Author Topic: Ruby window replacement  (Read 1294 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Ruby window replacement
« on: July 10, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »
I just received an Ansco 3a in what I would consider EXC++ condition. The bellows are beautiful and light tight, the shutter makes those clicky noises and even the brilliant finder mirror is about 99%. The one issue is that the ruby window is missing. I walked around the Dollar Store for a while looking for a suitable something made out of red plastic that I could cut a new one out of, but no luck. I figure someone here must have replaced one of these at some point. I would prefer a 'permanent' replacement that I can glue in and never worry about again rather than a piece of red cellophane taped in. So let's have your best DIY ruby window ideas!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
Re: Ruby window replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
Cut down multigrade filter, the square ones that sit above the lens?

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »
Ah! I'd been meaning to post something like this for a while, I've got an old "Kowa Kid" 127 camera with a damaged red window so suggestions for suitable red filters in the back would be useful for me too. I kept it for nostalgia reasons as it's one of the earliest cameras I ever used back in my tweens, though I have very few surviving shots from it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »
There's always something from the Rosco or Lee sample filter packs.
Or you can use one of those old hard plastic "decoder" red windows that was used for the mystery rebates at some stores.
Old teleconverters, VCR and remote controls sometimes have a red plastic window that covers the IR sensor or emitter.
You can also use some acrylic compatible fabric dye and use it to color some rigid acrylic... it should work (see the replicator prop forums https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=53660)
Plastic bingo markers.
Or you can use some Pebeo Vitrail paint that's used for faux stained-glass.

Tons of options out there.

And for cutting out the center, on hole saws you can remove the center drill. Just make sure the plastic is clamped solidly or you're going to see bits flying!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:55:41 PM »
There's always something from the Rosco or Lee sample filter packs.

Are those rigid plastic or flexible film?

I wish I had kept one of those old Brownie Fiestas. I might have been able to cannibalize the window out of them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:59:54 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »
I've used red Gel Filter to fix windows.  Just tape it down good around the edges with gaffers tape so light doesn't seek around it. 

https://www.amazon.com/FILTERS-106-SHEET-PRIMARY-Gel-Sheets/dp/B003DIGLV8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1499725013&sr=8-13&keywords=red+gel+sheet

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:21:34 PM »
Hi, I just took one out of a slaughtered Certo-Phot. The little red disk is flat, thin but rigid and has a Diameter of exactly 15 mm. If you want it, I will send it to you by reglar mail. You got an email. Cheers - R.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:25:45 PM by imagesfrugales »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 12:03:13 AM »
Thanks Reinhold. The hole on this 3a is a little smaller than that, but I think I can make it work.

Does anyone know why some windows are green?
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 03:51:07 AM »
Thanks Reinhold. The hole on this 3a is a little smaller than that, but I think I can make it work.

Does anyone know why some windows are green?

Probably the same reason that some safelight filters are green but I have no idea why.  Maybe some films were less sensitive to green light.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »
The Lee and Rosco filters are flexible polyester.

As for the color, in a sense it doesn't really matter. It's goal is just to reduce the amount of light that hits the back of the paper to avoid imprinting the number on the film. The color in itself is often chosen according to the backing paper color in order to make the numbers easier to see.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.