Author Topic: Weekend 8-9 July  (Read 4062 times)

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Weekend 8-9 July
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
Two pics from fairy and fire night, more in the essay forum.

Ricoh GR1s KOdak TriX 400 28mm by calbisu, on Flickr

Ricoh GR1s KOdak TriX 400 28mm by calbisu, on Flickr

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
Re: Weekend 8-9 July
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
All of these from Philadelphia on the 4th of July, also known as Brexit 1776. Kodak Tmax 100 developed in Ilfosol 3 1:9, taken with a Canon EOS Elan 7 and the always present, 50mm 1.8. A good 4th of July weekend, although I found out I'm going to hell because I grew up Catholic. Oh well.

Goin' Places
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

Lukewarm

Patriotic Flowers
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Dragging children over a fire in their underwear, Make America Hate Again, what's the weekend thread coming to  ;)

I've been working on my skills with 4x5 film lately.  These were both shot with my Rex laboratories camera using a Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.7 lens.  The film is Kodak TMax 100 that expired in 1997 developed in Beer.

Clam with Barnacles by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Old Foot Bridge by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
From my travels over the Independence Day holiday.  And what says independence better than a truck with a moose in the back?

:-)

Plaubel Makina 670/Portra400

Untitled by Jeff Warden, on Flickr

Untitled by Jeff Warden, on Flickr

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »
Miguel's flowers and Bryan's shell condo are outstanding. I also shot some 4x5 this weekend. This is the Geisel (Dr. Seuss) Library on the UCSD campus. Taken with the Harman Titan pinhole on Kodak Clinic Select Green x-ray film. A little over-developed in x-tol.

Simply Brutiful by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
After too long a hiatus, I got my Instax out again and burned through a pack that expired in 2015 before it went bad.
So, I headed out to a local graffiti covered wall that the city plans on having painted with a "fresco"... it's probably going to be boring and cost a lot of money.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
Far too few TLR shots in this thread............  :P

Minolta Autocord / Rollei RPX 400 in Xtol
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »
Another TLR to keep Kai-san's Autocord company. Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessar, Ektar 100. This one was taken on July 4, 2015; I shot some B+W this year but have yet to finish the roll.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:30:32 PM by EarlJam »

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
Another TLR to keep Kai-san's Autocord company. Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessar, Ektar 100. This one was taken on July 4, 2015; I shot some B+W this year but have yet to finish the roll.
Well that's a cool photo...the kid has his foot off and out of the picture frame the way I see it.
Very cool!!!  8)

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 12:35:49 AM »
Well that's a cool photo...the kid has his foot off and out of the picture frame the way I see it.
Very cool!!!  8)
Thanks, Becky! It's a bit of serendipitous composition and a lot of luck with shutter release timing. There's a strip of concrete gutter next to the asphalt and I managed to catch the kid and scooter at just the right time.

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »
Making up the numbers for the TLR users ... Yashicamat 124G and Tri-X developed in HC110

Upper Coquetdale
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
Great thread. Love Kai-San's "cornered" and Kevin's "upper Coquetdale".

In the spirit of adding to the TLR shots. This one was an accidental double-exposure from outside a big church in Mosta, Malta from a couple of years ago...

Rolleiflex 2.8e and Ilford Delta 400
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 05:43:45 PM »
This one was an accidental double-exposure ...

How did you to a double exposure on a 2.8e? I didn't think it was possible. Don't think I can with my 'c'.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »

How did you to a double exposure on a 2.8e? I didn't think it was possible. Don't think I can with my 'c'.

I have absolutely no idea, Peter.  It was the only film camera I had with me in Malta and I was surprised when I got the film back from the lab.  The camera never threw a wobbler again and, to this day, I have no idea how it happened.  Thankfully, I took another shot of the same location which came out fine.

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »
Red Lion - High Wycombe - the red lion figure has been restored recently. This used to be the Red Lion Hotel and it's fame is down to Winston Churchill who gave a speech in 1945, standing next to the lion!
Fuji GW690ii - Kodak Tri-X 400 - Ilfosol3 for 8 minutes - I am quite pleased with how clear the whites have come through - minimal adjustments in PSE.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »

I have absolutely no idea, Peter.  It was the only film camera I had with me in Malta and I was surprised when I got the film back from the lab.  The camera never threw a wobbler again and, to this day, I have no idea how it happened.  Thankfully, I took another shot of the same location which came out fine.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 11:02:08 PM »
On Friday I went over to Deal for the day taking my Bronica ETRS, and while I shot more colour than black and white I did have a roll of Ilford PanF+ on me which I developed Saturday. Like an idiot I thought i could perhaps get rid of the excess suds from a bit too much wetting agent by gently squegeeing with my fingers, so I got some scratched frames. Then I remembered I'd done that before, with much the same bad result. Memo to self: DON'T DO THAT!!!

Anyway, I love this one for the depth of field. The car is a Nissan Pao, which I'd never even heard of before!

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »

So you learn something every day. Thanks Carlos.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:59:34 PM by PeterR »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
Very cool!!!  8)

I saw that in exactly the same way. It would be good to create that deliberately.

I went to a talk by Martin Parr some time ago. I don't like some of his work but one thing he said really stuck with me. He said that photographers in the UK spend to much time photographing history, castles and National Trust properties etc, they'll all look the same in 20 years time. We should be shooting in our local High Street or supermarket.

When I remember I slip my XA2 in my pocket when I go to Sainsbury's - my wife walks away in embarrassment!  8)

Sainbury's
by Nigel Rumsey, on Flickr

Mecca (for some)
by Nigel Rumsey, on Flickr

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
I went to a talk by Martin Parr some time ago. I don't like some of his work but one thing he said really stuck with me. He said that photographers in the UK spend to much time photographing history, castles and National Trust properties etc, they'll all look the same in 20 years time. We should be shooting in our local High Street or supermarket.

