Author Topic: Rollei Vario Chrome?  (Read 2578 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Rollei Vario Chrome?
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »
Strangely I read about this on a d*g*t*l photography site, but Maco are releasing this film called Rollei Vario Chrome.

It says on Instagram (where they seem to have announced it):- "About a year ago we have been faced with the opportunity to acquire a bigger amount of high-speed slide film that was produced by one oft the major film manufacturers.  Now, as we couldn’t have a completely new emulsion made, we have decided to go with this excellent film material and make it available to the public again. ", and gives an approximate price of €9 a roll.

Wonder what it was originally?

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Rollei Vario Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »
Someone on RFF speculated that it's Agfa RSX II.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:45:25 PM »
Could be...
Makes me laugh when they talk about "high speed" film and then give it a top ISO of only 400...
Scotchchrome 1000, not that was fast slide film!
I hoe Ferrania eventually produces it once more...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:15:22 PM »
I've read about that film as well. Very interesting. It's nice that new options present themselves.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:19:36 PM »
I've read about that film as well. Very interesting. It's nice that new options present themselves.

This doesn't really seem to be a new option. It sounds like they got their hands on a bunch of bulk stock and are just rebranding and selling it until it runs out.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:37:11 PM »
Yes, that's true. But according to the Instagram post they're trying to figure out a way to offer a steady supply of slide film. Of course that only makes sense if it isn't just a rebranded film of another manufacturer as probably is the case with the current stock they're selling. I still take it as a good sign that the demand seems to be there (otherwise they wouldn't bother). And this demand may motivate other manufacturers to offer slide film as well.