Author Topic: Interesting piece on the restoration of the original Star Wars negative  (Read 1445 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Despite the clickbait title, there's some good stuff in there on the work they had to do with the original film stock. Of course, the result was the Lucas-abetted abomination that was the "updated" version of the movie, but that's beside the point.

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Thanks for sharing that, it goes into a lot of detail of the restoration process.  It's sad that they used fast fade film stock, just think of how many other films from that time period may be lost because of that.  They should make separation masters of everything before it's lost forever.  I believe that is standard practice now for preservation, even with films shot in digital. 

I have not seen the updated version of Star Wars yet but I did like the updated version of Lawrence of Arabia.  I didn't realize they added scenes to it as well but I never saw it in the theater in its original form (I'm not that old).  I had only seen edited for TV versions. 

I shared the article on the 8mm forum.  I'm just waiting to see how much they nerd out over it, they love this stuff. 

cs1

• Self-Coat
Good article! It definitely gives a pretty deep insight into analog cinematography and how the processes work. I learned a lot from the article, thanks for sharing it!

Francois

• Self-Coat
Of course, the result was the Lucas-abetted abomination that was the "updated" version of the movie, but that's beside the point
That's why the only version I can now watch is the "despecialized" version. Check Google for it, it's much better than the Lucas abomination. And yes, in that version Solo shot first.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Of course, the result was the Lucas-abetted abomination that was the "updated" version of the movie, but that's beside the point
That's why the only version I can now watch is the "despecialized" version. Check Google for it, it's much better than the Lucas abomination. And yes, in that version Solo shot first.

I have the original versions of the first trilogy on DVD, and yes, they're the only ones I'll watch.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
There's also a fan who made The Phantom Edit and Attack of the Phantom. Much better than the original...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.