Author Topic: Agfa Radiographic X-Ray Film  (Read 2695 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Agfa Radiographic X-Ray Film
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:41:24 PM »
Has anyone here tried or heard of this Agfa Radiographic X-Ray film.  I ran across it on eBay and thought I would try a few rolls.  The examples shown on the listing look kind of muddy, I'm not sure why, the film expires July 2017.  Did Agfa really sell it in 135?

https://www.ebay.com/i/222430593714

This is what is written in the listing description: 
Green double-emulsion 35mm orthochromatic X-RAY film. Expiry date: 7/2017. Can be handled under red or amber safelight. ISO sensitivity varies with availability of green and blue in UV light. Shoot in daylight at ISO 25. Process at room temp with dilute developers such as HC-110, D-76, XTOL, Caffenol, Pyrocat-HD or any standard X-RAY/Radiograph fix and developer.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:43:09 PM by Bryan »

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
Re: Agfa Radiographic X-Ray Film
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:26:32 AM »
Probably one of the strangest films I've seen. Double emulsion means front and back coated like most x-ray film, but here as 35mm? I bet it was never intended to use it like that.

Despite of the rhombus logo I doubt that it's an original Agfa packaging but a "creative" garage make. And I don't think it's Rollei/Agfa ortho which looks different and is/was a HQ single emulsion product.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175110-REG/rollei_3731011_ortho_25_black_and.html

Original Agfa (Belgium) packaged x-ray film looks like that:
http://www.jakmarketing.co.uk/agfa-curix-x-ray-films
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:34:05 AM by imagesfrugales »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
I don't really see how x-ray film could be used in a 35mm camera. Most x-ray film use a phosphorus coated intensifier plate in order to get the most detail with less radiation.
Also, x-rays usually don't use a lens and are same size as the original. That implies making 35mm sized images only...
And in dental work, they put the film in protection sleeves, so no need for sprockets.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:43:31 PM »
X-ray can be used like any other ortho film. I use it in the Speed Graphic all the time. I've never seen it in roll form though. Remember the emulsion is very thin and will scratch easily when wet. Also the development times are short. I do Kodak CSG in Rodinal 1:100 for 4.5 minutes.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 05:59:12 PM »
I sent the seller a message about development and this was the response:

With D76 or standard b/w developer, process at room temperature: 5 mins dev, 7 mins fix, stop and rinse with water. I prefer to agitate every minute throughout the whole process. The photos included with the product photos show the result of following my process.

Pyrocat-HD gives superior results but is more complicated to use. I don't recommend unless you are experienced with it.

How does that compare to normal D76 times?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
Below are results from my first roll of this stuff.  The film is extremely thick for 35mm film, it was probably cut down and perforated from a larger format.  It was also very scratched, either it came that way or having the emulsion on both sides made it really easy to scratch.  It also had a lot of dust on it so like Reinhold said, it's probably a "creative garage make".  The sprocket holes didn't seem like they were made by one of the big film manufacturers, they were a bit rough around the edges. 

I developed it in Beerenol just to see how it does, turns out not very well.  It was way under developed.  I had to spend a lot of time making adjustments and cleaning up dust and scratches to get these to where they are now.  I may try Rodinal next time.  The barnacle shot was done using a Leitz Focaslide with extension tubes and I probably over exposed it which gave me a better image on the film after under-developing it. 

Barnacles by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Sculpture and Could by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bremerton Waterfront by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
X-ray film is known for being fragile. Even my dentist can't process the stuff without scratches!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »
X-ray film is known for being fragile. Even my dentist can't process the stuff without scratches!
Stop brushing so hard, you're scratching your teeth...oh wait, never mind.  ;D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 07:31:17 PM »
Someone sent me a message asking about this film but for some reason I’m blocked from responding so I figured this thread could answer any questions about it.  Pretty sure this film was cut down from a larger format and perforated, it was thick and the perforations were crude.  If I remember correctly there were only 12 shots on the roll, that’s about all they could fit in the cassette.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
The forum software allows only a small number of personal messages to be sent per hour.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 09:51:45 PM »
Hi Bryan. I sent the message. Thanks for the response. I'll pass a link to this thread to the person who was asking.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."