Author Topic: Zorki Mono - "New" B&W film  (Read 4540 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Zorki Mono - "New" B&W film
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:05:04 PM »
Zorki Photo has announced a new B&W film:

https://www.zorkiphoto.co.uk/2017/06/announcing-zorki-photo-mono-black-and-white-film/

It's sourced from "a leading film producer with many decades of film-making experience" and is "a tried-and-trusted panchromatic emulsion with a traditional feel. It has biting contrast and a traditional grain structure that gives a pleasing, classic black-and-white film look". Any guesses as to what film this "really" is?
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Re: Zorki Mono - "New" B&W film
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
No idea what the real ID of the film is, but I think the packing is quite cool, so I'll take a few and see what it's like.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »
As strange as it might seem, I might get some just for the box!
Simply gorgeous!  8)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
I jumped in my seat when I saw this, hoping it would be a rebirth of Ukrainian Svema film.
Now it´s all about the packaging design, and it´s nice!
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
Never heard about Zorki Photo before, it seems to be run by a single person living in London. I might give it a try, I'm curious about the "biting" contrast. 12 pounds for 3 films won't break the bank.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:09:18 AM »
Never heard about Zorki Photo before, it seems to be run by a single person living in London. I might give it a try, I'm curious about the "biting" contrast. 12 pounds for 3 films won't break the bank.

I thought it was Jay Fedka updating his website first :D
actually not a bad site, it's got some reviews in there and get into film texts. it's like emulsive lite in lack of a better term  ;)

He's Stephen Dowling on flickr anyway and judging by this bit...
"Made by a leading film producer with many decades of film-making experience, Zorki Photo is a tried-and-trusted panchromatic emulsion with a traditional feel. It has biting contrast and a traditional grain structure that gives a pleasing, classic black-and-white film look. It’s a film I’ve used for some years, and I love it."
...and that he has a lot of photos on fomapan 100 in his stream, I'm starting to get ideas on where this is heading. ;) Though it would be cool if it was Svema or Orwo

btw, it's up in the shop now https://www.zorkiphoto.co.uk/product/zorki-photo-mono-film/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:12:55 AM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 12:04:48 PM »
You can get Fomapan 100 for £2.88 per roll in the UK, so £4.00 per roll is perhaps a bit much just for the packaging? There has been some talk over on RFF that it might be Kentmere 100, if that is the case then I'm out. I just do not like it, I think Fomapan 100 is far better.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 01:20:32 AM »
This, couple with new films from JCh and Ferania P30...it is an exciting time to try new stock.  I am anxiously awaiting the new Ektachrome!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »
They had to change the name due to copyright but it's going to be out in November.

Everyone who has pre-ordered Kosmo Foto Mono has been very patient with regards to release dates.

I'm happy to report that production has been finalised and the film will be with me on 17 November - I'll start posting the film out to you all on the Saturday.

Many thanks for everyone's patience so far - I hope this update reassures everyone that the film production is on track. I'm sorry that the release hits the start of the European/US winter, but hopefully Northern Hemisphere photographers can shoot their films on the weekends.

There are a few hundred rolls from the first batch left - please spread the word. Every sale from here ensues another batch of the film can be made.

Thanks all - and as ever, if you have any questions, please mail me at foto.dowling@gmail.com.

Best wishes

Stephen Dowling
Kosmo Foto

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 09:19:19 PM »
As long as the packages look as good, I won't mind  ;D
And if the film turns out great, then I'll be really happy.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
He has another batch ready for sale.  I still need to shoot what I got from the first batch.

You can order film now.

The second batch of Kosmo Foto Mono has just arrived from the factory.

There are some 700 rolls left in this batch - you can order them here.

The minimum order is only three rolls, and you can order as many as 10.

Everyone who orders from this batch also goes into the hat to win a pack of 10 rolls.

Cheers

Stephen Dowling
Kosmo Foto

https://kosmofoto.com/product/kosmo-foto-mono-film/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »
Have you seen development times for this film anywhere? I cannot find anything on the website.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »
Have you seen development times for this film anywhere? I cannot find anything on the website.

There's not much on his web site but he has admitted that it's re-packaged Foma.  I suspect it's Fomapan 100, so I would go with that.

https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Fomapan+100&Developer=&mdc=Search&TempUnits=C

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »
Oh well, I buy the Fomapan 100 from Macodirect for 3.49 Euros. I think I'll stick to that.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
Yeah. Pretty boxes and when I shoot one of my other rolls I will keep the box (I try to keep the box from each kind of film I shoot), but if I was going to buy more of this type of film I'd just get another brick of Fomapan for cheaper.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »
Or just buy a bulk and self-load.... even cheaper.
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »
I calculated the cost of self-loading Fomapan 100 at some point and came to the conclusion that with the investment in the basic equipment for self-loading it would take quite a long time until I reached ROI since the 36 exp. rolls are so cheap already. Plus, the amount of time I would have to invest made me loose interest in self-loading Fomapan 100. Please note that I only looked at the prices of my standard supplier so take this with a grain of salt.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »
I actually get my bulk loaders at garage sales when I see some. Preferably with some mystery film in them. I don't think I ever paid more than a buck or two for one. They are often missing the crank, especially when it comes down to Lloyd's loaders. But the cranks are still available at freestyle.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »
I actually get my bulk loaders at garage sales when I see some. Preferably with some mystery film in them. I don't think I ever paid more than a buck or two for one. They are often missing the crank, especially when it comes down to Lloyd's loaders. But the cranks are still available at freestyle.

Thanks for mentioning that Francois, I just ordered a crank from Freestyle for a few bulk loaders I just picked up.  $3 each for two bulk loaders with old film. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 09:02:06 PM »
Those with mystery film in them are always the best ones :)
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
I have a question for you 'professional' bulk loaders. I have a roll which I will load manually in a darkroom bag, but to do that I need to know what side the emulsion is on. I assume it's on the inner side of the roll, but I would like to be sure. No point in wasting good film.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »
That's correct. The inside has the emulsion on it. Nevertheless, once the film is in the canister, you will be able to see the piece left outside and check if it is ok.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 09:44:14 PM »
Thanks MacArron! You're quite right, I would see it once it's in the canister. But it would be irritating if I at that point discovered that it was wrong.  :)
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
Also, you can tell which side is which by touch. The backing is smooth and slick while the emulsion side is softer... a bit like satin.
That's how I differentiate the sides when it comes to Arista Litho film which has no notches on the right corner...
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 11:25:46 AM »
Also, you can tell which side is which by touch. The backing is smooth and slick while the emulsion side is softer... a bit like satin.
That's how I differentiate the sides when it comes to Arista Litho film which has no notches on the right corner...
though some films are slick on both sides if I remember correctly. isn't ektar like that? not that you'd buy that in bulk but just sayin' :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
I honestly can't remember for ektar.
But since emulsion is always silver suspended in gelatin, there has to be a difference in texture.
Wetting the film could also accentuate the difference. The emulsion side would swell and become tacky while the back should remain slick.....
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 03:58:38 PM »
yeah, wetting the film should do that for sure. I just remember when I used to use the flatbed scanner I had troubles with seeing the right side on kodak color neg films specially
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
The thing with color film is that the silver gets entirely removed from the film during development, so it's harder to see the microtextures in the film.
I once tried enlarging some XP2 and had a hard time getting the darn thing focus with the grain focuser... all you see are blotches in various degrees of fuzziness.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
aaah, yeah that'd explain it. color neg is just stains of what once was >_>
/jonas