Author Topic: more weird film developing artifacts - Cinestill bubbles  (Read 1303 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
more weird film developing artifacts - Cinestill bubbles
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:22:48 PM »
So...

Cinestill 800, developed normally C-41 at a commercial lab I know and trust (got a couple other rolls of xpro Ektachrome developed at the same time and they were fine).

This film has sat in my camera in a fairly hot room for a few months.
The effect is less bubbles and more like sediment-filled water rushing through the sprocket holes (not visible in the crops posted) that then freezes.

Ideas?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: more weird film developing artifacts - Cinestill bubbles
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:34:32 PM »
They kind of look like bubbles squashed together like there may have been another film against yours during development.  Maybe they accidentally loaded two films over one another if that's possible. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »
Looks to me more like their solutions were too hot and the emulsion melted a little. Kind of cool for one roll, but would be irritating if that was 'normal'.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »
Or it could be a manufacturing defect, but not from kodak's part.
I don't know the exact process that the brothers Wright use to remove the remjet but I suspect that it involves pressure washing it off and drying the film before spooling it. If the water they use contains soluble minerals, they could dry on the emulsion side and so something like that....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 02:09:59 AM »
Looks to me more like their solutions were too hot and the emulsion melted a little. Kind of cool for one roll, but would be irritating if that was 'normal'.

All said (so far), I'm leaning towards this explanation...