Author Topic: New York 1930 to now  (Read 922 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
New York 1930 to now
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:08:37 PM »
I just found this video by The New Yorker and it mesmerized me!
They did a side by side visit of New York, 1930's on the left, 2017 on the right!
Somehow, I just loved the views on the left :)
! No longer available
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: New York 1930 to now
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »
Pity they didn't take a little more care in matching the length of the lens used. Also having the Fall/Winter season on the left and summer on the right made it seem like a "look how much better NY is than it used to be" video instead of something more enjoyably objective. But I agree that the shots on the left were fun to watch although some of the traffic seemed frightening.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:53:32 PM »
There are a few things that strike me a lot. First, there were far fewer cars on the road. Second, have you seen the line-up to get in the Natural History Museum these days? Third, cars were really beautiful in those days.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

I concur with jharr; traffic seems frightening on the left, with one cab trying to overtake while crossing the narrow bridge road (first minute)  :o

And yes, there's a clear difference between left and right in terms of season: look at the trees. Nevertheless, I can see more trees and even less cars on the right.

But I like the images of those days, the cars and delivery vans (probably without the present emission requirements  ;D ) and the way the people is dressed and looks  :)

Cheers.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six