I often think about that when I take photos.  I took a nice photo of my wife several years ago and looking at it I was kind of disappointed with how some of the stuff looked on the table in front of her.  After thinking about it I figured stuff like that may be of interest to someone in a few decades.  It gives insight into our every day life.  On the other hand, a few weeks ago I was talking to an old man about taking a picture of an old truck next to his garage.  He made a joke about charging admission to photograph it since so many other people have taken photos of it.  I still took the photo but it made me think that it will be nothing special in the long run. 

By the way, your photos are interesting to me because they give insight into every day life in a part of the world that I am not very familiar with.  There are some things that are very different and other things that are very familiar.  I have been to England but I mostly paid attention to the old castles and historic stuff. 

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »

I often think about that when I take photos.  I took a nice photo of my wife several years ago and looking at it I was kind of disappointed with how some of the stuff looked on the table in front of her.  After thinking about it I figured stuff like that may be of interest to someone in a few decades.  It gives insight into our every day life.  On the other hand, a few weeks ago I was talking to an old man about taking a picture of an old truck next to his garage.  He made a joke about charging admission to photograph it since so many other people have taken photos of it.  I still took the photo but it made me think that it will be nothing special in the long run. 

By the way, your photos are interesting to me because they give insight into every day life in a part of the world that I am not very familiar with.  There are some things that are very different and other things that are very familiar.  I have been to England but I mostly paid attention to the old castles and historic stuff.

An interesting debate, Bryan. 

I'm in the midst of a the deepest photographic hiatus I've ever struggled with, just now.  Although I carry a camera with me daily, I can't remember the last time I took it out of the bag.  I've been having a look through my hard drive for some spark of inspiration but it's had the opposite effect; I cannot believe how much crap I've taken down the years.  I'm seriously tempted to scrap it all, flog my gear and go do something else.  So little of what I've taken has any interest or artistic merit in my eyes.  It's documentary, at best.  And yet, in a few years, after I'm back to being dust, someone might be interested - not in me of my failed attempts to produce something worth looking at from an artistic standpoint - but just what life was like in the UK in the from where I stood in the years I've been photographing and keeping what I shot.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
So I've abandoned film scanning. I've sold my nikon scanner and now I'm going full film. I'll be developing and printing all my keepers.

I'm pretty much stuck using ilford MG papers and ilford warmtone developer for now But I do have some seagull paper somewhere I should play with when I get some time.

I've also got to get a proper scanner to scan my prints, just waiting for a good deal online!

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »

I'm in the midst of a the deepest photographic hiatus I've ever struggled with, just now.  Although I carry a camera with me daily, I can't remember the last time I took it out of the bag.  I've been having a look through my hard drive for some spark of inspiration but it's had the opposite effect; I cannot believe how much crap I've taken down the years.  I'm seriously tempted to scrap it all, flog my gear and go do something else.  So little of what I've taken has any interest or artistic merit in my eyes.  It's documentary, at best.  And yet, in a few years, after I'm back to being dust, someone might be interested - not in me of my failed attempts to produce something worth looking at from an artistic standpoint - but just what life was like in the UK in the from where I stood in the years I've been photographing and keeping what I shot.

Do not despair!!! Read some photography books, take the camera out of the bag and place it in your hand. Then from time to time look through the viewfinder. And when the moment comes (sooner or later) shoot just for the sake of it  ;D

Klaus

• Using 35 and 120, currently
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »
I always like to take images of areas in town which are subject to re-development, not many people do, and maybe someday they will be of interest to a wider audience. About 10 years ago we go a new shopping centre/mall with a lot of development at the periphery of the main building. When did you last hire a video? I live about a couple of KM from this area.
F60 - 200ISO probably Kodak - lab developed - bit over-processed on PSE.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 10:39:10 PM »
Blockbuster Video  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
I didn't know they still existed?
Francois

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
I guess we all know these doubts and I hope that I found my way now. I simply don't care anymore if others like my pictures, I do them for myself. On the other hand I always loved to photograph people since I got my first camera. And I liberally give away prints of these shots. It's one reason why I scan my negs and have the pictures printed for very little money. I simply don't want to spend hours, days, weeks ... in the darkroom and also couldn't afford to make so many silverprints on baryta paper. I know many of those prints will be lost, but many will also survive some decades at least. But my main impetus is to take pictures, no matter whether they are artistic or whatever and if others like them.

I also shot a lot of meaningless pics, not worth to keep. Now I shoot a lot less than 5 or 10 years ago, and try to concentrate on the subjects I like and which please me. But still I try to have a camera with me allways, I missed too many great opportunities when I had no camera with me.

Finally I'm still vain enough to talk about these things. And I love shooting film. Don't ask me why.

Just another technical side note: since I "scan" my negs with a DSLR, bellows and Rodagon lens, I almost gave up shooting color neg film. BW is so easy, I love it so much and "hybrid" combines the best of 2 worlds (analogue and digital of course). A HQ 5x7" silverprint on Kodak Royal matte paper from one of the biggest labs here coasts me 15 Euro-Cents. 8x12": 49 Euro-Cents, 12x18" for 2,49 Euro. They do it with a quality consitency that I can't achieve at home. Although it's color paper, the bw look is just perfect.

Remember: nothing lasts forever.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:11:13 PM by imagesfrugales »

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »

Hi!
Well, I think I in the midst of my first "photographic hiatus". Uff. I also carry my camera with me: film and digital, or just film ... I've plans and projects but I never find time to go ahead ... Reviewing my own pictures is a pain because I remember how I enjoy taking them but ...

Anyway...

Cheers

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 02:09:36 PM »
Don't worry, we all go through this and it lasts various amounts of time...
Francois