Author Topic: Widget for developing 2x3 film in a double-reel steel tank  (Read 4550 times)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Widget for developing 2x3 film in a double-reel steel tank
« on: June 13, 2017, 03:55:29 AM »
Way back in September 2016, I asked about daylight developing tanks for 2x3 sheet film and got some fantastic suggestions back. I spent a lot of time thinking about it, looking at alternative tanks, and shooting other formats and finally decided to get off my duff and use Sandeha's suggestion and build some homemade BTZS-style developing tubes.

So, a trip to the local home improvement store, a bunch of bits later, and I found myself in need of some rubber or rubber-substitute for the light trap. An unrelated plumbing emergency and I'm back at the home improvement store three more times, and now thoroughly familiar with the plumbing section.

The last trip was more leisurely, and I spot these things called "atrium grates" used to cap PVC or ABS plastic, and I had an epiphany. For about $6 USD I bought a single 3" atrium grate and fled the premises.

Once home, I broke out the hacksaw and the sandpaper and voilà:

I believe I can easily fit five sheets, six with just a little squeeze, and it should work for 6x9 cut sheet as well. There's enough play horizontally and vertically that I'm not anticipating development issues from the grate, but time will tell. I'll post results as soon as I have them.

I have to thank Francois for his inspiration, continually thinking out of the box and pushing us all to solve our own problems.  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Widget for developing 2x3 film in a double-reel steel tank
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
That is really neat. I don't think the company that makes this rubber piece ever had this use in mind!
Somehow I just love when stuff that's not meant to work together magically does :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
the wonders of the stores like that! I gotta be more lika francois too, I'm usually too caught up in "can it be a camera?" thought process that I forget everything around :D
/jonas

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is there a chance that the 'film holder' is going to scratch the emulsion where it is in contact? Most modern emulsions have a protective layer to prevent scratches, but if you are cutting say x-ray film down for use at this size, you might have some problems. Brilliant solution though. I find myself at the home improvement store frequently because my house is old and I have teenagers, so repairs are ongoing. I too find myself wandering around looking at things and wondering how they will fit into my hobby (solutions looking for a problem). Looking forward to seeing some results!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is there a chance that the 'film holder' is going to scratch the emulsion where it is in contact?

It might. I've looked at it a couple of different ways. I might be able to bend it to keep it away from the emulsion like the taco-style holders for 2x3 pack film. I'm hoping if it'll survive a few inversions it'll be OK.