left about 16:45.  Behind the north side of Oxford St, there's a few parks and other landmarks and fewer shoppers. I don't mind where we meet up, though, mine was only a suggestion.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
The filmwasters of Albuquerque still plan to join in from afar.   8)

I'm really looking forward to it and have decided to shoot my most trustworthy Holga 120S with some Arista 400.
I've also got my good friend Erin McGuire interested, who you all know or remember as 'west mojave" in California interested...so it looks like a fun day!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
The filmwasters of Albuquerque still plan to join in from afar.   8)

I'm really looking forward to it and have decided to shoot my most trustworthy Holga 120S with some Arista 400.
I've also got my good friend Erin McGuire interested, who you all know or remember as 'west mojave" in California interested...so it looks like a fun day!

That's great Becky, I'm looking forward to seeing the view from the west - I'd love to be there to do it with you guys! Yes, I know Erin, I follow her lovely work on Instagram.

website

Nigel

• Self-Coat
Having Googled it, there's definitely a few "Blue Posts" in and around London.  Seems on odd name - unless it's a chain.  Apologies if misleading but the one I know (and have just got back from) is the one on the corner of Newman and Eastcastle. Aside from the 4 of us, there were only a couple of other people upstairs in the food eatery area from 13:00 to when we left about 16:45.  Behind the north side of Oxford St, there's a few parks and other landmarks and fewer shoppers. I don't mind where we meet up, though, mine was only a suggestion.

I think it's a good suggestion, let's stick with it. I've made a map with the three locations and my mobile number in case anyone needs it. You can download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zlp833md3ymx43/Flimwasters-1Roll_London_map.pdf?dl=0

I'm going to be at Waterstones by 10am and aiming to leave by 11-ish. If you don't make it there text me and we'll be in the Blue Posts by 1pm. I thought we'd leave setting a time for the Camera Museum depending on how the day goes.

It'll be great if anyone else can make it. Any questions just shout.  8)

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: ONE ROLL OF FILM - Everywhere - Saturday 9th September - UPDATED WITH MAP
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »
I think Mrs R and I will probably skip Waterstones so we'll aim to meet up at the pub later. I think we're going to start at Covent Garden and work our way through China Town, Soho, Carnaby St., Liberty and Berwick St. market. That's the current plan anyway. Weather's not looking great so could all change.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 05:42:26 PM »
I think Mrs R and I will probably skip Waterstones so we'll aim to meet up at the pub later. I think we're going to start at Covent Garden and work our way through China Town, Soho, Carnaby St., Liberty and Berwick St. market. That's the current plan anyway. Weather's not looking great so could all change.

Fair enough, Peter, look forward to seeing you both for lunch.

website

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 05:53:53 PM »
I haven't planned a route yet and haven't really decided with what film stock but will definitely be there camera in hand ready to shoot something :-\ 

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »
I haven't planned a route yet and haven't really decided with what film stock but will definitely be there camera in hand ready to shoot something :-\

:)

website

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
The weather forecast is so-so at the moment, but I'm due for a day out in Cardiff (and 120 is nooo problem) so I might join you all (and pick up a bar stool at IKEA while I'm at it).   ;)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
The weather forecast is so-so at the moment, but I'm due for a day out in Cardiff (and 120 is nooo problem) so I might join you all (and pick up a bar stool at IKEA while I'm at it).   ;)

Hi Sandeha, that's good to hear. The more the merrier!

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2017, 12:00:22 AM »
Hi All,

Not been around much lately. However, Lara and I are aiming to be at Waterstones by 10:00 on Saturday to meet up with Nigel and whoever else is there. Did we finally decide on which Blue Posts we're heading for? We usually make a habit of visiting the one on the corner of Newman and Eastcastle but happy to meet up anywhere that's the majority vote.

I think I've decided which camera but not quite got to the film stock yet. I'm in a mono mood just now, so that will probably be what I go with.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work and meeting up with some friends. It's been a weird six months and I really need this creative diversion.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
Hi All,

Not been around much lately. However, Lara and I are aiming to be at Waterstones by 10:00 on Saturday to meet up with Nigel and whoever else is there. Did we finally decide on which Blue Posts we're heading for? We usually make a habit of visiting the one on the corner of Newman and Eastcastle but happy to meet up anywhere that's the majority vote.

I think I've decided which camera but not quite got to the film stock yet. I'm in a mono mood just now, so that will probably be what I go with.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work and meeting up with some friends. It's been a weird six months and I really need this creative diversion.

Hi Paul

I should be at Waterstones by 10am. We're going with your Blue Posts hopefully I marked the correct one on the map (a few posts ago). I think Annette's coming and will meet us at the pub. I'm bringing my Hassy, for the first outing for some time, and probably some Portra 400.

website

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Hi All
I'll be a Waterstones by 1000, too. I'll be Hassied - up, but my choice of stock my surprise some... And that's before you get to see the snaps produced with it
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
Do you mind if I join in at a distance like Becky?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Not at all.

Any chance you can make this a sticky Ed? It's getting a bit lost.

Done!

(and hello!)